My first "Nugget Hunt" outing

ExitEden

Jun 2, 2008
Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher F4
My first "Nugget Hunt" outing

Soooo, with my trusty new MXT in hand, I head out to gold country (mainly for some 4-wheeling) and stop at a nice little dry creek bed, that looks like she's just dying to throw several pound nuggets in my direction.

I get a hit, big hit, 20% and VDI of 84. I'm thinking, wow, this is for sure something worth digging, regardless if it's gold or not. Switched to all my different modes, and all came up saying dig the target.

Several minutes later, and about 8" down, I spot an aluminum can.

That was my first "prospecting" experience. So, any of you gold gurus out there care to comment?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: My first "Nugget Hunt" outing

Keep at it gold won't exactly lead out after you dig most and I think you're MXT has a prospecting mode, use that one.
If possible try to hook up with someone who could instruct you or help you. :thumbsup:

Get good equipment for all kinds of situations, including a few extra coils and a good pick(?)

Someone else might help you more, my experience of nugget hunting is rather low, there are few nuggets in south Sweden.

Cheers,
Eu

OP
OP
ExitEden

ExitEden

Jun 2, 2008
Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher F4

I was in prospect mode, but I flipped into the various modes just to see if any other readings popped up that would give me some indication of what the target was. I was using the Double D 6x9. For sure need a pick! Was using a small digger shovel, no fun :-(

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Most of us have gold with us that we hide in the ground to tune our MD to. Different soils they respond a little different

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to the game!!!You will dig alot more trash than gold.....thats just the nature of the beast!!!If finding gold was easy everybody would be rich,and gold wouldnt be worth much!!!!

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Listen to Kuger!!

Cooter

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

you can pick up the coil, good targets fade much quicker than cans, if it like a foot of the ground and still has a strong signal probably a can, but dig all signals till you get a feel for the mxt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions