The lost ring....

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Was recently contacted by a good friend and fellow MDer. Seems he was requested to look for a lost ring. Story was that the owner of an rather expensive bird was chasing the bird, that somehow managed to escape from the home. Said bird flew into a fenced area. Owner climbed fence and some how dislodged his ring climbing over the fence. The ring is now located somewhere inside the fenced in area. My friend managed to gain access to the fenced in area but was unable to find the ring. He asked if I would give it a try. Told him I would be glad to look for the lost ring.

Called the owner and we arranged an appointment to search for the ring. When I arrived the owners brother met me and we went to the fenced in area, but the gates were locked. The folks who have the keys to the locked gates could not be located so I gave the brother my card and told him to let me know when he can arrange access to the area.

I might do a drive by this weekend to see if the area can be accessed. If not I will have to wait for the call from the brother.

BTW, the bird is still at large as well as the ring.

Ray S

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on locating the ring.

Having found many rings for folks I always have to think that when someone says they know where a ring is lost it is usually somewhere else. Sometimes they take it off eariler and forget about it. In this case it could also be very near the fence where the detector will have trouble locating it unless you use a sniper coil to get near the fence. I am assuming it is a metal fence.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Sandman said:
Good luck on locating the ring.

Having found many rings for folks I always have to think that when someone says they know where a ring is lost it is usually somewhere else. Sometimes they take it off eariler and forget about it. In this case it could also be very near the fence where the detector will have trouble locating it unless you use a sniper coil to get near the fence. I am assuming it is a metal fence.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Yes the fence is metal. I feel confident that if the ring is there that I can find it. Problem is that the gates ( more than one LOL) are all locked. Went by today but was unable to gain access. Will have to wait till I can contact the folks with the key to the gate or happen by when the gates are unlocked.

Don't know how long it will be before I can gain access, but will update the post when it happens.

Ray S

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have found quite a few items for folks. Even a wedding band in 15' of water...Anyhow, really interview the person who lost the ring carefully and read all the data given. My general experience is the item is never where they say it is. They're not being deceitful but they just didn't really realize when it went missing. Next door neighbor lost a gold tie stickpin in a narrow grass sidewalk next to his driveway when he was getting out of the car. I looked for hours and nothing. A few days later he told me he found it on the floorboard of his car. A method of increasing potential recovery is to search the area between where he thinks the ring came off and where he left from to get by their. In all reality he only 'noticed' the ring was missing when he was in "X" spot or that's where HE thought it must have come off. If he can retrace an accurate path it's not that much more to check and is worth checking. Good Luck...Jim

NWHunter61

Oct 26, 2008
Yakima, Washington
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray~
If it is of use to you...I had almost the exact same experience (minus the bird) and I did find the ring almost directly under the fence. My MD would only get to within about a foot of the fence before going nuts, so I used my pinpointer to do the rest. I found it with the pinpointer, just under the surface...it appeared the owner had taken the same path back over the fence and stepped on the ring on his way back over.

Good luck!
Murph

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Well I sure hope you get access soon and find the ring. That would be very frustrating and a lost bird to boot? sheeesh

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Did another drive-by today but the area is still locked. It is sports field and I will probably have to contact the folks who runt the complex for access.

It is on my list of things to do.

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread