Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
How long before detector "pays for itself??"

Help!
I got the bug real bad.
Been detecting for coins with a lot of success, and a lot of fun for me.

I'm going through that oh-so-terrible conflict of deciding whether
or not to go for a dedicated gold detector.
I live in the Gold Country of California, so there is at least a chance
of finding some nuggets.

I would need to know how long it took you (if ever) before the amount of
gold (or whatever) you found in effect pays for the detector.

I am very interested in knowing if it pays for itself in 6 months, a year, or
whatever, or about how many hours of hunting it takes.
I am interested too, to know if there are folks that never find enough
to justify the expense. I realize that is always a risk, but I want to see
if there is a good chance or not of paying for the thing with what I find,
say in a year or less. Honesty counts here, folks.
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Willy

Re: How long before detector "pays for itself??"

Well, that's one of those unanswerable questions. I had one detector pay for itself after 5 hours.. first nugget was 3 oz.. but I was in the land of massive nuggets. It all depends on where you are and how you go about it. ..Willy.

Nullers

Mar 11, 2007
Ridgecrest, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2 White's MXT

Mine paid for itself plus a new MXT within the first two months. But it was just beginers luck lol. I have not found a durn thing since last April of last year. It's all about being in the right place at the right time.

HH

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

If I ever break even I'll be estatic. I'm happy when I find enough to pay for my batteries!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anywhere from 3 Seconds to Never

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

It's a hobby. It's a lot like golf, unless you are Tiger Woods it will never pay for itself. Enjoy the outdoors, if you find more than the cost of the batteries, and gas consider your self lucky.

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

golddigger14s said:
If I ever break even I'll be estatic. I'm happy when I find enough to pay for my batteries!

Ha, ha, Good one!
That's 'bout what I figured.
Like coin shooting, it will depend on how much effort you put into it
and if you're just danged lucky.

Thanks for your responses, AND the honesty.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes it boils down to LOCATION,getting your coil over the gold,how well you know your machine and the time you put in.A couple fellows with $4000 machines recently pulled about $35000 in two weekends here in Calif!I wouldnt start with that caliber detector though,a Gold Bug,G.M.T,or my favorite gold and relic machine the M.X.T is a great choice!!!!

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lotsa luck

Cooter

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you do not count the gas my old Garrett 100 paid for itself 3 times over. My 550 has paid for itself in just scrap i found...aa

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In our case, it takes at least a year just to figure out what we have for the year.

Anything detected is held until the end of the year, and then the count is tallied up (coins, gold, jewelry, etc).

In the case of gold, if you found an ounce of gold when it was $350.00 an ounce, and you still have it, your detector paid for itself already. (I just cannot force myself to sell nuggets :( )

However, if you're in it for the profit only, you've missed the best part of metal detecting.

What's the value of having time in the outdoors, finding historical objects, having friends like here on Tnet, the feeling you get when you see that first little glint of metal and of entertaining that human nature feeling of a possible untold treasure just a few inches from your coil?

If it was all about "paying for itself", I don't think very many people would be doing ANY hobbies, would they? Why throw a football with your kid if he is never going to play professional football - why play golf if you are never going to be a Tiger Woods? Why put up a basketball hoop if you will never be a Michael Jordan?

The intrinsic value of a hobby you really enjoy is immeasurable.

Of course, I have always been of the mindset that you always buy the best you can afford - and that applies to anything. (afford being the key word).

B

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

Jim Hemmingway said:
Hi Vinny...you and I are in the same boat, more or less; for me, it's not a question of whether to get one, it's more...which one? I've always been careful about spending money wisely; I think there are moments that come along in life where, while always taking others into consideration, you do have to reasonably consider your own needs as well. If the $ dollars are not an issue at all, and you enjoy the hobby...maybe it fulfills a sense of adventure or whatever that is going to make you happier and easier to live with...then do it, and don't worry about financial returns. In time, you will make nice finds, but nobody can say how successful you'll be in that regard.
My gold jewellery finds alone, easily pay for all my equipment, incl. a 2 inch Keene dredge...but that's been over 20 years or so. It's like Sandman says...there's no point in swinging a detector that is not up to the task, and more importantly, time is the one thing you can never get back. I don't ever want to regret the things I didn't do, especially with regard to this fascinating interest/hobby. You have to be sensible, but you also have to enjoy your life to some extent, right? Later...Jim.

Wise words, Jim - BIG THANKS.
I should mention too, not all the rewards are material.
I have really enjoyed getting out into nature, getting more exercise,
and stopping to "smell the roses," so to speak.
This "hobby" has helped me learn more about hiking, geology,
gemstones, rocks, weather, local history, wildlife, plants & trees
(including poison oak!), minerals, electronics, chemistry, coins,
and antiques, just to mention a few.
Those are things you can't put a price on, so
it's almost as if I don't care about the balance sheet any more.
I'm already getting paid, ha, ha! ;)

LVSPARKY

Greenie
Jan 24, 2008
sin city las vegas
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, coin master, eagle spectrum, idx and radio shack special

vinnie,
you cant put a price on waking up every day, Ive been mding for a long time now, you will see that your md has paid for itself in so many way that money or treasure can never buy. one day you will understand, my 1st md paid for itself the 1st day . oh yea, i still got it, 20 years old now, works great lots of good times, how do put a prices on that? so i ask you "HOW LONG BEFORE DETECTOR "PAYS FOR ITSELF?"

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

my answer is, if you bought a boat, golf clubs,water skis,snow skis, etc; how long would be the pay back be?
sometimes the paybacks are other than $$$ i think this is epically true if you metal detect or look for gold
respectfully , george

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.

I have bought 8 detectors in my lifetime.
I have been able to pay for three of them with my finds.
i just love this hobby.
If you are in for the money, you need to spend most of your time doing research.
good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do it more for for the thrill of the find, the peace of mind and stress release it gives me, and the excercise I get from it, then I do for anything else. Well there is also the eye candy in bikinis too!! :o

Every day I wake up on the top side of the grass is another day it paid for itself. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hike every week, I hike to the beach to detect, I hike to the parks to detect, I hike to sites I have seen driving by to detect......Yep I go hiking all the time. ;D

I also excercise all the time, walking 2-3 miles up and down the beach swinging the detector and digging is great excercise, same goes for the parks. :thumbsup:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are very few of us who are in it for the money. Many of us wouldn't even think of selling our finds, but keep them and display them to share with others of like interest. If you think the $$$ is your calling and you are in gold country, you might be better off buying a sluice box and a shovel. Monty

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

18-19 months after the initial $850 invested

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread