Which hand held probe to get?

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT / White's Surf PI Pro / White's Surfmaster II / White's IDX / White's Classic III
If it is one of the new style Bullseye you can get a new one from Centerville Electronics for $10 and shipping. If it is the old style they will fix it for around $40. If you want a different pinpointer I bought one of the harbor freight ones for around $20 and it works pretty well.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a bulls eye and I wouldn't buy another one until they come up with a better button. Mine feels like it's about to break I really have to push hard on it.

I think my next one will be the vibra-probe.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the new Garrett Pro- Pointer really solid works very good.............

The Hunter

Sep 25, 2007
Forney, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I used the Vibra probe until I got the sunray mounted on my xlt. Like the Vibra probe a lot, but I had to keep the coil of the xlt far away or it would cause constant falsing in my ears. Other than that it was great.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Vibraprobe 570 and really enjoy using it and never hunt without it, but I get interference from it interacting with the detector so I ordered a new Garrett pro pointer because of the lack of interference it's supposed to have.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the new Garrett is nice. i just dont like the fact that you cant turn the sound off and use only the vibrate function.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
NONE ...

Go with the SUNRAY if you can ...

It's the ONLY way to FLY ...

~ Nick ~

ive been tempted, believe me! :wink:the reasons i dont go that route are because my SE is already too heavy and i dont want to add additional weight to it. i also sometimes use a Garrett 2500 and the sunray will only work with the minelab unless i buy another one for the Garrett. other than those issues i hear they are awesome!

dirtdigr

Greenie
Sep 25, 2008
I agree with Nick, the Sunray inline probes are the best!!!

Another option for a good hand held probe is the pocket uniprobe.

HH
Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
dirtdigr said:
I agree with Nick, the Sunray inline probes are the best!!!

Another option for a good hand held probe is the pocket uniprobe.

HH
Mike
I know the Sunray is a good probe ...BUT for me i like a probe that will work with any detector..AND also i do not like the extra cable i have to drag around and get caught in things like things i have on me or brush.............. Now the UniProb is good also ...............BUT for me it would have to be what i have ...The Garrett's new Pro-pointer...And i will say Garretts Pro-Pointer is a really nice probe ..............the best hand held i have ever used......I liked it better than the Whites but the switch falls apart on all of them..............and the vibra prob that kept setting my detector off..........................And what i want to try out if you like a PI probe Detector Pros ..Pistol Probe........................................==Jim_K==

OP
OP
T

tinnpan

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2008
Thats whats happened to my whites bullseye 2 , the switch is broken! im going to add a new type switch to it so i can still use it. Am thinking hard about the sunray probe for my new explorer 2. I also have a mxt thats why I want a hand held probe, cant aford two sunrays at the moment!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:.......But that new Detector Pro's ..Pistol Probe .. is a PI and gets 6 inches in depth and works with any detector and no cables to drag around.......... :thumbsup: :coffee2:........................==Jim_K==............. www.detectorpro.com ....

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
If you liked it and can get it fixed why not do it? If ya got loot the Sunray is one good way to go.

My 2 cents

I use the Cen-Tech cheapo. I beat the crap out of it and even use it as a dig tool in the sand just stabbing it in the sand. I am really surprised I have not broke it yet. This unit will only go off if its 2 inches or less from target. I don't need or want a pinpointer that goes off at a wider range. That will just make me do more searching defeating the point of a pinpointer. My coil gets me close ....my pinpoint tells me exactly where it is. When I finally break it (and I am sure I will) I plan on getting another. You can convert it for $6 (or so) to vibrate only. It has a loud tone to it. I use a piece of tape over the little speaker hole which cuts the volume in half. Its just loud enough that I can hear it without taking the phones off. This thing works great.

I have added a pic of 2 small items I located and dug with my ace 250. Both of these items would not have been found if I did not have a pinpointer that did close work. Its very frustrating to dig a hole and not locate the item(makes you think the big one got away). It only has one volume (silent or buzzing) for all metal items, but since it goes off so close I don't feel I have ever missed a thing with it. The pic attached is of the 2 items( seperate digs) wrapped in tape next to a dime. The ace found it and the pinpoint located it in the dirt.

Attachments

• DSC04366.JPG
    DSC04366.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 375

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I got the White's Bullseye with my detector also bought something similar from Harbor Freight. They're OK but really limited on range (maybe 1 inch or a bit more). Which is why I am thinking of the Uniprobe or the Sunray. Comments from most are that these give more range and I think that would help. On an average size plug I have pulled from the ground, the Bullseye sometimes doesn't have enough range to pick up the target in the plug and I would hope that the Sunray would.

Optic

OP
OP
T

tinnpan

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2008
Well I setteled for the garret pointer and I received it in the mail today and took it out for a test run! First let me say that it is very well built compared to the whites bullseye pointer( Are you listening whites?) And I chose this over the new detector pro probe because the garret is much smaller. Didn't want to carry that large of a probe around. The Garrett works very very well! I really like that the sound and vibration intensify as you get closer to the object! I was wanting a vibration only unit but I do like the sound with the vibration but is alittle loud. I put my thumb over the speaker hole and that brings down the sound enough to not be so noticable. Gets good depth about 11/2 to 2 inches on a dime. Did i say very well built? The Holster Is a added plus, also very well built. I always carried my whites around or in my pocket. I hunted without my whites for a week and a half because the switch broke and was getting along without a pinpointer but since i got this one its so much easier, no tuning! Am very satisfied and I highly recommend this pointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread