Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Morning Lanny,
Nope, I've not made it out yet though it is possible that it will happen later this year! I am looking forward to it and so are my BGT mini, new gold pan, climbing/safety ropes, tent, Insurance Policy, etc.!!!!!!!...............Glad to hear you are doing well and that you are heading back out shortly, keep the smile going with new finds!..................63bkpkr aka Herb

Wow Herb, you've got a lot of things to line up before you get out, and with the heat-wave you're having, later in the season does sound better. Dropped in quick to do some essentials about the place before heading back out again. The gold is still running good, which keeps a smile on my face, lots of hard work in the heat, but fun regardless when the nuggets pop out of the bedrock.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks! I was on a few years ago and just getting back. Love this forum.

Thanks so much for dropping in to say so! I truly appreciate it.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure I would have remembered. [emoji3]
I now know if I do run into something similar I need to pay attention and not pass it up.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comment, and that happened a while back, but I still remember it like it was yesterday, quite a shock actually, but I've found then sticking to clay since then as well, so it's something to watch out for for sure.

All the best, and thank for dropping in,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forest fires drove us out, lots of wildfires, worst season ever.

Home safe and sound, but concerned for those that live in the mountains as forecast is for hot and dry again, need rain.

Got lots of nice nuggets with the detector, broke in a rookie that got some nice nuggets to boot, stories to come when the freeze-up hits and the ground takes on the solid character of icy concrete.

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst ever here also Lanny. Can't see 100 yards at times from the incessant smoke plus ungodly humidity and heat also. The devils summer in Northern Calif with fires north,south,east and west of town..All of those massive beautiful homes along the trinity from Big bar upriver to Junction City GONE. 92 houses 66 structures was the last I saw on tv. sic sic sic-John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Worst ever here also Lanny. Can't see 100 yards at times from the incessant smoke plus ungodly humidity and heat also. The devils summer in Northern Calif with fires north,south,east and west of town..All of those massive beautiful homes along the trinity from Big bar upriver to Junction City GONE. 92 houses 66 structures was the last I saw on tv. sic sic sic-John

The fires this summer have been unbelievable, ash falling all over, dense smoke with low visibility as you've stated John, all around awful conditions, plus hot uncomfortable temperatures making for a devil's summer up here as well.

So sorry to hear about all of the loss of property, such a terrible tragedy that no one deserves to be impacted by.

I hope you are safe and well in your location, low visibility here again today as the prevailing air currents and winds are westerlies here where we live in close proximity to the mountains, take care, and all the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lanny,
Today, 15 Sept 17, is my last day at my "job"! Tomorrow I start the preparations to leave for the mountains, the drive to NorCal will begin 23 Sept. There will be several stops along the way to visit friends though I anticipate being in the Sierra Nevada Mountains 26 to 27 Sept. I will begin slowly at prospecting though most likely I will dive into "MY CANYON" within a week of being there, so early October to be along the river. I plan on staying "out there" till the snow starts and then I will come back to some city somewhere.

All my best wishes for success to everyone!....................63bkpkr

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Lanny,
Today, 15 Sept 17, is my last day at my "job"! Tomorrow I start the preparations to leave for the mountains, the drive to NorCal will begin 23 Sept. There will be several stops along the way to visit friends though I anticipate being in the Sierra Nevada Mountains 26 to 27 Sept. I will begin slowly at prospecting though most likely I will dive into "MY CANYON" within a week of being there, so early October to be along the river. I plan on staying "out there" till the snow starts and then I will come back to some city somewhere.

Herb, your Canyon was really worked over by the rains this winter - entire gravel bars have been shifted. Poison oak leaves have dropped off mostly - weather is just shifting making for an easier hike in.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Lanny,

Herb,

At last the grand adventure you've dreamed of begins! I'm so happy for you that you get the chance to head back into the hills to chase the gold again. I know too that you return to your fabled canyon wiser and more appreciative of the challenges you'll face, yet eager to try to solve some of Mother Nature's golden mysteries. In league with you, I too know what it is to yearn to answer the call of the wild, to probe the mysteries of the eons of geological time, and I'm glad you get the chance to linger in the mountains as you prospect your way to those anticipated pleasant and lasting memories. I truly hope you find some nice gold this time out, but more than that, I wish for you a fulfillment of the thing you have had to delay for so long when your mountain prospecting and dreams of exploration were put on indefinite hold.

All the best fellow prospector and explorer, and stay safe as you follow the gold and your heart,

Lanny

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy Birthday Lanny!!! Yes we saw that October 31st was your birthday and couldn't resist noting it here!! You're probably away at present hunting gold while you can still get out there, but when you return home there'll be this nice surprise waiting for you. So... Happy Birthday and Many Happy Returns today and throughout the coming year. Thankyou for all the hard work you put into your superlative gold hunting presentations to this forum.

:occasion13:

Your Admirers,
Jim and Joanne Hemmingway

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Catch Jim!:icon_thumleft:

Happy Birthday Lanny!! :occasion14:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Lanny, I too hope you had a fine and golden birthday. Fall is heavy upon us and winter around the corner. I look forward to a telling of your adventures.

Mike

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Happy Birthday Lanny!!! Yes we saw that October 31st was your birthday and couldn't resist noting it here!! You're probably away at present hunting gold while you can still get out there, but when you return home there'll be this nice surprise waiting for you. So... Happy Birthday and Many Happy Returns today and throughout the coming year. Thankyou for all the hard work you put into your superlative gold hunting presentations to this forum.

:occasion13:

Your Admirers,
Jim and Joanne Hemmingway

Jim,

Thanks so much for dropping in to wish me a happy birthday, much appreciated! And, many thanks for your ongoing kind words about my thread.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great Catch Jim!:icon_thumleft:

Happy Birthday Lanny!! :occasion14:

Thanks Terry for the birthday wishes. I appreciate you taking the time to drop in.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you have a great day Lanny. Your stories are a treat for us and you've showed us many tricks -thanks-John

John,

Always great to hear from you, and thanks for leaving the birthday wishes, and thanks for your kind words as well, always appreciated.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Lanny, I too hope you had a fine and golden birthday. Fall is heavy upon us and winter around the corner. I look forward to a telling of your adventures.

Mike

Mike, many thanks for the happy birthday wishes, and I'm not quite ready to share the summer's stories yet, but it was very productive!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread