Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . . - Page 192
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 192 of 192 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192
Results 2,866 to 2,879 of 2879
Like Tree3839Likes

Thread: Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5339 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    If a person explores for long enough they will eventually find their first cabin and it seems like after the first more are easier to come by. I've seen many tumbled down 'homes' of the miners from tiny one room affairs some of wood (hewn logs, milled wood) some of stacked rocks (Chinese workers I suspect), more elaborate two story buildings and a few Ten Stamp Mill houses as well as a couple just big enough to turn around in. The stuff that piques my attention is when I'm out Bushwhacking going straight up a mountain side and I come across an old cut limb, so old the cut end is black. At those moments my mind spins wondering how long ago was some other person crawling up this same hill cutting their way through the thickest of it?! Come to think of it, I've only found one obvious grave, that of Joe Steiner in Green Valley.

Thank you Lanny for the pleasure of the reading and the writing! Herb
    Hi Herb, I appreciate your comments about cabins, and I know what a lover of wilderness adventure you are.

I've come across old cabins in the strangest places sometimes, and I'm amazed at how well some of those sites were deliberately concealed. The original builders did not want anyone that was wandering by anywhere near to have a clue they were near a cabin.

As for graves, I haven't found one in the middle of nowhere yet, just graves near old gold-rush townsites, but interestingly enough, not all of them are in the designated cemeteries; some are on lonely hillsides, down in gulches, etc.

I've even been to old cabin sites that are so old there's no wood left, just the outline in the ground of where the logs were, and crumbled bits of wood is all that's left of the old structures as Nature takes over once again.

What amazes me is the recycling that happened in a lot of cabins, old square nails and modern nails combined as a lot of cabins from the 1800's were refurbished in the rush to the goldfields in the 1930's, then again in the 50's and 60's, but it seems like from that point on, the cabins were abandoned.

Gold mining in the middle of nowhere is a tough life, and it takes a truly hardy type to make of a go of it, and most people have found an easier way to make a living in today's world. (If anyone ever tries to tell you gold mining is an easy life, they've never been serious about depending on finding gold.)

All the best,

Lanny
    OwenT and Jim Hemmingway like this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4549 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    [ Quote from Lanny:Gold mining in the middle of nowhere is a tough life, and it takes a truly hardy type to make of a go of it, and most people have found an easier way to make a living in today's world. (If anyone ever tries to tell you gold mining is an easy life, they've never been serious about depending on finding gold.) ]

I may have touched on this realization once or twice! But I still go out. The snow in the NorCal Sierras is still melting though the CFS flows on "MY" river are going down, so that's good!!

"But I still go out" - IF the conditions look right I will head North in 16 days. Likely I will stop along the way to visit friends so it may take me till 20 days before I crest the 7000' ridges.

I've a job waiting for me on my return. "IF" it works out as well as hoped then I will move to a different state ASAP, Idaho is the most likely state though I hear they do not like Californians and I can not blame them. I will explain that originally I'm from Michigan, that might give me a chance to show them I'm OK.

Regards, Herb
    Lanny in AB and Terry Soloman like this.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5339 times
    Prospecting
    [ Quote from Lanny:Gold mining in the middle of nowhere is a tough life, and it takes a truly hardy type to make of a go of it, and most people have found an easier way to make a living in today's world. (If anyone ever tries to tell you gold mining is an easy life, they've never been serious about depending on finding gold.) ]

I may have touched on this realization once or twice! But I still go out. The snow in the NorCal Sierras is still melting though the CFS flows on "MY" river are going down, so that's good!!

"But I still go out" - IF the conditions look right I will head North in 16 days. Likely I will stop along the way to visit friends so it may take me till 20 days before I crest the 7000' ridges.

I've a job waiting for me on my return. "IF" it works out as well as hoped then I will move to a different state ASAP, Idaho is the most likely state though I hear they do not like Californians and I can not blame them. I will explain that originally I'm from Michigan, that might give me a chance to show them I'm OK.

Regards, Herb
    Great to know you're planning another expedition, and just so you know, there's good gold in Idaho too (and some opal), so you won't have to stop chasing the good stuff if you move there. Lots of beautiful mountain scenery as well, plus there's miles and miles of lava tubes that house ice caverns with all kinds of cool features (literally) if poking around in such places is something your'e interested in. Lots of fun to be had in Idaho, plus some great fishing to boot.

All the best,

Lanny
    Jim Hemmingway likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Apr 2013
    Clam Gulch, AK
    Whites GMT E-series
    133 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny in AB View Post
    Herb, thanks for the compliment on the story, and thanks for your little story as well, enjoyed reading it.

As for the DEET, and bug spray, it does have to be used sparingly as too much is just too much for sure. I prefer Muskol brand, and it's somewhere around 30% DEET, but whatever else they put in it, works.

I always spray some on the top of my hat, on the bill, wear long-sleeve white shirts, spray around the ankles, tuck pants into socks to stop the black flies from crawling up my legs, button the top collar button on the shirt, wear gloves whenever possible, spray around shirt cuffs, spray behind ears, rub some repellent around the inside part of the ear (not down onto the eardrum), but once it gets hot, the sweat works the spray off, and the process starts all over again.

As for the materials impregnated with the chemical Owen is talking about, both DEET and Permethrin are chemicals that need to be used carefully, with Permethrin being an actual poison that truly kills bugs, whereas DEET is a repellent.

I have never seen hordes of bugs like I saw in the north, insanely huge clouds that built into living walls of bugs, nuts really how many there were, and every one of them in a big hurry to feed as the breeding season for them is much shorter than here in the southern parts closer to the US border.

The bugs really do make it quite distasteful for nugget shooting, and when headphones are worn, wherever the repellent sweats off, the bugs attack, kind of a constant battle really. Spraying the ears works quite well for general prospecting, but headphones keep the bugs out of the ear canal, but then, as previously mentioned, the sweat areas allow the bugs to attack. So, if using an external speaker, the ears would be open to attack all of the time, so tradeoffs both ways.

All the best, and thanks for your little story and for your response, much appreciated,

Lanny
    I only use 100%

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    5339 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ProspectorALEX View Post
    I only use 100%
    I've never tried the 100%, but I have heard of it though. Glad you like it. Do you buy it online?

All the best,

Lanny

us
    Apr 2013
    Clam Gulch, AK
    Whites GMT E-series
    133 times
    Prospecting
    Most outdoors stores here sell it in 4oz spray bottles here.
    Lanny in AB likes this.

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    5339 times
    Prospecting
    Got to do a bit of detecting for gold this summer, but not a lot, yet found some nice, sassy gold nuggets.

Spent far more time travelling and taking it easy this summer than I have in a long, long time.

Off to visit warmer climates for a while, going to take a break from the land of the frozen chosen.

All the best,

Lanny

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4549 times
    Hello Lanny, there are those times when things do not go as expected, I had a summer full of them. The first trip ended quickly as I thought I may have damaged
    the surgery to my left shoulder. It took a month before I could be seen by an Orthopedic Doctor and only a few minutes for him to tell me the shoulder was fine.

Well, if its fine I'm going back out! Reached the mountains in early September. Took a few light hikes just to test things out and I was OK. My first effort would be
    to locate that massive quartz deposit, it turned out to be a lot of effort. In 2009 the area had been involved in a heavy duty forest fire, burning many trees right to
    their tops. Those trees became weaker and then recently snapped off and as gravity is still viable the trees fell to the ground, lots of them fell. When the trunks hit
    the tall bushes, the bushes sort of flattened out in all directions and covered my trail over. So I managed to find another way down the hill. As I walked the last
    fallen tree and just before I stepped off of it I noticed the ground below me had been cleared down to dirt. I've never seen anything like this before. I stepped from
    the log and inspected the dirt for tracks but could see nothing. At the furthest edge of the open dirt patch was a large bush with sunlight coming from the back of the
    bush. I looked into the illuminated bush but saw nothing but bush. I walked around the bush and past it, I then noticed on the back side of the bush another patch
    of exposed dirt. I walked out maybe 60 feet from the bush to confirm I was through the worst of the mess, it was now 3 PM and not wanting to over exert myself
    I decided to return up the hill to my Bronco to spend the night. Up past the bush, walk across the dirt spot, back up on the log and onto my new trail and then
    behind me was a lot of noise. I turned to see a Black Bear exiting the bush, it turned away from me and ran through the heavy cover on the hillside. I had been
    3 to 5 feet from the bear in that bush!

I did not return to that spot as I realized there was a large quantity of ripe berries in the area that could be drawing more than one bear to them and with the heavy
    brush I would not see them and at some point one of them would come out to shake hands with me. Drat! The next hike down the canyon wall to the river did not
    go well either as the trail had seen a great deal of erosion in the past two years making it super hard to hike it. In fact, the trail nearly did me in. So, 2019 hiking
    did not go well and the job I thought I had went away. Sigh

I hope you summer was very enjoyable............63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    5339 times
    Prospecting
    Hello Lanny, there are those times when things do not go as expected, I had a summer full of them. The first trip ended quickly as I thought I may have damaged
    the surgery to my left shoulder. It took a month before I could be seen by an Orthopedic Doctor and only a few minutes for him to tell me the shoulder was fine.

I hope you summer was very enjoyable............63bkpkr
    I enjoyed reading of your summer adventure and misadventure. I'm glad to know that you came out on the good side of a bear encounter. I've had many, and only a few were sketchy, as the rest of the bears quickly hightailed it for the trees, much like yours did. The problem bears are the ones to watch out for, and it sounds like yours wasn't one of that nasty type.

It's amazing how quickly nature can change a trail or an entire forest, so it's sad you didn't get to investigate the areas you'd been planning on visiting, yet I understand and can relate to your frustrations.

I am glad to hear that your shoulder is doing well, as you are yourself.

Good to know you got out there, but sad to hear that the job didn't materialize. . . .

Had a great summer as I spent most of it with family and friends, but I did get in a tiny bit of metal detecting/nugget shooting at the very end of the season, found nine nuggets that day, largest just under six grams, fun afternoon!

All the best,

Lanny
    Terry Soloman likes this.

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    5339 times
    Prospecting
    Catch and Release Gold:

Did something the end of the summer season I haven't done before.

I went to visit a friend of mine that runs a large placer operation.They had made a cut 70 feet deep to bedrock, and they'd piled the dirt up near their huge washplant to be processed. After the large run was finished, there was a small pile of pay left on the big area they'd scraped to push up the remainder of the piled paydirt.

My friend told me to take my detector over to the pile to have a bit of fun. I was shocked by his offer, but of course, I giddy-upped to the site and started swinging my detector. Within minutes I had my first repeatable good signal that was pinning at 40 on the Bug Pro. Using my Garrett Carrot, I'd soon pinpointed a nice, flat nugget in the pile.

I kept working my way around the pile, up and over the pile, and worked my way carefully all the way around the bottom of the pay-pile. In this way, I recovered 5 sassy nuggets, which was much like shooting fish in a barrel, but way more fun.

However, my gold fever brain kept nudging me to try to the scraped area around the pile, a much larger undertaking, so I headed out into the wilderness of flatness . . .

About ten feet out from the pile, I got a good signal under a rock about twice the size of my fist. At least, that's what I thought. But, when I levered the rock out (which was a hot rock), the signal was more to the front of the rock (as it faced the direction of the pay pile). The hot rock had been distorting the signal.

I scanned the hole again where the rock had been, and sure enough, the signal was coming from the area described above, and its signal was pinning in the 60 range on the digital display of the Bug Pro. I used the Garrett Carrot to pinpoint the signal, and it sure came back nice and loud! Moreover, I could see the edge of the nugget.

I reached down at the tip of the Carrot and pulled out a flat and sassy nugget of just under six grams! (The flatness was likely why it read so high on the digital meter.)

I kept working the scraped area and recovered another three nuggets, so by the time the rain hit to stop the party, I'd pulled out nine sweet nuggets in total, weighing in at over a third of an ounce.

It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

Of course there were lots of bits of steel blade and track shavings, but the gold was consistent due to the loaded nature of the area I was working.

I made my way over to my friend's truck to show him what I'd found, and he was surprised that I'd found the biggest nuggets in the scraped area, and he assured me they would sure scrape deep before they were finished with the pay-pile area.

I decided to give him all nine of the nuggets, even though he wanted me to keep some of them, as he's been great to me over the years to let me detect on his claims wherever and whenever.

Fun, fun catch and release day.

All the best,

Lanny

us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    23677 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You're a good man Charlie Brown!

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    5339 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    You're a good man Charlie Brown!
    Thanks Terry, appreciate you dropping in to leave a comment.

All the best,

Lanny
    Terry Soloman likes this.

us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    6098 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Was kind of getting worried, haven't seen you around for a while. Glad to see that your back, and felt that you were on to something good.
    Lanny in AB likes this.

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    5339 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by old digger View Post
    Was kind of getting worried, haven't seen you around for a while. Glad to see that your back, and felt that you were on to something good.
    Thanks, and great to hear from you again; moreover, I hope things are going well for you in the great state of Montana!

All the best,

Lanny
    old digger likes this.

Sponsored Links