Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cooter & Thompy...Nugget Test Results

Chris....did the test today. Background info...ground balance at 84ish (scale 0-salt to 99-extreme, a reading of 75 upwards considered to be more magnetic susceptible conditions confirmed with a Fe3O4 reading of 0.1 to 0.3 expressed as % volume magnetite (a small magnet into loose soil for a few seconds, it comes up covered in iron "filings"). The soil had enough moisture in it to be "compactable", but not damp. Used max sensitivity in both the all-metal motion and in the JE disc mode, using the 7" by 11" DD coil (only coil I currently have).

The test nugget, maybe three or even four grains, measures about one-eighth by one-quarter inch in an oval shape.

Ground test results: (a) the all-metal motion mode gave a good solid signal at three inches, but the two-way signal was gone completely beyond three inches. (b) the JE disc mode gave a good solid repeatable coin type signal at three inches, but thats about it for depth. Quite a surprise, JE's strong signal.

Comment: In the JE mode, the nugget ID'd at a stable, repeatable 12 to 14 (iron disc range runs from 0 up to 15). The disc level could be run up just past "12" (small iron rejection) before the nugget was lost from detection at three inches; the sens decreased to "90" still gets a more modulated but repeatable signal.

Thompy: You may recall under the "metal detecting forum" that I had mentioned I would get back to you with some ground test results. Well, I finally cleared an area of roofing nails and got it done. :thumbsup:

Jim.

Upvote 0

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Re: Cooter & Thompy...Nugget Test Results

nice write up Jim, soil conditions are close to mine, around here about 87, when i head up around the mines, i hit around 92-3 though it can change fast over short areas fe 304 .01 here up north Ive seen it hit .3, but usually forget to pay attention to it. last week i was up north and was detecting a lake, that the dam blew out on 4yrs ago, near the high mark was running 89 then the closer i got to the water i was down in the upper 70's , soil was moist but not saturated, the lowest readings i have seen on the t-2. there was a lot of dark flat rocks that ran around 40 which is the ferrous non ferrous break point, if the got to 3-4 in. thick they would read much higher, the surface looked like a mill scale was on them. meant to grab one to play with. must be some sort of iron, then the usual hot rocks. Ive read more stories of raw silver nuggets being found here than gold ones. thinking of hitting around a nother area near some more gold mines, these mines had a much softer rock, need to really learn the minerals in the area, some times i spend more time looking at the rocks than detecting

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Give me a day, I am behind schedule.....

Coot :icon_pirat:

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

thanks for the responce, will have to try that when i get back up, suppose to go tomorrow, but think im going to hang around the house and hit an old park, family is heading up north for the mother inlaws >:D Bday, plus i have some stuff to take care of around the house, i try this park mabey 2 a year , just so much trash, but it has been in use since the 1840's, and of coarse possible copper culture stuff

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okay Jim, did a little test. 2 grain irregular piece but flat. Ground 54, hard pack sandy type soil. Reads at 2.5 inches with target I.D. almost 4 inches total depth. running stock coil, gain at 8 and SAT at 7 which is how I run most of the time. This is a backyard test not actual Mother Lode type soil. I can do more tests if you wish...

Cooter

liquid1

Apr 29, 2008
lake norman NC..
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace 250, Titan 2000 Xd

Good test folks..Jim do you feel like a small nugget in a creek bed will read in the 0-15 number range in the all metal or JE disc mode
I realize most of my local creek beds are sandy rocky conditions and might Detour the readings a bit..thanks james

liquid1

Apr 29, 2008
lake norman NC..
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace 250, Titan 2000 Xd

Thanks a heap jim..All I have here is fishing lead weights to campare and test with..It sure would be good to pull up the gold like cooter just posted..I'm leaning more toward the local creeks Being my best bet in these parts..awesome..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions