Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have done my research on the town I live in and I would dearly love to detect some of the older yards and spaces between the streets and sidewalks.

So here's my situation.

The older part of town with all the big grand old homes have been chopped up and made into low income rentals. The land lords for the most part don't live in town and the properties are left in poor shape and abused by the constant stream of people moving in and out. These houses or rather apartments are some of the 1st homes built in this town from the early 1800's.

So would it be unethical to just show up like I know what I'm doing and just start detecting?

Even though it's the worst part of town I would still be safe (For the most part) because it's a small town.

Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would still be safe (For the most part) I guess you need to ask yourself if its worth it. I wouldnt...aa

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You're asking this question on a forum where some people think you need "permission" to hunt public sandboxes? ::) To answer your question, I'd do it. Apartments have a sort of a "common area" mentality feel to their yards, right?

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
You're asking this question on a forum where some people think you need "permission" to hunt public sandboxes? ::) To answer your question, I'd do it. Apartments have a sort of a "common area" mentality feel to their yards, right?
with all due respect Tom you would do the White House if you could get in :icon_jokercolor:

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can still go through the property tax office and find the owners and then contact them

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
I would start by hunting the grass strips out front between the street & sidewalks.

If you happen to see someone that's hired to mow the grass, ask him.

He's probably the only one who cares, if he even cares at all.

You can then decide yourself how to proceed from his response.

Good luck............see ya mark

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
;D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think I'd detect it without knowing who lived there...if anyone.
Maybe some resident has lived there a number of years and even though they are just renters, may have a sense of ownership. That would be the one I'd talk to.

Slumloards are a scourage and I have no respect for them what-so-ever! I've seen absolutely grand houses, that during the turn of the century were homes to the wealthy, become an eyesore in a matter of a few years. Turned into multidwelling units and left to fall apart, simply to line their pockets while they live an extravagant lifestyle at someone else's expense.

I have so much more respect for the tenants than the owners, I'd ask them if they seemd okay.

Al

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
deepskyal said:
I
Slumloards are a scourage and I have no respect for them what-so-ever! I've seen absolutely grand houses, that during the turn of the century were homes to the wealthy, become an eyesore in a matter of a few years. Turned into multidwelling units and left to fall apart, simply to line their pockets while they live an extravagant lifestyle at someone else's expense.

Al

That hit the nail on the head.
These houses I'm talking about where grand a one time.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
aa battery said:
Tom_in_CA said:
with all due respect Tom you would do the White House if you could get in :icon_jokercolor:

who wouldn't LOL ;D

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom_in_CA said:
I have to go along with ..Tom.. i would just go and hunt for some place like that no one really cares and Tom was right when he said " some people think you need permission to hunt public sand boxs......................==Jim_K==

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id get permission from the tenants or the maintance men but if its like my town you will find a million colt 45 bottle caps.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
savant365 said:
aa battery said:
Tom_in_CA said:

who wouldn't LOL ;D
Yeah who wouldnt?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go for it and see if I got mugged. Use a old detector and put duct tape on it to make it look bad. Dress like you belong there. Don't wear any thing you will miss when you wake up........... ;D

Maybe I am being to cynical. Jeff is right, ask a tenant.

Good Luck,
Sandman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
small town ? No fear of the Tenants is Necessary.

Ask a Tenant their opinion.

This is not a "Public Sandbox"
But is the Renters Sandbox

Good Luck !

Jeff

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt apartments all the time, in fact I specifically look for them in my town. If I see a house with 2 or more addresses on it, I knock on the door and ask the tenant if they care if I detect their yard. 99% of the time they say they don't care.

And yes some of the apartments are the OLDEST houses in town with good finds to be had. I have never had any trouble, I live in a small town as well

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
savant365 said:
aa battery said:
Tom_in_CA said:

who wouldn't LOL ;D
Yeah who wouldnt?

Exactly!! And anyway - we should have every right to!!! It's our taxpaying money that is paying for that property!! I know, I know - completely different topic!!

Seriously though - I like the mindset of asking the tenants - that is a great idea!!!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Couple of points here.

1. Most absentee owners have someone assigned to manage the property or keep it running. Find that person and ask.
2. In the state of MO (not sure about others) when a tennant is renting an appartment any property attached becomes the property of the tennant as well. So that means that if someone is renting the house they are also renting the yard and can give you permission to hunt. HOWEVER the owner can show up and ask you to leave and you have to respect his request.

I would say go for it. We are in the same boat here in Cape Girardeau. Many of the older homes are rentals to one or many families. I have asked for and gotten permission to hunt some of those buildings by tennants. If I find one that is condemned I have hunted it before because the city manager told me it was ok.

Good luck.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I put in that apts are owned by someone. At least ask the tenents. Then the judge may just tell you to get lost-don't come back. But to just hop on someone's property and start detecting goes against all the codes we try to uphold. The detecting potential in a neighborhood is only as good as the reputation of the detectorists in that neighborhood. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread