Metal Detector or Panning & Sluicing, or both?

Greyfox08

Feb 10, 2008
Metal Detector or Panning & Sluicing, or both?

I've got some good suggestions from members of the forum about which nugget hunter to buy. But the more research I do the more questions I have. I'm going with the GB-II. Aafter reading everything I've read it's appears to be the goods. It doesn't have Auto Balance, but it meets my price range and does the job.

BUT! ..... now I'd like some input about Metal Detecting verses Panning & Sluicing. With all the snow we've had in northeastern Oregon the run-off is going to move more material down creek and rivers this spring than in years past. With a limited income I'd like to hear from those in the know, is the metal detector, panning & sluicing or both the way to go this spring and summer?

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 617
Upvote 0

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Re: Metal Detector or Panning & Sluicing, or both?

Hard to say - those two methods may just be opposite sides of the same coin.
I would think it depends on the size of the nuggets in your area.
The sluice may just pick up smaller specs that the detector would miss.

And hoping not to rain on your parade, but from what I've read gold is
OFTEN found in mineralized soil, which means you really do need a good
ground balance for a detector. My 2-cents.
Good luck. Hey nice truck too!

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

I think most OR stuff is small so I would be "sluicin" and detecting. If you can find something big enough to detect there is probably smaller stuff that can't be detected around it to run through the sluice. PS. I like my GB2 also.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When he said it doesnt have auto ground balance (that is a good thing)you still ground balance the machine you just do it manually,auto ground balance has a tendency to balance out small gold.The GB,is no slouch and thousands and thousands of ounces of gold has been found with them.As far as what to get you cant have too many tools in your arsenal(within reason)use your detecter and sluice together if practical,or if you get tired of detecting or vice versa go sluicing for a while.Panning is the basis to all prospecting,you should first scout an area by panning before sluicing and you will have to pan your concentrates from your sluice at the end of the day.Its all hard tedious work though,good luck! ;)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I agree with Kuger MD and sluice and Pan is an excellent combo!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BOTH OF COARSE. Whenever possible I use the sluice to facilitate my detecting(TLST & GB2). You'll get 10x the gold too. Set up the sluice and detect using a couple a dozen poker chips to mark spots. Then simply use a small shovel and bucket and dump the hits into the sluice and get back to work!! By stopping and playing the insane game of trying to find the target you absolutely kill your production AND you get ALL the gold and not just the largest nuggets. Of coarse in dry conditions it's not a option---drywasher anyone?? When your a weekend warrior or eating outta your gold finds TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE. Work smarter,move more dirt,and prosper :thumbsup: -Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hoser John said:
BOTH OF COARSE. Whenever possible I use the sluice to facilitate my detecting(TLST & GB2). You'll get 10x the gold too. Set up the sluice and detect using a couple a dozen poker chips to mark spots. Then simply use a small shovel and bucket and dump the hits into the sluice and get back to work!! By stopping and playing the insane game of trying to find the target you absolutely kill your production AND you get ALL the gold and not just the largest nuggets. Of coarse in dry conditions it's not a option---drywasher anyone?? When your a weekend warrior or eating outta your gold finds TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE. Work smarter,move more dirt,and prosper :thumbsup: -Tons a au 2 u 2-John
Amen to that John! :thumbsup:

dmc161

Dec 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT

We do both, my husband metal detects while I do the panning, and he just bought me a sluice so now we're good to go. We've been up to a couple claims with with me only panning while he detects, neither of us having any luck thus far but having the sluice will be a big help, at least for me. The next item on our list will probably be another detector since we also go out and hunt the beaches & parks, which I get stuck with the digging since we only have one detector. He'll probably upgrade from the MXT and give me that one to use.

S

Strikefleet5326s

Hoser John said:

Good advice.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B

Use the detector to locate the mineralized soil. When you locate iron in the soil IE black sand dig it and pan or sluice. Put the gold in a vial and go wee wee wee all the way home. ( make it sound easy huh)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread