Does the MXT crackle when on?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a MXT today and am getting use to it. I upgraded from a IDX. My IDX ran silently until it was over a target as it should. I know the MTX is supose to have a threshold hum but does it supose to have a slight crackle too? I was under the assumption it would run with a smooth humm from the threshold untill it hit something. Sounds kinda like static or bad connection. Not horrible but noticeable. I knew it was noisey but im trying to make sure i dont have a bad coil or bad detector.

It does in fact id coins and rings very well so far so its not completly broke if it is at all.

Thanks in advance!!

Upvote 0

TOWcritter

Yea, that happens sometimes. Is it continuous or intermittent? Is the ground highly mineralized? Are you working dry to wet sand? All of things can affect the threshold. I just give the coil a few quick pumps to rebalance it and it usually settles down. I use the ground lock position sometimes when it gets chattery like that. Just balance the MXT like usual and then set the selector to lock. Of course it could be something else altogether. Gain set too high for the conditions, SAT speed set too high or low, etc... Takes a while to get used to it. Try pumping the coil and adjusting the settings first. If that works, at least you know it's a minor thing. If not, call your dealer and talk to him. It may need a repair. One other thing that I noticed. The cheap headphones that come with it suck. That could be the problem. I"m getting a set of Rat phones or Grey Ghosts. Happy Hunting. Oh, Here's a pic of my little 5".

Attachments

• P4060366 (Small).JPG
    P4060366 (Small).JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think im being just to critical of the new detector. I came from a IDX with silent serch and am spoiled. I put a 5.3 on it today and played around in a park and backyard. MUCH improvement over the stock in trash!!! Or in general really. I found out hunting in relic with trigger forward with dis set on first preset helped alot with finding coins and chasing bad signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread