headphones ?? any benefit

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They let you hear faint tones from the detector, they save on battery life, they keep your ears warm and they make you look really cool, well they make me look cool at least. :icon_jokercolor:

Good brands are grey ghost, ratphones, koss. I am sure there are more out there, I just can't think of them at the moment.

I used a $25 pair of headphones that came with my first detector. They lasted 6 1/2 years and worked very well.

RELIC_HUNTING

Oct 5, 2008
I have been useing a $9.95 headphone from Wal-Mart for 3 years with volume control and have no problem hearing on any machine I use.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is more to having a good set of headphones that just being able to hear them. Good headphones are made of premium materials that will hold up to rough use. They are more comfortable to wear for long periods with out squishing your head while blocking out all the external noise. More of the better ones are Black Widow, Grey Ghost, Killr Bees, Jolly Roger and some others.

Besides allowing you to hear the fain signals of the older deeper coins, the headphones don't attract a bunch of little kids or others to yourself.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Headphones are a must.

I have a pair of Grey Ghost but I was thinking of trying what I see kids using with IPod's, that fit right into your ear.

Anyone ever try those? They would have to have some sort of volume control.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The benefits are many, as others have pointed out. But among the top ones are the fact that it does help to hear the faint tones that usually tell you it is deep, or the fact that you have a coin tone next to a junk tone. They also let you keep the noise to yourself. The kids don't seem to stay as long since they think you can't hear them because you have headphones on. It also helps to extend battery life. The small speakers use less power than the speaker in most detectors. HF!

Bob

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Benefits are privacy... you don't disturb others or attract attention. #2, you can hear more - deep stuff sounds soft (generally) - this allows you to also judge depth. Plus you can hear better what sounds the detector is making... you might be able to tell the difference between a good "round" sound and a broken, unround sound - trust me, there IS such a thing - successful gold ring hunters are usually very good at knowing the round sound. Definitely saves some battery life as well.

One drawback is if you are hunting in unsafe areas alone you may not be able to hear a thug approaching, but in those areas you're better off hunting with a buddy anyway. And because you're not out there beeping away, you are also not attracting the attention of the thug.

Cheap headphones are usually ok, I used the stock $19.99 black headphones for metal detecting for years. Only recently did I try some better phones. I have been using my Jolly Rogers and they are great. If you are wearing them for long periods of time, the sound quality and comfort of the $70+ headphones are worth it.

mrix2000

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Christchurch Dorset near Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
You only seem to be able to buy them though as twin headphones unfortunatley for me, so I have had to mess about with them to make them just single in-ear head phones etc.
Over the past I have used just a single in-ear headphone, mainly because I like to hear whats going on around me at the same time as using the detector etc.
cheers
mrix

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Lots of great advice. The best headphones have seperate volume controls for each side.
You'll never understand the real advantage of headphones until you get to be my age, and have hearing aids in both ears. ;D

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you plug in a pair of earphones, you disconnect the pa (power amp) that drives the speaker. When you cut the pa out of the circuit (use earphones) you will extend the battery life about 4 times. Reason enough for me. TTC

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Whatever headphones you decide to get, make sure you get the fullsized cups(that fully cover your ear). These help block out distracting sound from your surroundings. I've metal detected right next to an active railroad with few distractions. Sony makes a very good, fairly inexpensive set of these. You can find them at Walmart, Best Buy, etc for around $19-$24.

Pcola

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
It keeps you quiet...Many people dislike metal detectorists, and if your detector is loud...
Well, I hope that you can see what I mean...
Also, the batteries last longer.

OP
OP
riverite

riverite

Sep 15, 2008
campbell river bc
Detector(s) used
ace250 with sniper coil
HAVE SOLVED THE BATTERY LIFE PROBLEM

Attachments

• MC CAIN.jpg
    MC CAIN.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 317

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: headphones ?? Read this:

Google Ratphone and go to the technical section. If I had read that before I bought mine, I would have made a different choice. I am not saying Ratphone is good or even great, but they have some good information about how and why headphones work. Jim

Chaparral

Oct 5, 2008
Niceville, Florida
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, Infinium LS, Tiger Shark. TDI, E-Trac/SR X-1, Vision/SR DX-1, Excalibur II
19Blockhead64 said:
Headphones are a must.

I have a pair of Grey Ghost but I was thinking of trying what I see kids using with IPod's, that fit right into your ear.

Anyone ever try those? They would have to have some sort of volume control.

Hi,

I use Bose, Sure, and Sony earbuds with my Garrett 2500. Of the three, I prefere the Sure and Sony units because of the crisper sound. The Bose sound has too much base for me. Both the Bose and Sure earbuds came with a detachable volume control along with a variety of ear seals. The seals are to adapt the buds to different ear sizes and to reduce the amount of outside noise. The only other thing I needed was a 1/4" inch adapter.

The reason I went over to earbuds is their size and weight. It is a comfort thing. I didn't like bulky headphones on my head; plus they take up very little space when coiled up. I hope I was able to help.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrix2000 said:
You only seem to be able to buy them though as twin headphones unfortunatley for me, so I have had to mess about with them to make them just single in-ear head phones etc.
Over the past I have used just a single in-ear headphone, mainly because I like to hear whats going on around me at the same time as using the detector etc.
cheers
mrix

Seems like kids will yell whatcha findin three times before one tells the rest "He can't hear you" and find other interesting things.
I'm not sure if they make them still but the people that make Grey Ghosts had a single ear headphone. A guy I detected with let me try his. Kinda cool! Was pretty comfortable and left one ear open just in case you were poking that rattle snake under the bush with your coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread