Question on Swing Speed

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Okay, I'm hunting the Silver uMax and finding some good stuff (my avatar being my best so far but also have found some jewelry and lots of coins). I am routinely finding 4" coins and have detected a quarter at 7" in a test garden when I knew it was there.

My question is, how slow should my swing speed be for really deep coins? Are we talking barely-moving slow?

Also, can someone eleborate on the 'whisper tone' I'm reading about on the deep signals. Is the tone really quieter on deeper signals (that probably varies by detector I would assume)?

I'm trying to get beyond hitting the top layer to find some deep and hopefully older, stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My opinion on this is that there's no way to answer your question in printed text. How can a swing speed be described? I mean, what is "slow"? what is "medium"? It can only be shown as it is a "feel" sort of thing. Same with "what does a deep whisper sound like?" I mean, how is that supposed to be described in text? It would be like someone asking "please describe the sound of C minor in printed text". It can't be done. It has to be heard.

Your best bet is to hook up with someone proficient, in your area, at finding deep coins. Ie.: not a sandbox hunter, but someone who can routinely go into old turfed areas, and reliably "call" the TID of deeper potential coins. Like: "sounds to me like a deeeep wheatie or silver". Then you swing over the flagged spot, and try all different swing speeds, compare to other shallower or junk signals, etc... Only then will the "lights go on".

Another way is to dig 100s upon 100s of signals, trying all different swing speeds and making notes of sounds. Pretty soon, a pattern will develop. But this would have to be at a prolific good site. Because if you try this at a sorry worked out site, the deep ones you're trying to learn may be too few and far between for you to pick up on patterns. And this is assuming we're talking turf, where depth and age is usually correlated, as opposed to a relicky site, where there may not be that correlation.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I typically use a pattern that takes 2 seconds to make a complete swing ( start on right, to the left back to right)
I've found that I can find things a lot deeper by slowing my speed, it gives your MD a chance to analyze what it's "seeing" and let you know what it might be

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Sniffer:

Thanks. So about 1 second on each arc. That's a good way to describe it. I think I'm going just a little faster than that. I also like your thought on giving the machine time to report what it's seen. Good way of looking at it. Especially if it crosses more than one target.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Jason

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you're in a trashy area, try a smaller coil to concentrate and separate the signals

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
The more trash, the slower you should go.
Also, the more trash, the smaller the coil you should use.

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Jason, I completely agree with the other posts. I have found that the slower
you go, the more good targets you will find. It gives the machine time to
respond to the signals.
Also, great advise on coil size. In very trashy areas use a small coil. Works
very well. I use a small coil all the time and it really seperates the signals
well, good from trash.
Best of luck. (blklab)

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I agree with the above posts,however,when I use my F5,I have to really increase my swing speed.I can take a quarter(or other coins) and move it across slowly and I get no response but if I pass it by really fast,bingo and the ID is correct.In pinpoint,I can,of course,go much slower.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of coil are you using with your uMax? If you're using the 12 x 10, it depends on the level of trash in a site...and if it is a really trashy spot, you should be using the stock or small coil anyhow...

Sniffer said:
I typically use a pattern that takes 2 seconds to make a complete swing ( start on right, to the left back to right)
I've found that I can find things a lot deeper by slowing my speed, it gives your MD a chance to analyze what it's "seeing" and let you know what it might be

I swing with the 12 x 10 this slow. With the stock coil--if I'm in an iron patch, yes.

It isn't a matter of the detector seeing everything so much as it's a matter of the USER being able to sort out the good beeps from the chirps and blips.

Another thing to increase depth is to overlap sweeps by Half or more.

-Buckles

XT18000

May 26, 2008
If you think you are going slow enough; you are probably going to fast! Get down into crawl.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suggestion, no matter how slow your swing is, slow it down some more.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread