Minelab Explorer XS - 2 Months in the shop!

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I am so freakin' frustrated that I have to vent !! ;D

My Explorer XS has been at Minelab's office in Vegas for one month and I called today to get a status. Not only have they not even looked at it, but it will be another 3 weeks or more before they even get to it and another week for it to be shipped back!

Man, what is going on? Is this normal for Minelab repair service lately? I had a totally different experience when dealing with them in the past. I wonder what's changed.

Thanks for letting me 'bend your ears' ;D.

Pcola

Upvote 0

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Several things are probably in play here:
1) New owners of the company, I have heard some of the "old timers" there have left. This would cause delays and disruption.
2) It's the end of the summer, everyone has broken toys and sent them in. This is the peak of their busy repair season, just like at the bicycle repair shop. Everyone takes their bikes in in the spring and summer. You take your bike in to be fixed in January and you get it same day. Same would probably go for a detector... faster service in the winter months.

I'm sure they are working as fast as they can while doing quality work. Better to take time and do it right the first time than have it returned to fix the same problem.
I can totally relate to your frustration though, as I would hate to be without my machine right now... the weather is great.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the new owners alright that don't put the same amount of care into customer service. Sandy was let go too.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
From what I was told, Sandy and one tech were let go at the same time. And they were never replaced. So they are working with at least one person down. When I called and talked with Sandy she talked me through several steps that helped diganose whether my machine needed serviced or not. She probably saved a lot of people money by not having them send in every machine whether it was broken or not.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks for the replies.

I got my hopes up for a fairly quick turn around because when I called them they said there would be 2-3 weeks total from the time they received it until the time I got it back. I guess this is just one of those things in life ;D.

I'm getting so desperate, I may have to swipe my 6 year old's Bounty Hunter this weekend :wink:

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread