Pistol Probe check this video out

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I just got my pistol probe and have only used it once. I'll share my findings so far.

It does have awesome range and air tests 5 to 6 inches on a coin. An earlier post commented that this can actually make it harder to locate the target and the point is well taken. Either setting this probe to less range or using another type of probe very well may make it easier to located the coin. With 5 or 6 inches of range, in many cases, you would not really be able to say the coin is still in the bottom of the hole or in the sides of the hole.

You need a screwdriver to change the batteries and the cover that hides the controls is kind of weird. In cold weather with gloves on you would have a tough time opening up to change a setting. I am sure it will win some sort of award in product design, but on a practical basis it is awkward to pop the cover off to get to the controls.

It comes with a really nice cover that serves also a holster with a belt loop built in. The cover offers protection to the unit from drops or rain and dirt. However, if you are using it as a holster on your belt, you would actually have to remove the detector from it. This is tough because it fits like a tight glove on the thing and holds it very snugly. It has a nice reinforced hole which allows access to turning it on through this cover.

It is big. My thought is they could have shaved an inch or two off the probe. It's length makes it difficult to carry in my leather pouch. You could dig a 12 inch deep hole and stick this thing in it and detect a coin 6 inches deeper than the hole (total 18 inches) which I think is for the most part too deep for my detector to find coins (but maybe relics). So on a practical basis it's a bit too long.

Even set on high, the audio tone was difficult to hear with some nearby traffic noise. The LED is bright but in full sun difficult to see still. Earlier posters had commented that vibration would have been a nice option and I agree.

I did try using it to pin point before digging my hole and it does work well. If you are using a screwdriver to pop coins out of the ground, this probe may be very useful.

So in some ways it's like having a pretty nice all metal hand held detector. I will be trying it some more but will have my Bullseye nearby. I will post updates later. Hope this helps.

Opticman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions