Do you ever get the feeling?

R

rvbvetter

You ever feel that your neighbor hood, thinks of you as the village idiot, when ever they see you out detecting?
Sometimes i see curiosity in peoples faces as they go by. And some stop and ask the usual question. If i really find stuff with that thing?
And then there's the ones, that by the look on their faces, and without their saying a word.
You know their thinking that; That idiots doing it again. And to them you might as well be out there swinging a stick to and fro.

I can't really say that it bothers me. Just curious if any one else notices it, or senses it.

Do you ever?

Upvote 0

SparklyStuff

Jul 14, 2005
;D The psychology of voyeurs of md.

Cracks me up sometimes how people can be giving the stink eye like they do.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To Be Honest I don't get that feeling .

maby it's because they hide it better around here.

Or maby they just don't Care .

JEFF

Attachments

• Explorer-II.jpg
    Explorer-II.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 600
  • Explorer-II.jpg
    Explorer-II.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 600

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT,

? ?I did Get a Wierd Look From the Girl at RADIO SHACK last night when I walked into the Store Carrying My EXPLORER? ;D

It's only the 3rd. Time I'v done that.

? ?But I figure, it's easier to Try Parts In the Store, Then Buy them & maby end up Returning Them.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm with lets_go......my family thinks I am nuts! :D

And my neighbors.....who knows what they think!

I do have the cover of all the trees right now....but wait till fall.... :D

;)

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
My parents thought I was crazy till I found some good stuff, like that watch, or anything marked sterling ;)

I could care less about what people think ;D People do get curios around here because im the only one who detects the town.

One guy thought I was creeping around with a gun lol, then I showed him it beeped over metal and he was a little embarrassed :-[

Chester Copper Pot

Apr 16, 2005
WI
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro
If I get the stink eye, I figure they just don't know me well enough. Some days I do other things. "Other" things not "better" ;)

R

rusty nails

I dont have to be detecting to get that look ! - my kids think its cool i find stuff in the ground no matter what it is - my wife knew 15 yrs ago i was nuts( so she dont count) the rich bit%*es at the part always say something stupid to me - (i quit posting all of them) but anyways - i was ending a pretty good clad o rama saturday morning around 745am when two woman one smarter than the other- had just got out of their brand new mercedes benz -(i have no problem w/that) walking their black lab (go figure poor dog - probably doesnt know what a duck is - except the ones he sees in his owners LL BEAN CATALOG) anyways the lady with the dog says - "my dog is scared of your machine he doesnt know what it is " !!! :P so in a daze - its my natural state - i am flabbergasted with 1 million smart butted responses going through my brain - the other lady tells her - it finds quarters underground then he digs them up - she replies - hey when i want quarters i can go to the bank to get as many as i want.................................... no i dont care - but i do get that feeling - ;D but i digress LBP

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About half the people I see think I'm running a weed eater. They also probably think they're going deaf because they can't hear it! Some smarta$$ said, "That sure is a quiet weedeater"! I responded, " You can't hear it because I'm wearing earmuffs"! He just got this puzzled look on his face and walked away. Another one saw me detecting at a school and said, "Aren't you ashamed for stealing little kid's lunch money"? I told him. "No, but I am a little ashamed of stealing your old lady's diamond ring"! He just sulled up and huffed off. Fortunately most of the people I talk to are very curious and inquisitive. More than one has said they had always wanted to try metal detecting and wanted to know how much it would cost to get started. My neighbors kinda' look at me strange sometimes when I am out practicing in my coin garden. But, every once in a while one will come over and want to know if I think I can find something they lost. One lady lost something in her car and wanted to know if she could borrow my metal detector. I loaned her my pinpointer after explaining it wouldn't work in the car because it was encased in metal. I forgot what she was looking for now but she found it! JIM

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
here is what you do.. you get all kinds of old coins gold,silver.. make like a cache and take a pic of it all make it look real nice.. then Carry that pic on you when you go out detecting and when someone ask if you find stuff.. you take that pic out and say look at this cache i found in the ground it is worth $7.000 and that is not my best find ..i cant tell you my best find it is still in the legal system..

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the world is full of morans! i usually go early in the morning while most of the stupid people are still sleeping!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D LOL! :D

Hollowpointred

;)

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. most people are morons. The ones giving you the stink eye, who think of YOU as the villiage idiot, are the ones who just proved thay THEY are! Around here, most people just ignore me, and the ones that do make conversation are usually just curious. I get the usual "Do you find anything with that?" and "How much does one of those cost?", and I try to be social and explain the hobby in simple, general terms to them, making sure that they see my big bag of trash that I'm hauling off.

R

rusty nails

I have gotten the weedwacker referance twice - i love the tips like u should go do that down in FLORIDA where all the people lose all that money - hey lady i feel lucky if i get out 3 hrs a week to do this let alone - travel to florida w/my ace ventura 250 - (theres more than 1 good reason thats the model i have) :P lbp

J

joe of p-ville

Would be a good skit for "Blue Collar tv", to go back a few. "That weed eater doesn't make any sound", That's because I have my earphones on." Here's your sign". Joe

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
How many times have you heard this? "If you find a gold chain it's mine"
My response " was it about 18 inches long and heavy?" " nope never seen it"

tduffy

Aug 11, 2005
LOL! I love that: "You can't hear my weed wacker because of my headphones...."

Usually when I see someone using a Weed eater my first thought is they are MD'ing, I should have guessed non- Md'ers were thinking the other way around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread