What do you use to put dirt on?

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=13pt]Since my kids are grown and my grandkids have plenty to play with, I've got a bunch of frizbee's and I decided to make good use of one of them. I took the softest one I could find that would fold in half easy.

I cut off about 3 inches from the lip of the frizbee giving me a smooth edge. Now when I dig a plug and take dirt out of the hole I just drop it in the frizbee. After I retrieve my object I just fold the frizbee in half like a funnel and pour all the dirt back in the hole. Clean, neat and quick.

I like the solid frizbee rather than a piece of plastic or a towel because before I pour it back in the hole I can pick it up and pass it over the coil to be sure there is nothing else in that pile.

I'm using an 8 inch frizbee and this size works out just fine for me. I've heard of others doing this, does anyone else here use a frizbee?

frzbetn1.jpg

frzbetn3.jpg

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dollar Store lightweight plastic green bathmat here. Cost a buck, and has lasted for 15 years. It's also big enough to kneel on and put dirt on it at the same time.

-BuckleBoy

T

The.Boomer

Vinyl shelving cover. remove backing and stick to Identical piece. I throw them away at years end and make a new one every year. costs me a buck at Family Dollar. Durable enough to last well beyond a year, but just easier for me to make a new one every year. So far I'm starting a new role this year so the role lasts me about three years. They work great as all I have to do after dumping dirt back into hole I can just fold it up and stick it back in my md pouch. But also don't use it much anymore since I learned to pop coins. :wink:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Get an old large innertube (like from a larger truck or whatever). Cut out a square about 15" square. It's pliable enough to be easily and quickly folded up to put back in your apron between digs. Dirt shakes off easy, etc... (as opposed to a terry-towel or cloth which get muddied and gunked up)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Get an old large innertube (like from a larger truck or whatever). Cut out a square about 15" square. It's pliable enough to be easily and quickly folded up to put back in your apron between digs. Dirt shakes off easy, etc... (as opposed to a terry-towel or cloth which get muddied and gunked up)

Thats what I like about my bathmat--I can hose it off. :thumbsup:

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
I use vinyl placemats. Like from a kitchen table.
I go to the dollar store and buy 4 for a buck. They're cheap.
They'll last me a year.
They're totally flexible, and make a perfect funnel shape to put dirt back into very small holes, without spilling a bit on the ground outside of my plug.

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
All very good ideas. Done the cloth, so I'm thinking the frizbee is next on the list. Just hope the Frizbee Dan doesn't grab it next time I'm at Sewell Park in San Marcos Tx.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I use a cloth napkin. Then I bought a plastic gripper for a tarp (Home Depot or Lowe's) for a couple of bucks, they come in various colors (black, blue, or yellow).

Put the gripper on the napkin and hang it from a "S" hook that I had attached to my coin / trash pouch. The gripper adds weight to it so it doesn't get blown away in the wind. It can also be used to wipe or dry your hands if needed.

I have also seen ones where a person sewed marbles or nonmetallic weights into the corners so it would not blow away in the wind and just carried it in the coin pouch.

Jeff

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
I use a reg. size bandana with a picture of \Barack Obama , when get all the dirt out,
I just put the bandana back in the hole and leave it. LOL ;D

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
I use a empty Brinks box for half dollars ($500)box)..You can get stuff 9"inch deep by 5" round plugs worth of dirt in there.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto on the old standard: A heavy cloth restaurant napkin.
Hey, I'm old school - been doing that for 20 years.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Some good ideas posted here. I, personally, would take into consideration the portability of the item. A Frisbee would work fine, but a bit bulky to carry around. I would opt for the more flexable items that can be folded or rolled up and carried in the coin pouch or your pocket. I like the inner tube idea but would be concerned about the rubber smell :o. When I use such an item, I just use a red service station rag. Folds up nicely and easy to carry.

Ray S

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
I use one of those plastic roll up sled its easy to carry and its about 18x 28 so good size to have a deep holes worth of dirt.has its own handle built in.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I took part of a leg off an old pair of jeans, Then I attached two dowel rods opposite each other. The natural taper of the leg makes it a funnel when you pick it up to dump the dirt back in the hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread