Whats a good pick?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's a good pick?

ESTWING-been the best for over 100 years. I've had rock hammers and pics from them for over 35+ years and still work just fine !! Tons a au 2 u2 -John

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005

I second on 'Estwing' 22 oz. (made in America since 1923, at least that is what it says on my latest one)
I don't wear them out, but they seem to have a habit of 'walking away' :wink: so keep your eye on it, (or those around you).

Tom G

Aug 21, 2008

For hard rock mining and busting rocks Estwing is the best. I've had one for about 15 years and it's as good as new.

But your question was about nugget shooting. For that you're going to need a pick that will dig holes, sometimes big holes, in the ground. A rock pick won't do you much good there. You need a tool with pick on one end of the head and a mattock (a wide flat blade) on the other. The only close substitute for a tool like this when nugget hunting is a shovel and there's things you can't do well with a shovel. You'll save yourself a lot of time if you get a pick that has a super magnet attached to it. That way while you're digging, you automatically remove those old rusty boot tacks that fell out of the old miners boots.
Here's a link to the pick I use. There are several similar manufacturers and I haven't tried them all so I wouldn't begin to express an opinion as to which one is best.

http://apexpicks.com/

They make 3 models, I chose the shorter one, because my wife likes to help with the digging and I needed something that wasn't too heavy for her to use. After using it a while I am glad I didn't get a bigger one, as this one does everything I need and it's light enough to carry on your belt. Also these are totally American made. Don't know if that matters to you, it does to me.

Tom G

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I use the Estwing PaleoPick. This is my second season with it and I love it. Some people might think it's a little heavy, but once you get used to it, the heft is really a help for digging. It's really tough also. I pry and split rocks and it's still as sharp as the day I bought it.

lester

May 20, 2008
More pick comments

I would second Tom G's comments what makes "a good pick" in regards to a good nugget hunting Pick. The apex pick has proven itself nationally and internationally as a awesome tool to move soil, collect and remove iron debris and relics. The 3 super magnets save your valuable time eliminating wasted efforts chasing unwanted debris and collecting the relics. The picks are strong, hold up and are American made. The cheaper picks fail and after a long drive and expensive fuel expense I don't want to have a cheap tool that ends my hunt. In this day and age American made is my choice. You can check them out on www.Apexpicks.com.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

estwing-is there any other. :thumbsup:

~LARGO~

Mar 30, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello,

I thought I would chime in, because I have gone through the process of finding what the ideal/best pick for me could be, with nuggetshooting in mind. Over the years, I have bought, made, traded, many picks, taking note about what features about
each would add the most benefit to my search for gold. I have tried the ones with metal shafts, and for my experience with them, found that there could be excessive vibration up through the metal handle, which is something you will not have with a wood or fiberglass handle.

There are some with super wide scraping surfaces, which are fine and quite handy, but the downside there is that you must carry them pretty much over your shoulder, using the one arm hold for your pick, and the other for your metal detector. The reason being, is that you cannot easily holster the pick at your side, because of the wide scraping surface. My method of swinging my detector requires the use of both hands, as I use what is called a swing handle, which requires the use of both arms to provide a more precise, as well as less effort in your coil swing, hence a less tired prospector at the end of a long day. So for this method, a holstered pick is a real necessity.

Moving right along, the prospector needs a pick that has a strong handle of the appropriate length for the work you expect to be doing. For serious earth and rock removal, you will obviously require a longer handled pick, for lighter, less serious work, you will need a progressively shorter handle, and for sampling or lighter work, a then shorter handle, etc. No rocket science here...

Most gold producing areas will have ample indicators of earlier excavations for gold, and work being done, either from hand stacked rock, to drywash piles, etc. Having been worked in this way, there will be remnants of that earlier time, being bits of rusty cans, wire, boot tacks, the list goes on... When you encounter this type of place, there can be many signals, and the bad news is, all of it isn't going to be gold. Most of it won't be gold, sadly. So what you need to deal with these metallic signals, will be a good strong magnet, to speed up your gold search by pulling this pesky rust out of the dirt, so you can keep going, hoping for a nice nugget.

What all this is leading up to, is what I have found to be the best American made pick on the market today, one that fulfills all the above necessities that the prospector requires. Oh, yes, and a good warranty as well is REALLY nice. For my needs, I have found that the Apex pick fills the bill in all categories. Besides being made by people that really do care about the product they make, as well as the product satisfaction by the end user, being me and more importantly, YOU!

Give them a look see at their website, go to other forums that deal with nuggetshooting, do your homework, and give the Apex a try. I know you won't be disappointed!

Just my 2 cents...

~LARGO~

JDS

Jun 8, 2007
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
ML4000/ML E-Trac/Ace 250/Antique Groundhog

For me the real telling tale of the pick is it's weight. I tried using the light weight picks that come with most of the new detector packages. I have built a couple and purchased more. I use a GPX4000 and carry a standard miners pick over my shoulder. I bought a three inch rare earth magnet off amazon for 12 bucks. I started out with it on the wide end of the pick but moved it to the pointed end in short order. When I get a signal I can almost drop the pick on the spot to turn up the soil. If there is any metal there the magnet will usually pick it out after the first couple of swings. When I recheck the spot if I still have a signal then I start paying more attention. I will drag the magnet through the loose dirt and if there is still a signal I start to get excited. If you are using a PI detector and need to dig deeper holes just remember the old miners didn't use any small tools just big heavy stuff. My two cents worth.

Junker

DsrtBpr

Jan 25, 2009
SAZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD/GPX, White's TDI, GMT

I've gone through many over the years. For me I like a pick with some heft, solid built, a lifetime warranty is a plus.

I have been using the "Apex" pick for almost 2 years now. Can't say I found anything I don't like about it! Even comes with 3 super strong rare earth magnets with welded stops to keep them from flying off your pick when digging, nice! I've lost my share of magnets. :thumbsup:

The thick wood handle has good feel. The point and scraper sharpens itself as you dig, I have not had to sharpen mine since new. Unless you don't mind fiddling with holstering/removing it with those magnets, I suggest you get a good "Non-Metal" holster for it.

All in all I am very happy with my Apex picks. They get the job done, solid built and have a great warranty. :headbang:
Until something better comes along, Apex is my digger of choice thanks'

HH DsrtBpr

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,

My last Estwing pick walked away somewhere and I bought a "Valley" 20 ounce pick
which is a clone of the Estwing and it cost me $20 at a gun show. The guy in the booth
seemed to think that Estwing was going out of business; don't know if that is just a rumor
or not, but if you can't find one look for the "Valley" brand.
Good luck
Rich

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOT ONLY NO :laughing7: but LL no--american icon in great shape-tons a au 2 u 2-John--does anyone else smell spam here?? ???

lester

May 20, 2008
I have talked to the Apex guys and they don't have the magnets recessed so they don't degrade the strength of the head and this design allows for a thicker more robust magnet. One magnet will do. I believe they were the first to offer magnets integrated into the heads of the picks. I have heard that they have had other new competitors buy their picks to design their own. They are now offering all handle lengths with all head and magnet variations that they offered in the past so handle lengths don't have to be custom ordered. They said their dealers have the product sheets now and that the Apex website is in the middle of being updated to include these new pick variations. Sounds like it basically triples their past product offerings. My guess is if you have a specific handle length you want contact them on their website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread