Permission to access private property

Matthews940

Jan 8, 2020
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been searching Google earth and OnX for streams and creeks with bedrock to detect on in my local area. I have found some very promising spots that are on private property. So with the information from OnX, i've started writing letters to the land owners. I try to stay as genuine and open about my intentions so I don't sound too shady. I guess I'll just have to see what happens. Anyone else have any luck with this approach?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once. or twice maybe.

I take it you are including a Self addressed stamped envelope ?

Downside seems to be Letters can be ignored the easiest.
especially if it's gonna cost 50 cents for a stamp.
I only remember 1 response at the moment. Was a "We had a Meeting and Decided not a good idea" letter, from a Scout camp .
as I said somewhere down the line years ago I may have got a go for it letter.
but can't say for sure right now. I still try occasionally. Good Luck to ya :coffee2:

Unfortunately People are more Friendly , and more easily Schmoozed when you look them in the Eyes and Smile .
And can answer their Concerns face to face.

And in the case of Groups who need to take a Meeting ?

It only takes one Member to throw a Monkey Wrench

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Jeff I agree ! My best result's were to get a county plat book for the area you want to access and give them a call to basically ,introduce yourself and ask to come see them about your intension's and "IF" you do get a O.K. then show up presentable and NOT rough looking cloths OR with some of your friends. This will give the land owner a negative view of your intension's and MOST of all , "IF" you are given the O.K. to access his property , DO what you say you'll do and keep the agreement to the letter ! And leave NO hole's , trash or cut any tree's without his approval and show him / offer him first pick on anything you find and AGAIN ,MOST of all remember the please and thankyou's and have a great time and just maybe you'll find a great friend !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another option I have mulled over for Letters ,

Include the Statement, "Because Time is important to Most People, If I Don't hear from you I will take it for granted I can go ahead & Go at it.
Please let me Know if I am Not allowed
"

I have done this at a defunct Church site Face to face with Someone I Didn't trust to Follow Through with checking for me :laughing7:

The owner showed up a few weeks later to check his mail box. and Introduced himself, but never really said if he was alerted to my request ,
or not. I don't remember if it came up .

But trying that in a Letter ? could add more Problems :dontknow:

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Face to face is the best way to ask for anything. People learn a lot about you by looking you in the eyes. We all judge a book by its cover, it’s human instinct. A smile and a handshake go a long way. At least with me they do.

OP
OP
Matthews940

Matthews940

Jan 8, 2020
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you guys are saying. Ideally, meeting face to face would be the first thing I'd like to do. I am reluctant to do so for a couple reasons. Addresses are PO boxes, and the area of the property. My dad was the postmaster in the town I'm looking at, and he's told me that these are people who have intentionally made the effort to live in the country to avoid people, local and federal laws. Backwoods you could say. I could see them being defensive even if I was to approach them on their property. In my letters I really did my best to describe myself and a very decent person. I put my address, email and phone number, suggesting they contact me if they want more information on me. The owners of the properties are typically seniors, and the acreage is huge. Like in the hundreds and thousands, so hopefully someone metal detecting on such a large lot isn't a big deal to them.

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havnt ever written a letter but I have had good luck talking to the land owner in person. That being said the only times I have talked to a land owner about prospecting, I wasn't just knocking on doors. The conversation came up by chance at a work site or I met a friend of a friend. One time I was on blm and I met the property ownerof the parcel right next to the blm. He was out riding his dirt bike. I had a good conversation and he invited me to his house and showed me some really nice gold and gave me permission to go out there and detect if I only bring myself and call first..I stick to public lands around Here. The possibilities are endless. Yes all the obvious spots have been hammered. But there is thousands of acres of open ground in this gold belt here, just need to keep hiking and brush busting..the brush is super thick and the terrain is extreme in places.. but dang I bet some of those off limits areas are pretty rich. Good on you for doing the right thing. All you can do is try. It doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe you will score an awesome stretch of bedrock that hasn't been detected before.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main choice to send a Letter are when the Owner is from another state.
No other options available since I hate phone calls from strangers, unless they would respond with a Number and the words "call Me"

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If lots of these guys are older land owner out in the sticks then try the local gas station in the morning. Every town around me has a old mans gas station club. Mostly old farmers that sit and drink coffee while shooting the breeze. Easily approachable situation, ya never know who you’ll meet.

My wife wanders how I strike the deals I do, or meet some of the oddest people. It’s because I’m not afraid to chat up a stranger. Many people are naturally talkative but often reserved at first because we live in such a backward ass world anymore.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Matthews940

Matthews940

Jan 8, 2020
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a call from one of the land owners that I mailed a letter to. He was a very nice guy. Wanted to know more about me. I did use my veteran card. Only because it does honestly reflect my character positively. He was very grateful. Thanked me for my service and that I asked for permission, instead of just trespassing. But he denied my request. He said it was both a liability issue, and he already has a friend panning for gold, and he didn't want me stepping on his toes. He did say if anything changes, that he would let me know. So over all, I'm glad I mailed him a letter, and I am glad I got a positive response. Even though it didn't end in my favor. Who knows, maybe he'll rethink his decision, or he might know another land owner and send me their way.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Trade work. Offer to pull brush (benefit to you), fix fence in trade for some detecting privileges. " Ill make a defensible space around your property, clean up around those rock piles" insurance is cheap if that is their issue, itll pay for itself rather quickly.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
you could be like some people I wont name but everyone knows and just trespass and pillage their land, leave huge craters and move onto the next property and steal from them too... Or like other people I know who were unaware they had crossed into the adjacent property and be caught by the land owner, who after a quick conversation he had permission to hunt that property as well... Im not that lucky, I have only gotten permission from happenstance that I was working on their house and got to earn their trust, then after the job was done I asked permission.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe you will score an awesome stretch of bedrock that hasn't been detected before.

yeah, usually the day after Halloween when everyone else is hung over and im behind their house in the green belt picking up those nuggets while josh is sleeping away. 8-)

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, usually the day after Halloween when everyone else is hung over and im behind their house in the green belt picking up those nuggets while josh is sleeping away. 8-)

It was a couple days before halloween..2017 ...im going to have to live with this the rest of my life lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even look at mail anymore. Face to face is best. It's also tough. And don't wear camo.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve written two letters over the last few years, the last one just a few weeks ago. Both times a got a very friendly phone call with permission being granted both times. This was on vacant farm land that was only used for hunting and my request was just after hunting season ended for the year. I’m about to send letters to some vacated houses in my town. I’m using information from the county property appraisers website. It’s difficult to get phone numbers these days so the politeness of a letter is my only choice. As another poster mentioned, liability issues....I specifically mentioned in my letter that if given permission I would agree to hold harmless anyone or entity from liability. Never give up, there are some very nice a generous people in this world.
Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
I just asked trespass permission to access landlocked public property and got the ok, and he declined my offerings in exchange for access. It was happenstance that I happened to be looking for access points and noticed a familiar name on a property, and just so happens he was working down the street from my job, so when I saw him I swung in and told him about my hobby and asked permission to cross his property to get to it. He said "park up by the house so my neighbors dont call you in" simple as that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread