Time to upgrade - looking for feedback

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Hi guys & gals

I'm considering a Lobo Super Traq for nugget shooting... here's the skinny..

In Washington state, lots of mineralization, especially copper and silver. Plan to use it along the rivers, so has to deal with wet sand. (also, with all our rain :( the ground is often wet when I go out.) Leaning towards the LST because of the auto GB. I'm a bit intimidated by manual GB because I'm worried I would spend so much time rebalancing that it would be frustrating, and how do you know when it needs to be rebalanced? Also, I read that it has a setting for alkiline soils. Does this mean it will be good for saltwater beach hunting as an all purpose machine?

I have an Ace 250 , and it's been alot of fun, but now I'm ready to go for the gold. :wink: The frustration I've had with the Ace is mainly that it doesn't handle wet sand/high water table or high mineralization well, and I know it's not the right frequency for gold ( although it's done just fine on gold jewelry ;D). From what I've read, the LST is more popular for desert nugget shooting so the question is... (insert drumroll here)..
will it be good for my area? or should I be looking at the Goldbug ll , and just learn to deal with the manual ground balance? What are the differences, if any, in your finds between these two machines? I've seen feedback that says GB2 for smaller, shallower vs. LST for bigger, deeper but since I haven't had any luck prospecting with my Ace, I don't know which to go for! I have found small (tiny) flakes panning, so I know it's out there!!

Looking for some feedback on the trade-offs between auto and manual ground balance, and also which would be good for saltwater beach hunting.

Thanks for your help- Kilika

Upvote 0

j.letson

Greenie
Apr 20, 2008
You have a couple more choices depending how much you want to spend. the GMT is a fine machine with both auto and manual GB but for salt water I think your best combo machine would be minelabs X-terra 70 Good little gold machine from what I've read and seen using the dd coil and has settings for beach etc. They have a pro pack deal now which has stock coil and dd elliptical for prospecting and case $798.00 and some dealers are throwing in extras too. I am thinking of picking one of these for myself. Just my 2¢

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I have a GB II and once you learn how to ballance it's not that hard. I'm heading to Tacoma/Olympia in August so I would like to hear what you get and how it's working.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be afraid of a manual gb machine. Once you start learning what it is telling you, keeping it tuned becomes intuitive and you do it without even thinking about it. Some areas to hunt are tricky and being able to adjust the gb a little hot can mean the difference between a nug and a skunk.

My 2 cents worth

Good luck
HH
Steve

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The LST is a great gold hunter, you would not feel like you would need any other VLF detector for a long time. I have one and it works in any minerlized ground ground here in Colorado, also the coil selection is pretty good. The LST has a great discriminator, so it is used in a lot of places as a coin shooter and a relic detector. The biggest difference's between the GBII and the LST, is the LST is auto ground balance and the GBII is manual. Once you take the 5 minutes it takes to learn how to ground balance the GBII, you might like manual ground balance better. The GBII is said to be the best for finding tiny gold, but the LST is no slouch. I have heard some people report that the GBII doesn't handle the minerlized ground as good as some detectors, but this characteristic is what probably gives it the ability to find the small stuff. One thing that I have learned, is no single gold detector is the perfect detector for everywhere. You have to find the features on the detector that best matches the characteristics of the terrain and the types of gold you are looking for. If you get gold fever like everyone else does, you will eventually get several gold detectors.

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites GMT is my choice and the choice of most of my friends. It has alot to offer, check it out!

Cooter

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jim,

I guess I missed the saltwater beach part. I havent had any good finds the past couple of weeks. Too many birthdays and graduations this time of the year..

Chris

OP
OP
K

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Thanks for all the replies!

I've given up on the idea of finding one machine that will handle prospecting and saltwater beaches, so to emphasize the prospecting angle, wouldn't the MXT be better than the GMT?
Pretty much resigned myself that eventually I'll end up with several detectors, so the beach will have to wait!

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kilika,
The GMT is a Gold Prospecting machine only.
The MXT is a three mode detector. Coin/Jewelry, Relic, and Prospecting.

So which one is better for you? Only you can decide.
The GMT will find more gold(50 Mhz), but the MXT is a more versatile machine(15Mhz).

If you are serious about gold prospecting and will be doing it alot, then by all means pick up the GMT.

I have had a Goldmaster3/vsat since 98 and recently picked up an MXT for coin and relic hunting because the GM3 is the wrong frequency for that type of hunting. It's also nice to have a back up just in case Murphy shows up.

Good luck in your decision, It drove me nuts for weeks trying to decide which new machine to purchase.

HH
Steve

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay Jim, I can do that. I will use a flat solid piece at 2 grains.

Cooter

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the differences between the MXT and the GMT for prospecting, is that the MXT requires more setup and more experienced interpretation of the VDI readings. A lot of people here in Colorado tell me that they use the jewelery mode in combination with some other settings to be able to avoid digging iron trash at old mining sites. I'm just about to buy a GMT. It will compliment my Lobo Super Traq, and the iron discrimination features will help me maximize my time out on the tailing piles so I don't have to keep digging rusty spikes at 15". :thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Jim-

Thanks for the info, and THANKS for taking your test results to a new thread! :D

nugget-

The GMT is a better nugget shooter because.... why? Higher frequency? I thought the LST with the higher frequency coil would be comparable. Are there other features I'm missing?

OP
OP
K

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
Re: Time to upgrade - made my DECISION!

Thanks to all for your great replies!

I pulled the trigger today and got (insert drumroll) the GMT ;D

It was a tough decision because it was quite a chunk of change for my budget, but now I'm pretty excited to get out hunting.
Came home, watched the DVD, fell asleep reading all the posts on here, had nugget-finding dreams :D
Too bad I only have one day off left before I have to go back to work...

I chose the GMT because of the ability to choose between manual/auto ground balance, and because of 48khz vs. 15khz on the MXT, and because of the iron probability feature, and because of the 'follow the black sand' feature which I don't really understand yet but am looking forward to learning.
I expect it will be a steep learning curve for awhile... that's OK - I love a learning adventure! :wink:

In recent news, I took my sister into the hills to do some prospecting. She got pretty excited about "all the gold flakes floating around in her pan"! I explained that real gold doesn't float, and showed her where it would show up in her pan, but she said "you just don't like MY gold" :D
Oh, well... we had a great time anyway and I did find one specimen with lots of copper, turned it over, and viola! - lots of little flecks of gold! I'm pretty sure it's real. We were near an old copper mine where they also took out good values in gold. The gold looks more embedded in the rock, not in sheets on the top. It stays a nice yellow color in any light, and no matter which way I turn it, it doesn't turn dark or greenish. It doesn't chip off in flakes, and when I poked at it, it just kind of dented, not crumbly. Also, in one spot it actually follows a little crack or 'vein' in the matrix. A tiny, tiny vein, but still...
fools gold won't show up in a vein will it? Sorry, no pics. I don't have a digital camera.(And I just blew all my cash :wink:)

Also, I found a nice 18k wg ring at the beach, with 8 small diamonds down the sides and a humongous center stone. Turns out the center one is a CZ, probably meant to be replaced later. Didn't think the center one looked quite right, but almost had a heart attack when I cleaned it off enough to see it was 18k ! Found that with my Ace.

Sorry for the long post but I was on a roll...

Thanks again for all the help making my momentous decision. I think I'll be quite happy with the GMT. (At least until I'm ready to get back to the beach). And you can bet I'll be devouring all the posts on here about my new toy! You guys ROCK!!

Speaking of... did you see Steve Herschbach's posts about his new TDI?? Some great photos on that post...

Kilika

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions