Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
China's Verson of The Explorer and BEWARE of the Crooks

As usual I'm here to answer questions nobody is asking.

I buy way too many different metal detectors and enjoy testing them out in the real world.

I've now finished testing a few Chinese units sold off ebay. The only unit I've found so far that's worth about $100 max is the GC1023. It's consistant at about 4 inches deep on a dime and maybe 5 inches on a quarter. It's cheaply made but worth the low price as it's faster than greased lightening and the tones and auto ground balance seem to work well. It runs forever on its 2 9-volt batteries and the machine really produces. It's light as a feather and holds up well.

BUT...watch out for those other Chinese units and sellers!

I tested the model sometimes called the "ADVANCED METAL DETECTOR 3030 - EXPERT" (many different names). My machine was 100% trash! The connector from the coil was defective and that was the best feature on that machine. It's programming (Explorer style) was a joke.

Many times these sellers get lots of good feedback because often the buyer never even tests the machine before posting feedback. These crooks are counting on that bad move on the part of the buyer. Also, as us old timers know, many detectors work extremely well in an air test but out in the real world they're worthless junk.

I got it from that big ebay seller of general Chinese merchandise out of Canada. Right now I'm fighting via Paypal to get my money back. I returned the trash machine but the seller seems to have a bad memory.

Advice:

1. Generally stay with the major brands and don't buy Chinese.

2. Whenever buying a detector online do the following:

a) Read the ad very carefully and ask questions if anything is unclear.
b) Never pay by money order or Western Union, etc. (a rare exception would be someone you know you can trust).
c) Pay via Paypal from your credit card.
d) If you want a refund, contact the seller 1st.
e) If he doesn't respond within 3 days time, file the issue with Paypal. If he doesn't respond to the Paypal message to him within 24 hours, escalate the process to Paypal arbitration.
f) Wait for Paypal to send you the true return address to the seller.
g) Mail the detector back via some tracking method and keep all shipping papers (very important).
h) Send Paypal the tracking number of the returned detector.

Many times all these steps won't be necessary. But, when it comes to some sellers of detectors, these steps are essential or you could lose all your money.

Oh, and too, sellers don't want you to know that if you're not satisfied with you purchase of anything off ebay, they have to refund not only your purchase price but also the postage you paid. Paypal has a strong buyer protection position. Those ads that say "AS IS" with "no refunds" are simply a bluff. :wink:

Thought you'd all like to know.

Badger

Upvote 0

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: China's Verson of The Explorer and BEWARE of the Crooks

Good advice.

Those Chinese detectors sold on E-Bay are being bought by people that are curious and don't want to spend a lot of money is my guess.

I was one of them except mine worked long enough to get me hooked before I threw it out in the trash and bought a Whites.

In a way those cheap machines are doing me a favor. The people that buy them get frustrated with them and they dig only shallow coins leaving me the good ones.

Call me selfish but I prefer not to have any computation. ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

19Blockhead64 said:
Good advice.

Those Chinese detectors sold on E-Bay are being bought by people that are curious and don't want to spend a lot of money is my guess.

I was one of them except mine worked long enough to get me hooked before I threw it out in the trash and bought a Whites.

In a way those cheap machines are doing me a favor. The people that buy them get frustrated with them and they dig only shallow coins leaving me the good ones.

Call me selfish but I prefer not to have any computation. ;D

Yep, you're right. I did a thread here a couple years back on "Are we wise to promote the hobby?" (or words to that affect). Most who posted said "NO."

Why do we do it then? Pride. A major part of doing anything has to do with the opinions of others. Someone once wrote: "If all the world were blind, who would have need of expensive luxuries?" (or words to that affect).

Badger

T

The.Boomer

Do Doctors and Dentists actually have your best interest at heart ? :-\

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

The.Boomer said:
Do Doctors and Dentists actually have your best interest at heart ? :-\

Not sure I get the connection with the thread but I'd say sometimes yes and other times no. Like anything it depends on the person.

But sense you brought this up, I'll say most dentists should be arrested and put in prison were they can't hurt anyone. I've had lots of dental problems over the years and 95+% of the dentists I visited were incompetent. A good dentist is worth more than his weight in gold.

T

The.Boomer

The question was asked are we wise to promote the hobby ? My answer is that the same concept can be asked of Doctors and Dentists. Why would they seek to cure people if it meant the downfall of their profession ? Guess I could of used the ole, why make your bed if your just gonna mess it up again at night.The answer is quite obvious, because there's always something new. New diseases, new causes of tooth decay, new items of precious metals/artifacts/gems/fossils etc....I'd continue MDing if all there was to look forward to was an occasional piece of jewelry. So promote away it can't hurt a thing IMHO. :icon_sunny:

BTW, I make my bed, because that's what my momma taught me to do, besides it keeps my room looking nice during the day. ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice post Badger. I always suggest people buy from any of the major detector manufactures as they make stuff you can count on. You generally get what you pay for. Newbies coming into the hobby always get ripped off buying on the cheap, but then too they don't really know if they will continue and think they may upgrade just like we did.

On promoting the hobby, I believe there is enough land out there for all of us. If someone beats me to the goodie, I know I need to get out there earier and more often to beat them.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman said:
Very nice post Badger. I always suggest people buy from any of the major detector manufactures as they make stuff you can count on. You generally get what you pay for. Newbies coming into the hobby always get ripped off buying on the cheap, but then too they don't really know if they will continue and think they may upgrade just like we did.

On promoting the hobby, I believe there is enough land out there for all of us. If someone beats me to the goodie, I know I need to get out there earier and more often to beat them.

As always right on. And too the problem isn't really competition--it's land development and freedom eating laws.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Well i bought the last two detectors on Ebay and will not buy another off Ebay. One was a minelab that did not work right i did get my money back lucky me....The other was a compass that i got stuck with and i have to send it down to Keith Wills to get checked out. And i bought a Minelab off treasurenet here that was like new so if i want a diffrent detector i will look on treasurenet........or at Keiths place www.brokendetector.com .Jim_K

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I know what you mean Jim, ebay is always a big gamble.

I did pretty well with my detectors and out of a dozen used ones maybe 3 were junk. They "worked" but just barely.

I've gotten my best used machines from the various forum members.

But you just can't beat brand new from a real dealer.

Badger

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Michigan Badger said:
I know what you mean Jim, ebay is always a big gamble.

I did pretty well with my detectors and out of a dozen used ones maybe 3 were junk. They "worked" but just barely.

I've gotten my best used machines from the various forum members.

But you just can't beat brand new from a real dealer.

Badger
Yes badger i have been haveing trouble with the Ebay detectors and no more for me . Like you say new is best if there is something wrong you don't have to put up with a bunch of bull and then get stuck with it. To much of a chance with used.... .............The Compass i bought i can't even sell it untill i get it checked out if i did i would be like those other sellers of used detectors that don't work right.......................==Jim_K==

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes badger i have been haveing trouble with the Ebay detectors and no more for me . Like you say new is best if there is something wrong you don't have to put up with a bunch of bull and then get stuck with it. To much of a chance with used.... .............The Compass i bought i can't even sell it untill i get it checked out if i did i would be like those other sellers of used detectors that don't work right.......................==Jim_K==

Yep, what so many do is just pass a bad buy on to someone else.

And too, sometimes detectors are like old used cars. Fixing them is never really fixing them, if you know what I mean?

I once had an old Tesoro model and it arrived defective. I decided to sell it but had to get it repaired first so back to Tesoro it went. When it came back they had replaced a couple parts and it worked better but it still wasn't where it should have been. I finally sold it cheap to someone willing to deal with it.

There's a whole lot going on with these machines. The coils can be defective and/or the main "motherboard." Some just aren't worth getting repaired due to too many problems.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

And a key phrase to watch out for when buying on E-bay.....

"Major manufacturer."

I guess if you pound out thousands of pieces of junk, you'd be considered a "major manufacturer"...even tho it is junk.

They try to fool you into believing it's one of the reliable manufacturers, like minelab or whites...when it's a no-name piece of donkey doo.

Al

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

never had a problem getting detectors off of ebay i've purchased 7, but dig get burnt on a digital camera that was junk, and the seller split

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

deepskyal said:
And a key phrase to watch out for when buying on E-bay.....

"Major manufacturer."

I guess if you pound out thousands of pieces of junk, you'd be considered a "major manufacturer"...even tho it is junk.

They try to fool you into believing it's one of the reliable manufacturers, like minelab or whites...when it's a no-name piece of donkey doo.

Al

Yes, exactly right. In time the Chinese will probably make a decent high level detector. Right now there are just too many quality issues just like with those units made in Mexico (as they found out with the F75).

Yep, today their ads of "Professional" or "Expert" are mostly doo.

China has a few low level VLF's that are about as deep as an Ace 250 or Tesoro Silver but those units lack the accessory potential of the major brands plus they are so cheaply constructed that they just turn most people off. And too most countries know full well China is a dangerously aggressive anti-human rights country and that certainly doesn't help any.

But China (the far east in general) already rules in this hobby. They are doing it as they are doing it in the general electronic business world. They do it via brand names actually made by them with tiny little assemblies done by the country of import.

Personally, I think large portions of even our so-called brand made detectors are now made either in China or Mexico. The reason the major brands are so good (Whites, Tesoro, Garrett, etc.) is our quality control and the fact that the parts ordered out of China/Mexico/ Taiwan/etc., are all properly tested and soldered into place.

Open any major brand machine today and you'll see China throughout the inside. But it's China's parts with our quality control/tuning and that's what makes the difference. And too most US firms use higher quality external parts (boxes, knobs, coil housings, etc.) which has great impact upon the mind.

See those crapy Chinese units we see on ebay are really just extra money makers for them. Their real money comes from the brand name sales (of all electronics, etc.).

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Thompy said:
never had a problem getting detectors off of ebay i've purchased 7, but dig get burnt on a digital camera that was junk, and the seller split

My wife got taken on a PDA.

I used to buy rare paintings off ebay back in their earlier days. After I lost $$$ on forgeries (tons of them are sold there) I ceased buying them. There was a guy operating out of New Mexico who burned many people like me by selling us "original watercolors" of early Civil War magazine illustrations. I paid $125 for one and eventually gave it to a thrift shop. I found out it was a near worthless machine made replica.

A giant book could be written about the ripoffs on ebay.

One of my personal favorites are these guys selling Canada dug coppers and selling them as American Colonial dug coppers. Up in areas of eastern Canada where the "Loyalists" settled, they dig these old coppers by the bucketfuls. Some even find a good number of state coppers. These sell for 2-10 times their worth to US suckers who are told they were dug in the US.

If it's offered on the bay do some serious thinking before buying anything offered there. But also remember that ebay's new rules make it very difficult for a con man to burn you. Lots of people don't know this or just don't want the hassle of getting their money back. Cons count on this.

Sometimes Paypal won't solve the problem so then you must move to "Chargeback." This is why you always pay via Paypal and credit card. If Paypal fails to come through for you then go to your credit card company and file a "Chargeback." Be sure you don't go over the time limit to file.

The problem with "Chargeback" is it can take a long time to get your money back.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Badger... like i said after the last 2 detectors i got off Ebay i will never buy another one there.......==Jim_K==

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Jim_K said:
Badger... like i said after the last 2 detectors i got off Ebay i will never buy another one there.......==Jim_K==

My best deals came from members at the Finds Forum.

It looks now like that seller on ebay may take me for the full amount.

He simply refused to accept the returned detector and Paypal won't refund the money until he accepts the return.

Cool huh?

Tomorrow I file for a chargeback from my Visa. If they don't rule in my favor I'm sunk.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Michigan Badger said:
Jim_K said:

He simply refused to accept the returned detector and Paypal won't refund the money until he accepts the return.

Cool huh?

Tomorrow I file for a chargeback from my Visa. If they don't rule in my favor I'm sunk.
Good luck to you Badger i know what it is like........Yep that is not good i got stuck for one of mine also..2 months ago on Ebay could not get my money back paid with pay pal but no credit card................But i got one off treasure net here good price and like new so i will still look for detectors on treasurenet here..............==Jim_K==

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Jim_K said:
Michigan Badger said:
Jim_K said:

Cool huh?

Good luck to you Badger i know what it is like........Yep that is not good i got stuck for one of mine also..2 months ago on Ebay could not get my money back paid with pay pal but no credit card................But i got one off treasure net here good price and like new so i will still look for detectors on treasurenet here..............==Jim_K==

The Paypal refund only works with basically honest sellers. The crooks are protected by them.

Like you wrote, paying by credit card is the only way to buy online.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread