first nuggs with the 6000

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got in 3.5-4 hrs this morn before the heat and the bugs were terrible. Hit an area I've hit with the Monster and the sdc at least 10 times and things were getting real slim. This was my test area for the 6000 as it'd been hammered by myself and a few others. Machine got 4 more with a couple pretty good ones and all were deeper than I'm used to digging with the small ones in the 4-6" range and the biggest one was 12" and next biggest 9-10". Threshold stability is terrible but a noise cancel fixes that but you'll be doing lots of them...take about 4-5 seconds. I'm impressed, it gets Goldmonster sized tinys AT DEPTH and definately has more depth than the sdc but I'm surely gonna miss that SDC stable threshold.... Anyways 3.258 grams in first 3-4hrs in pounded patch...I'm impressed!!!!!

gpx.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah....me too!!!! Last season was a fluke, about 4-5 nuggs accounted for about 5.5ozt. of the 8ozt. I'll be talking/remembering about last season for a long time...lol This season so far the biggest "slug" is 2.5g. piece count is over 200 so far and still having fun. I'll take what the ground gives me and be happy it still gives.....
thanks for the words GT...

But you know what a streak of luck is, so you have the knowledge to make it happen again. I had my streak of luck same time you had yours, though id say you got me beat, I blame it on lack of time to get out. I dont wonder if theres a 1 lb nugget left, I wonder where it is. Id joke to my wife..." gunna go get that 1 oz nugget today, Ill settle for a 2 ozer".... now ive replaced the joke with " going to dig that 1 pounder today, I think I know right where it is"

OP
OP
oneguy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But you know what a streak of luck is, so you have the knowledge to make it happen again. I had my streak of luck same time you had yours, though id say you got me beat, I blame it on lack of time to get out. I dont wonder if theres a 1 lb nugget left, I wonder where it is. Id joke to my wife..." gunna go get that 1 oz nugget today, Ill settle for a 2 ozer".... now ive replaced the joke with " going to dig that 1 pounder today, I think I know right where it is"

You're talking lbs. and I'm talking grams this season...lmao. Only got 1 nugg today and it weighed out at .150g....lol Where I'm hunting it's getting to be slim pickens. Lots of good ground but steep, timbered, brushy, and throw in the fires, smoke. Could be booted out anytime, that's the kind of season I'm having so far but still having fun and even tho smalls I always seem to come home with something yellow!!!!

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Its tough finding new ground. Ive found plenty of spots people have missed, but without the time to search, I find myself going to the same places that may have something, but have been meticulously searched multiple times. Best days are almost always on new ground.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're talking lbs. and I'm talking grams this season...lmao. Only got 1 nugg today and it weighed out at .150g....lol Where I'm hunting it's getting to be slim pickens. Lots of good ground but steep, timbered, brushy, and throw in the fires, smoke. Could be booted out anytime, that's the kind of season I'm having so far but still having fun and even tho smalls I always seem to come home with something yellow!!!!

I hear you on the forest fires and getting booted out; it's happened to me several times, but I guess it's better to get out when the getting's good rather than get trapped.

Came awful close one season, the forest fire came right around the corner of the mountain where we were detecting. Water bomber came hard on its tail and pounded it with a full load, were we ever grateful. That one was too close.

All the best, and good luck with the rest of the season. Congrats on your new detector as well,

Lanny

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
People aleways think they can out run a fire and often you can't. Your gambling with your life if you don't get out as early as possible. I've seen it happen often no one moves untill they last minute and then they can't move because of grid lock and die. In the back country fire can engulf roads in a heartbeat leaving you no way out. Please don't mess with fire. Better to leave wait untill things are under control then go back to looking for the pot of gold.

OP
OP
oneguy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you on the forest fires and getting booted out; it's happened to me several times, but I guess it's better to get out when the getting's good rather than get trapped.

Came awful close one season, the forest fire came right around the corner of the mountain where we were detecting. Water bomber came hard on its tail and pounded it with a full load, were we ever grateful. That one was too close.

All the best, and good luck with the rest of the season. Congrats on your new detector as well,

Lanny

You been out yet Lanny....????? Had one fire 4-5mi from where I'm digging that was a threat last week but contained now. Supposed to rain pretty good Sun. and Mon.....fingers crossed?
Here's where I'm at mid season. Should be 223 bits in pic and added 27 more bits not in pic for a mid-season 250 bit count as of today (got 12 today). Still grinding on the tiny's but I'll take em.....

mid2.JPG

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
You been out yet Lanny....????? Had one fire 4-5mi from where I'm digging that was a threat last week but contained now. Supposed to rain pretty good Sun. and Mon.....fingers crossed?
Here's where I'm at mid season. Should be 223 bits in pic and added 27 more bits not in pic for a mid-season 250 bit count as of today (got 12 today). Still grinding on the tiny's but I'll take em.....

attachment.php

itty bitty pieces like that is for kids, us men are after stuff you can get a grip on
attachment.php
:occasion14:

Attachments

• IMG_20170419_125728316.jpg
    IMG_20170419_125728316.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 129

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
itty bitty pieces like that is for kids, us men are after stuff you can get a grip on
attachment.php
:occasion14:

That is a spectacular piece of gold in quartz you have there. Ive never seen anything like it

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
People aleways think they can out run a fire and often you can't. Your gambling with your life if you don't get out as early as possible. I've seen it happen often no one moves untill they last minute and then they can't move because of grid lock and die. In the back country fire can engulf roads in a heartbeat leaving you no way out. Please don't mess with fire. Better to leave wait untill things are under control then go back to looking for the pot of gold.

Great advice, couldn't agree more.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

attachment.php

That is a great haul, lots of fun gathering those bits in and lots of hard work to boot I'll bet!

As for being out chasing the gold, we head out next week to check on the camp and see where the closest fires are now burning. We've been unable to go until now, and I'm not sure how long the fire-safety-window will remain open. But, I hope we'll get a little gold at least. Nothing's for sure right now with new fires popping up all the time. We had some rain last week that dampened things a bit, so here's to hoping.

You're really tearing it up this summer with the sheer number of finds, nicely done!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
oneguy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
too bad about your late start but at least you may finally get started? Taking the day off today as the smoke from all the fires has been real bad last few days. Got 26,000 acre one going 2 miles from the shack as I type. Thank god it's on the other side of the river and doubt it'll get over on my side. They've been pretty good at protecting homes in the valley. I'm a heavy smoker and "usually" have no problem working thru this kinda smoke crap but on Fri. I had a headache and eyes burning a bit....but still managed 37 bits for 1.6g before I had to call it. Happy with my #'s so far but the weight just hasn't been there this season so far?

Looks like we may get a dab of rain this week, hope you guys get some too. Good luck out there Lanny!!!!!!

pic below found with Goldmonster

cracky.JPG

Last edited:

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
too bad about your late start but at least you may finally get started? Taking the day off today as the smoke from all the fires has been real bad last few days. Got 26,000 acre one going 2 miles from the shack as I type. Thank god it's on the other side of the river and doubt it'll get over on my side. They've been pretty good at protecting homes in the valley. I'm a heavy smoker and "usually" have no problem working thru this kinda smoke crap but on Fri. I had a headache and eyes burning a bit....but still managed 37 bits for 1.6g before I had to call it. Happy with my #'s so far but the weight just hasn't been there this season so far?

Looks like we may get a dab of rain this week, hope you guys get some too. Good luck out there Lanny!!!!!!

pic below found with Goldmonster

attachment.php

If thats what the goldmonster found why did you buy a gpx? What bothers me about the gpx is that there is no mention of a target indicator on the display like most others. What have you found with your gpx 6000?

OP
OP
oneguy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A person that takes the hobby seriously needs both a hot vlf and a PI machine to be fully rounded. They both compliment each other and in certain situations one is preferable over the other and sometimes I even carry both on easy ground. No need for any target indicators or screens on a PI as they detect ALL metal, no disc so to speak and go deeper than a vlf. Many locations I hunt first with vlf then go thru again with the PI.... 39 bits with the 6 so far but don't use it much but I have it when needed....

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats all and well if you have good hearing but some like me have severe hearing loss on all frequencies except low ones. I've come to rely on input both ways in the past. But don't yet have a pi and the gpx was, is likely going to be my first one. 39 bits?? with the gpx? Thats not bad.
Thanks for the input

OP
OP
oneguy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats all and well if you have good hearing but some like me have severe hearing loss on all frequencies except low ones. I've come to rely on input both ways in the past. But don't yet have a pi and the gpx was, is likely going to be my first one. 39 bits?? with the gpx? Thats not bad.
Thanks for the input

No offense at all but I get the impression you haven't done much gold detecting? If I'm right...my advice would be to hold off on the 6, ****-can the AT, spend your dough on an Equinox 800 AND THE 6" COIL.... From what a few of the real gold hunting hot dogs say...the eq800 is a little deeper and just as hot on the tiny stuff as the GM1000. It has visual ID #'s on a screen and will do double duty as an excellant coin shooter and better than the AT. The eq800 will have a learning curve to achieve Monster like capabilities on gold bits that won't happen over night but after time you should be able to out perform a Monster? On the other hand...nothing wrong with a Monster, you'll have it figured 70% right out of the box...the other 30% after some time, real easy machine to use. Save the dough on a 6 for later if you end up really taking to gold tecting. jmo......

OP
OP
oneguy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I almost forgot the most important benefit of a PI. A PI for the most part will completely ignore all those pesky hot rocks a hot vlf struggles with. When a PI hits a target there's gonna be some type of metal under that coil......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread