Do you ever get the feeling?

R

rvbvetter

You ever feel that your neighbor hood, thinks of you as the village idiot, when ever they see you out detecting?
Sometimes i see curiosity in peoples faces as they go by. And some stop and ask the usual question. If i really find stuff with that thing?
And then there's the ones, that by the look on their faces, and without their saying a word.
You know their thinking that; That idiots doing it again. And to them you might as well be out there swinging a stick to and fro.

I can't really say that it bothers me. Just curious if any one else notices it, or senses it.

Do you ever?

Upvote 0

tehya

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2005
When I first started metal detecting, most of my friends thought I was a little nuts, but after I started finding alot of old coins and jewerly they changed their opinion. Last year I took a trip to the beach and I was metal detecting, when I looked up and noticed a man walking toward me real fast. My first thought was this guy is going to spaz on me, but turned out he was on vacation and had lost a real expensive ring in the sand. He told me he had been looking for the ring for about three hours with no luck. I ask him to back track the area with me from the time he arrived until the time he first noticed it was missing, I found the ring in about 15 minuets.

I always ask permission to hunt an area, because most of the time people will give you information on spots where events happened many years ago. I also fill in my holes after I dig, and while I am hunting I will fill in other peoples holes and pick up their trash, every person that has given me permission to hunt has told me that I am welcome back anytime. Alot of places will not allow metal detecting because of how the property was treated by others. The best advice I can give people just getting started in this hobby is to please respect the places you are hunting and try to leave it looking a little better when you done.

tehya

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I get that feeling, but hell they may think that anyways who knows ?
When I was a kid [late 70's] I recall seeing a few detectorists and thinking 'what losers they must be, scrounging around for pocket change'.
It never entered my mind that there may in fact be more out there than just pocket change, and in any case it might be an enjoyable hobby.
So alot of people probably think along those lines too.
I've only had one kind of insulting comment, and this at a woodchip playground [I had my own two youngsters there with me]
There was this picnic going on in the area with probably over 100 folks, and their kids of course were playing.
I was trying my best to stay out of the way, and in fact wouldn't have stayed if I didn't have my own kids there.
The kids were following me around like the pied piper, and there wasn't much I could do about it.
This one old buzzard looked kind of annoyed for whatever reason, and finally walked over to me and said, in a rather mocking manner 'I got a bunch of bottles and cans laying over there if you want them'.
I just said 'I'm all right Jack - Keep them for yourself' and moved on.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLA: I am in a different boat since I work in Mexico on caches. Here most are checked out on treasures and detectors. Generally within a few minutes you are approached by many with stories of their own, most are worthless, but nevertheless, it pays to courteously listen to their pet stories as every so often a gem pops up. I now have probably around 1000 fairly good stories with perhaps 500 with a solid basis. Just too many to work on so I concentrate on just the best, it has paid off -I have been eating fairly regularly, hehehe.

Jose de La Mancha ( I tilt windmills )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread