Tesoro LOBO or the Gold Bug II for nugget hunting?

Greyfox08

Feb 10, 2008
I want to thank everyone for their input about which of the Metal Detectors are better a finding nuggets. But, when all is saidand done how do you seperate the wheat from the shaft? As I continue to do my research I bumped into the Tesoro Lobo with Auto Balance. From talking to two of the dealers mineralization can drive you nuts when it changes ever few feet. The Lobo automatically switches as the soil changes ....... does that make any sence to those who know want their talking about? The Cold Bug II doesn't switch as the soil becomes more or less mineralized, you have to keep adjusting the setting ....... ??? I hear it takes a while to learn to switch back and forth ....... but why if the LoBo will do it for you? .... or does it?

Also who's the best dealership for price & follow up support.

Attachments

• 261655AFie_w.jpg
    261655AFie_w.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,777
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Gold Bug II or Tesoro Cortes for nugget hunting only

I have used the G.B and cant argue its ability,Dont know anything about the Cortez,but now use the G.M.T.and love the read out ,the extra info it gives and its ability to find small gold

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GB@---TLST--can't go wrong with fisher or tesoro-cortez is best for relics and a lil'nugget use but more iron orientated,Lobo rocks-John

labradoodle of pa

Feb 3, 2008
newburg pa
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 Tesoro Vaquero and Tiger Shark bullseye prob
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

not no expert but if I was thinging about a Tesoro at all it would be the Lobo for gold plus it will also work for relics and coins also in the same price range whites MXT

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The GMT is my money machine, its fairly easy to use and can just plain clean up on smaller gold..My 2 cents

Cooter

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I have also heard some good stuff about the GMT and GBII

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IF YOU RESEARCH I AM SURE YOU WILL FIND THERE HAS PROBABLY BEEN MORE GOLD FOUND WITH THE GB SERIES THAN ANY DETECTOR OUT THERE ONLY MAYBE SECOND TO THE HIGHER END MINELABS.I KNOW ON SPECIMEN GOLD ON QUARTZ THE G.M.T.OUT SHINES EVEN THE HIGH END MINELABS

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you are going to hunt that much, you need to think about battery usage. What kind of batteries does the gold bug use? Rechageable is the only way to save money.

Cooter

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good point Cooter.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Greyfox08,

I'm not an expert on gold hunting, but I can give you a little info on the Tesoro's as to how they do for gold hunting. First off I have nothing negative to say about the Gold Bug II, It's one of the favorites among people nugget hunting. The Cortes is a great machine for coin shooting and even does a good job at relic hunting but I've never heard of someone preferring it for nugget hunting?? Could you sent me a PM and tell me what the contact info is on the guy you spoke of that uses the Cortes? My suggestion in the Tesoro line would be the Lobo Super Traq for nugget hunting. It has the ability to handle highly mineralized ground better than any other detector in the Tesoro lineup. It also has a good selection of optional search heads available. That's what I'll be using in Santa Fe, N.M. this spring when I go nugget hunting.
Remember if you use rechargeable batteries, you need a way to charge them up. Joe

OP
OP
G

Greyfox08

Feb 10, 2008
Re: UPDATE - Gold Bug II or Tesoro Cortes for nugget hunting only

Thanks to all for the input about B.G.2 & the Tesoro Cortes....... using the info from your replies I've done more research via the Internet and talked more to our nearest dealer in Bend, OR. The dealer is now talking about the MINLAB - Eureka Gold being far better than the B.G. 2. He says that the G.B.2 is great for finding the small nuggets, but you can walk right past the larger nuggets because the B.G. 2's depth disadvantage, and soil mineralization. Everey time I open my mouth the price keep jumping...... "the M.D. dealers" want $899 for the MinLab - Eureka Gold and that is really pushing my $$$$ limit, but like they say "Ya gets what's ya pies fir". I'm planning to make this full time job, so I don't want to be wasting my time because I bought the wrong make and model detector. So what catcha think?

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Eureka Gold is also a VLF?? Its not going to gain any great depth over the Gold Bug or GMT..

Cooter

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

You might want to check the other topics in this forum such as "How long does it take to pay for itself". I don't want to discourage you going full time, but you also want to be realistic. Do you already have a good claim (that you own or have permission to work)?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you can get your hands on some of the older Treasure mags (1980's)they have full page adds for the G.B.,with probably a hundred chicken egg sized nuggets found in Alaska with the G.B.Also it makes no sense what so ever that any detector will miss the big nuggets!!!!You can find those with a Radio Shack detecter!!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I have heard that the ..Minelab X- terra 70.. and the ..Garrett Infinium..were good gold detectors ???..............==Jim==

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The Infinium is ok but not on such small gold as the GBII and GMT will get.

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705

I donn't know about the GB 2, but I had a reg, Gold Bug several years ago, and I couldn't get past the hot rocks. It drove me nuts, and I sold it. I just got a XTerra 70, and it does great on small gold in air tests. Too much snow to try it outside. Also had a Minelab 16000 few years back, did pretty good on gold, bet the XT70 does better with it's higher frequency. Just one opinion.............

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can learn to ignore HOT ROCKS because most of the time they sound "duller" Than the sharp "Thwack" of a piece of gold. Now if you have a field of hot rocks its a little harder,but can be done. On a GMT turn up the SAT and leave the gain at 7 and its all good(for the most part). Rakeing helps too......

Cooter

MinerDon

Feb 16, 2008
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug

Hi Im also searching for info on the Gold bug ii to use in prospecting any experience with one of these models Can you use it to do coins and stuff also
Don

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would not use it on coins you will not have a very good time,not to say it wont find coins I found my first V nickle with one.If you want a gold and coin\relic detecter I recommend the M.X.T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread