Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 70 of 176 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2631
Like Tree3065Likes

Thread: Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1036
    us
    Medicine/Holy Man

    May 2010
    California
    Whites MXT, Whites TDI
    1,857
    582 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny in AB View Post
    Eagle,

    The Great State of California is mighty beautiful as I recall--world-class in fact. I hope you're still getting out every once in a while to chase some of that fine 49'er gold.

    All the best, and thanks for your nice compliments,

    Lanny
    As I stated, your country is truly beautiful! California is (in some parts) truly beautiful also, but politics are quickly
    changing that. The river that I've dredged and prospected on for over 50 years has been classified as "Wild and
    Scenic", which means; no claims with-in a quarter mile of the river. Hey, guess where the most gold is.

    All the best to you too my friend,

    Eagle

  2. #1037
    Charter Member

    Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4,776
    4481 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleDown View Post
    As I stated, your country is truly beautiful! California is (in some parts) truly beautiful also, but politics are quickly
    changing that. The river that I've dredged and prospected on for over 50 years has been classified as "Wild and
    Scenic", which means; no claims with-in a quarter mile of the river. Hey, guess where the most gold is.

    All the best to you too my friend,

    Eagle
    Now that is a tragedy Eagle. That must be very difficult for you to lose such a productive stretch of river, and misguided politics are always a truly lamentable thing.

    I see that on your thread people have been reaping the rewards of following your golden advice--it's fun to see them succeed.

    All the best to my friend, the golden story teller of California,

    Lanny

    P.S. Here's another photo for you.

    Last edited by Lanny in AB; Sep 08, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

  3. #1038
    us
    Sep 2012
    So Cal
    Minelab 705 gold pack
    2
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Lanny,
    I'm a newbie not only to MD but also to this forum. Took me a couple days to go through this thread... awesome info and reading! I took advantage of every opportunity to come back and read a bit more. I'm sure I will be rereading it to try and gain more knowledge from you and the other posters.

    I don't have a MD and I have been looking at the Xterra 705 gold pack. Have you been able to try out your 705? What do you think, should I save up my change and go for a PI? I know everyone has their own opinions and I do plan on going to a local place and window shop.

    Thanks for your time! Can't wait to get out there... I think my temp is steadily rising from all your pics.

  4. #1039
    Charter Member

    Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4,776
    4481 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by rockadile View Post
    Lanny,
    I'm a newbie not only to MD but also to this forum. Took me a couple days to go through this thread... awesome info and reading! I took advantage of every opportunity to come back and read a bit more. I'm sure I will be rereading it to try and gain more knowledge from you and the other posters.

    I don't have a MD and I have been looking at the Xterra 705 gold pack. Have you been able to try out your 705? What do you think, should I save up my change and go for a PI? I know everyone has their own opinions and I do plan on going to a local place and window shop.

    Thanks for your time! Can't wait to get out there... I think my temp is steadily rising from all your pics.
    Hi there and welcome! I have used my 705, but my big focus with it so far has been for coins--it's a great coin machine. However, it is also suited to hunt gold with the DD in gold mode. I don't know how big your gold is that you're hunting, but in a lot of places, it seems you'll need something very sensitive to find small gold in areas that have been heavily worked. The 705 comes with coils in different KHZ for different sized targets/different hunting conditions. So, for smaller gold, you'd probably want to try the 6 inch DD, 18.75 KHZ for maximum sensitivity--that's the next coil I'll be trying out on it when I take it back to the gold fields. Last trip to the gold fields with it, I only had the elliptical DD and the area had been hunted heavily and only tiny gold was left--I didn't get any hits with the bigger coil, but with the smaller sniper coil it will probably up the sensitivity to small gold. That's the one down-side to the 705--you have to buy different coils for different applications for different KHZ operational capability. I don't know why Minelab did that on the 705 when they very obviously have the tech to put it all in one package.

    For starting out, you may want to buy a Gold Bug II, or a Tesoro Lobo ST, or a GMT. If you're going to be hunting in extreme ground, you may want to buy a used Minelab PI, like a 21/2200, 3500 or up. It depends on your disposable income for detector purchasing. Many, many people swear by the Bug II and the Lobo ST, and they're not price prohibitive.

    All the best, and welcome to the fever--thanks for your kind words as well,

    Lanny

    P.S. Here's a couple of more pictures for you.



    Last edited by Lanny in AB; Sep 12, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
    nuggy likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

  5. #1040
    us
    Sniper

    Aug 2012
    Redding
    Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
    1,803
    1571 times
    Prospecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    That is a HUGE pile of Gold that guy is sitting on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny in AB View Post


    All the best,

    Lanny
    Check out my Gold Sniping video's. http://www.youtube.com/CrainRacing

    Head in the water, butt in the air.
    Now I know why ducks do it!
    Underwater Sniper n00b

  6. #1041
    Charter Member

    Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4,776
    4481 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoTokyo View Post
    That is a HUGE pile of Gold that guy is sitting on.
    Ha, ha! I can only wish. That's an old hardrock mine dump (lots of iron staining) he's resting on, and it's right near the very peak of the mountain. Those oldtimers weren't afraid to track the metals one bit. They truly went where the outcrops were--no matter how difficult it was to get to where they were.

    Happily I made my trek on the quad, up and back!

    All the best,

    Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

  7. #1042

    May 2006
    239
    26 times
    G'day Lanny, You are a legend mate. We have a crap day here in Queenstown, Central Otago, New Zealand. So instead of being out there doing it I am catching up on your continued fantasic posts on this thread. Always a pleasure to read what ever you put up.
    Cental Otago is made up of schist so I am relating exactly to what you are saying & it is exactly the same for me to be doing what you are talking of. It could so easily be me saying exactly what you are.
    The joey coil (mono in my case) is the best coil for the exposed bedrock that the oldtimers blastered off all the overburden to bring those still hidden cracks & crevices (hopefully containing gold but also the junk you talk of) in to the vision of that wee coil. Great depth for a wee coil but more importantly great sensitivty to tiny gold. Very light & the elliptical shape great for poking & prodding in to small tight places. Like between rocks & bushes, crevices & dragging on edge backwards through narrow 1" wide crack & crevices. It has been my favourite coil in these situations for a long time.
    I am on my third skid plate for it. I am a ground scrubber as you cant get any closer to the gold than scrubbing the ground trying. Certainly pays off. I have gone back over the same old haunts with a 12" x 7" nugget finder mono getting that little bit more depth than the joey & still got gold. I am now doing the same thing with the Minelab 11" commander mono & it has opened up a whole new world over the same old ground. Blows me away the gold I am still getting of the same old ground. Just going that bit deeper again but still fantastic sensitivity & great deth on small gold. All sub gram pieces but all gold none the less & it all adds up.
    I havnt taken the 11" off for a month now & still pulling gold of ground thrashed not only by me but hords of others as well. Ok, the bigger bits are long gone but it is the smaller bits that are harder to find & require a stronger persistance & discipline to slow right down & really focus & concentrate hard on those very faint whispers in the threshold. Digging everything that warbles the threshold.
    I am still using my GP 3000 & just cracked over 100 grams since being down here for 5 months. Depending on work & gold finds I am hoping to stay on down here now. Just finished building a house for a friend.



    This is the view from where we are living at the moment



    We are just coming out of winter so the ground will be more digger friendly.

    Not wanting to highjack your wonderfull thread here but here are a few pics of recent finds.

    Last sunday


    Each pic is different days finds mostly from the same area











    This is a group shot of gold from 3 different locations & isnt including any of the above finds.



    The stuff on the right is very quartzy specimen gold & I am trying to locate the source. No luck as yet but good fun trying as I am still getting some great pieces in the search

    Here are some more recent finds in the continued search for the source



    Close up of the bigger bit







    close up of the bottom ones






    The search goes on.

    Good luck out there

    All the very best

    JW
    nuggy and gowlfman like this.

  8. #1043
    us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    702
    620 times
    Hey Kiwi old mate,nice species there....Dave.

  9. #1044
    Charter Member

    Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4,776
    4481 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi jw View Post
    G'day Lanny, You are a legend mate. We have a crap day here in Queenstown, Central Otago, New Zealand. So instead of being out there doing it I am catching up on your continued fantasic posts on this thread. Always a pleasure to read what ever you put up.
    Cental Otago is made up of schist so I am relating exactly to what you are saying & it is exactly the same for me to be doing what you are talking of. It could so easily be me saying exactly what you are.
    The joey coil (mono in my case) is the best coil for the exposed bedrock that the oldtimers blastered off all the overburden to bring those still hidden cracks & crevices (hopefully containing gold but also the junk you talk of) in to the vision of that wee coil. Great depth for a wee coil but more importantly great sensitivty to tiny gold. Very light & the elliptical shape great for poking & prodding in to small tight places. Like between rocks & bushes, crevices & dragging on edge backwards through narrow 1" wide crack & crevices. It has been my favourite coil in these situations for a long time.
    I am on my third skid plate for it. I am a ground scrubber as you cant get any closer to the gold than scrubbing the ground trying. Certainly pays off. I have gone back over the same old haunts with a 12" x 7" nugget finder mono getting that little bit more depth than the joey & still got gold. I am now doing the same thing with the Minelab 11" commander mono & it has opened up a whole new world over the same old ground. Blows me away the gold I am still getting of the same old ground. Just going that bit deeper again but still fantastic sensitivity & great deth on small gold. All sub gram pieces but all gold none the less & it all adds up.
    I havnt taken the 11" off for a month now & still pulling gold of ground thrashed not only by me but hords of others as well. Ok, the bigger bits are long gone but it is the smaller bits that are harder to find & require a stronger persistance & discipline to slow right down & really focus & concentrate hard on those very faint whispers in the threshold. Digging everything that warbles the threshold.
    I am still using my GP 3000 & just cracked over 100 grams since being down here for 5 months. Depending on work & gold finds I am hoping to stay on down here now. Just finished building a house for a friend.

    We are just coming out of winter so the ground will be more digger friendly.

    Not wanting to highjack your wonderfull thread here but here are a few pics of recent finds.

    The search goes on.

    Good luck out there

    All the very best

    JW
    Hey there--it's so great to hear from you again. Beautiful location you're in right now.

    I know all too well how wonderful it is to finally see the winter leave so that you can get out there to chase the gold again.

    You can't hijack my thread as you're always most welcome to post here.

    Wonderful shots of the gold, and thanks for the info. on the coils and how you're using them--you've given me some ideas.

    JW--your gold is absolutely beautiful and very diverse in character. I don't imagine many people realize the immense investment of time and effort that goes into tracking down that much gold--you've really been working very hard, and gladly for you, it's paid off. I admire your tenacity, and I hear you about wearing out those coil covers. As far as I'm concerned--that's what they're for--so that you can get that coil as close to the surface as you can to get every mm of extra advantage possible when chasing the gold. I love all of the pictures of gold that you posted, and I'll always welcome others here. Nicely done on capturing some very sassy gold indeed!

    On a side note--I bought myself the little Goldstalker mono coil (6-inch round). That little coil is hotter than a pistol. I love my Joey, and I adore the Goldstalker--it's amazing.

    All the best, and I hope to hear from you again as your season unfolds,

    Lanny
    Last edited by Lanny in AB; Sep 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

  10. #1045
    Charter Member

    Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4,776
    4481 times
    Prospecting
    Not gold--but mining related. I stumbled across while out fishing on the weekend. It's an old coal mine that was uncovered as it was eroded from the riverbank by spring flooding. It's in a remote area only accessible by a very long walk.

    The oldtimers in this area made leather slings that were secured over the thin metal bushings around the axles. I've never seen this before. As well, the rails were made of 2X4's. Mining was active in the area in the late 1800's and early 1900's. A friend of mine that owns the land told me that his grandfather had told him there was a mine on the property, but the grandfather never had the chance to show my friend where the mine was.

    I've sent him pictures of the find, and I'll try to get back to take more shots of the site--my memory card was full! It's a long, hard walk to get back in there. The fishing was great though, most-likely because of the difficult walk. (The rainbows are in the 4-6 pound range--fat and sassy indeed! The very different colored fish is a Walleye, and he's a mighty fat big-boy too.)

    All the best,

    Lanny

    P.S. I did find a nice deposit of garnet and black sand that warrants further investigation. There is fine gold in the area and whenever there's a solid concentration of garnet and black sand, it's a hot spot. I often visually prospect for gold while I'm fishing, and it's lead me to some dandy spots over the years. Here's a tip I've offered before--fish and gold like to hang out in a lot of the same places in rivers--they both like to drop out of the current for a rest in low-pressure areas. Check those places carefully if you're in a gold-bearing stream.

    (The gold-looking stuff is sulphur leaching from the coal seam. The white stuff is alkali salts--not snow.)
















    Last edited by Lanny in AB; Sep 15, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
    gowlfman likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

  11. #1046
    jp
    Photons

    Mar 2012
    Tokyo & OC
    Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
    480
    241 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Great stories and amazing photos! Lanny, why are garnets associated with gold? I've noticed my concentrates from the East Fork, San Gabriel river always have lots of garnets in them. Thanks.

  12. #1047
    Charter Member

    Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4,776
    4481 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
    Great stories and amazing photos! Lanny, why are garnets associated with gold? I've noticed my concentrates from the East Fork, San Gabriel river always have lots of garnets in them. Thanks.
    Garnets, being a semi-precious gem stone, are heavy. So, they hang out with the heavier materials like black sand. Moreover, when the stream velocity is slowed by an object that creates a low-pressure zone, or by a widening of the stream, etc. that creates a low-pressure zone, the heavies drop out of suspension in the stream and they are deposited and left behind as the stream moves along.

    When I was beach mining in Alaska, I used to look for areas on the beach where you could see heavy concentrations of ruby sand (heavy concentrations of small garnets) and those turned out to be great places to prospect. In fact, I used polarized sunglasses to scan the beach for deposits, as the polarized lenses (for whatever reason) made the garnets really stand out from the background sand--but I'm wandering off onto something else.

    The bottom line is that where the heavies drop out of the stream (garnets, black sand) the gold will drop in the same spot or very close to the same spot as well. Having said that, with micron gold, which the stream I was on this week has, when the garnets and the black sand drop--the gold drops with it.

    If you're in an area of coarse gold, the gold may drop to one side or the other (or slightly up or downstream) of the garnets. But, whenever I'm panning in an area known for garnets and gold, and I start to see them in the pan, I know there will either be gold in that pan as well, or I'm very, very close to it.

    All the best,

    Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

  13. #1048
    us
    Northern California

    Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    3,546
    3494 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Howdy Lanny,
    A thanks goes out to you and Kiwi for sharing the gold, the areas and some words on the subject of prospecting though you chaps are finding the gold. Then the pictures of the fish, oh My! Panther Martin lure? I've been out on three short trips this summer with no gold to show, just a good time and the exercise is always good though lugging out 94 pounds worth of gear was shall we say interesting.
    I've been told the GPX 5000 is heavy, just how heavy in pounds or grams is the critter with a coil on and one or two in the pack? And the batteries are $500 each so how much search time does one usually get from one battery?? Just asking out of curiosity...........63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

  14. #1049
    Charter Member

    Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    4,776
    4481 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 63bkpkr View Post
    Howdy Lanny,
    A thanks goes out to you and Kiwi for sharing the gold, the areas and some words on the subject of prospecting though you chaps are finding the gold. Then the pictures of the fish, oh My! Panther Martin lure? I've been out on three short trips this summer with no gold to show, just a good time and the exercise is always good though lugging out 94 pounds worth of gear was shall we say interesting.
    I've been told the GPX 5000 is heavy, just how heavy in pounds or grams is the critter with a coil on and one or two in the pack? And the batteries are $500 each so how much search time does one usually get from one battery?? Just asking out of curiosity...........63bkpkr
    Herb,

    It's so great to hear from you again. By the way, all of those fish were well over two feet in length and very fat. They're all tanking up for the winter which isn't that far around the corner--and the fish know it. You can't get any little fish to bit right now--they've all flown the coop. . . .

    Good ID on the Panther Martins--definitely great fish-catching lures. The Walleye was a complete surprise--don't ask me what he was doing where he was or why he decided to strike, but he sure hit it with a massive hammer blow.

    Well, it's good that you had some great hikes, but 94 pounds? Are you on steroids or something?


    The 5000 weighs close to five and a half pounds, and the expected battery life with the stock lithium ion is around 12 hours. I have Doc's gold screamer pack with two small camera batteries, and they'll run 6-8 hours each no problem and they save a lot of weight (no heavy curly coil to pack in either). I use the external speaker, so I don't have to pack headphones if I don't want to, and if I want to use headphones, I can just carry very light-weight earbuds which will do the job when you're trying to save weight.

    Shipping weight on the detector is around 18 pounds (that's with two coils usually--midsize and small), and there's not a lot of box weight or extra when they ship it--it's pretty streamlined, so with the coils and all, it must be pretty close to that shipping weight to pack it in I would imagine (less the chargers and adaptors). For more coils, just weigh them and tally it all.

    Check out Doc's (Doc's detecting in Las Vegas) for prices on his battery packs which side-mount on your machine and help streamline everything as well as save weight. I know that 500 bucks per battery for the Minelab batteries is steep, but they have some electronics built in with that battery as well I believe.

    All the best, Herb, and it's always fantastic to hear from you,

    Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

  15. #1050
    us
    Northern California

    Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    3,546
    3494 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hi Lanny,
    Steroids, LOL! I do not need drugs as I just get high on life itself. Its like looking at your pictures I just get happy all over looking at some of them. Two-Foot Long Fish!! Pictures like that with a touch of explanation send me right to the top of the High list. Life itself is a joy and if one is not happy where they are then do something positive to put yourself where you are happy. Yes, it can take a lot of work but it is so worth it to "Really Be Alive"!! The 94 pound pack on an easy trail was a struggle for me so this fall and spring will be spent exercising to regain the strength I need to go the places I want to and to do the things I want to. For instance: I want to return to the box canyon with the 200' waterfall with the eight pools filled with 18" to 24" long native rainbow trout, I want to go back into some seriously rugged country and take one more week to locate that 30' x 12' stretch of ancient riverbed perched on the side of a cliff and roll a boulder or two over to see if there is anything underneath it other than very old dirt and in general I want to go explore some more side canyons as there are so many surprises waiting in them.

    So the GPX 5000 with two coils and a battery is going to weigh somewhere around 16 pounds. That would mean I would have to leave out the climbing harness, 100' of 1/2" static line for cliff rapelling, the caribiners, tie off strap anchors and a few other oddments plus spend about $6000. And of course this would limit where I'm going to go as I can't go over the cliff without the climbing gear. I will have to think about this! I wonder why I always have to do the crazy stuff!!

    I see it is headed for 4 PM Calif time and I should get some dinner made. Here are three pictures taken recently: Me with 94 pounds of gear (yes, the looks of the gear is unsightly but it all made it out to the Bronco), best natural food with safeguards, A picture from my tent looking down river early one morning.

    Enjoy Herb

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	196_9620.JPG 
Views:	276 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	676569 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	196_9627.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	676570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	196_9681.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	676568
    Last edited by 63bkpkr; Sep 16, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bedrock gold

,
bedrock gold mining
,

can gold be found in sandstone

,

gold found in sandstone

,

gold in sandstone

,
gold nuggets attached in a rock
,
has anyone found gold in sandstone, california?
,
sandstone gold
,

thick clay on bedrock with gold

,
what does bedrock look like in real life
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0