Any ares to hunt for gold in Texas?

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
jf,

Not sure about the gold prospecting but I know were you can do some diamond prospecting not too far from you over in Murfreesboro, AK. It's a state park and for 5.00 you can hunt all day. As a matter of fact, I am heading there myself after I get back from my Middle East deployment in a week or so. I live in South Texas myself and all the Gold (jewelry) I have found in South Texas has been on Padre Island. It should be real good here in a couple of days after Emily kicks up the surf.

Chris Reynolds
Senior Chief Petty Officer, USN

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
Hey jf.... Welcome to T-net...

The only places I know of in TX where gold occurs naturally (and has been found) is down around Llano. Your biggest problem with doing any gold recovery in this state is that 98% of Texas is privately owned. I'm going to Oklahoma tomorrow to look for some places to prospect, but I doubt we'll much luck there either. I want to go to Alaska, Colorado or Kalifornia to pan...

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005
jf, I'm from E.Tex myself. Three miles north of Diana, north of Longview. As a boy we found arrowheads just about everywhere if you like relics. We even went to Murfreeboro once for a weekend.
If I still lived there now I think I would try Cache hunting. My dad used to tell us stories about people in the area that buried their money and the relatives digging holes looking for it. My hunting buddy and I found old homesite buried under Blackberry bushes in the woods.

tojo

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2004
Hi,everyone i don;t want to start a gold rush,but i live in Stafford,Texas near Houston i can travel around 42 miles from my house and get some gold.Not a whole lot but enough to keep me going back.I was told that wherever the ice Glaser<(not spelled right) got down to in the ice age gold could be found, and so for i have found gold everywhere i have been up around this part of the country.If you want to know more PM me and we can talk
tojo

historydigger

Greenie
Aug 4, 2005
It was either the Gold Fever show or Prospecting America that did a show about the Gold in the Llano River. it was a very good show and there is a person that lets you on his land for a fee to hunt for it.

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know of a site in Kingsland where you can pan that river for a fee.. Believe it's 15.00 for the day. He does allow for camping I am pretty sure for more.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Llano for sure, although there has been gold found in other areas of the state. In Montague county there's a historical marker titled 'Highways Paved With Gold'. I've thought about panning out there just haven't gotten around to it. Supposedly in Wise county some fine gold could be found at some point in the Trinity-that according to a good friend who has lived there sin youth. He didn't pan it, but remembered some guys that did. Somewhere I have a list... None of this would be detectable gold btw. Have backpack and gold pans, wouldn't mind getting a few folks together for an adventure! There's always the K River in Okieland too.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked for it but I can't find it. Anyway, at one time I had a very old document that spoke of, and I'll try to quote this as best as I remember, "where two streams formed an estuary."

What this document was referencing was a location where a beam (they called it something else) had been set in place to create a shelf, it was under this shelf where "considerable quantities" of gold was stored during the early 1800's. But this is all I can recall. Maybe I'll run into it later and if I do I'll post what I have.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
There is gold in the Llano, more up some crreks in the NW of the county and heard of folks who even dredged some in Lake LBJ, until the Colorado River Authority stopped them. But you are gonna work really hard for that gold.There is powder gold in Sandy Creek(south of Llano) and silver in the creeks outside of Brady. Good luck...

hungry hunter

Sep 3, 2013
HSB, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the process of moving out to the Brady/Mason area. I'm new to prospecting, but have been practicing my panning and doing all sorts of research. From what I understand, the areas around Mason and Llano where there is the Packsaddle Schist would be places to look for gold. Google "geology of texas" and you should be able to find the .kml of the state's geology to find the schist (I think I'm spelling that correctly).

OT, but how does one find silver? Can you pan it like gold or is it a metal detector operation only?

bungyboy

Aug 22, 2014
Southeast of Disorder
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is legend that there was an Indian mine on one of the tributaries of East Texas. I don't know what kind of mine. The main tributary moved and covered it with water. It is interesting that there is a spot in the even bottom of the creek that the depth finder drops down into a big hole. It is covered in about ten feet of water before the hole drops down.

Edit: Never mind. I'm not going in there lol.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread