Question on taking my detector as a carry on bag on airlines.

flbowhunter

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2008
Nature Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, AT PRO, Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre
Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work for USAIRWAYS and travel with my machine on a regular basis and there is not a problem
just make sure you have it broken down so it will fit in the overhead compartment.

So far I have not had NTS Security stop and even ask me what this is.
I am requared to go through the same security checkpoints that everyone else is requared to do.
So there is not an issue and they don't even have me open the bag to look at the item.

Good luck.
I'm sure you will not have a problem.
Richard

OP
OP
flbowhunter

flbowhunter

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2008
Nature Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, AT PRO, Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre
Thanks for the quick reply. I just got off the phone with South West, sorry as I know it's a competitor, she said the same thing, so I guess I'm good to go.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Last spring I flew on Midwest. Broke down my 250 and had it all in a duffel bag as carry on. They never even asked about it.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flbowhunter said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I just got off the phone with South West, sorry as I know it's a competitor, she said the same thing, so I guess I'm good to go.

They don't pay me enough to worry about who you fly with...
so I means nothing to me if you fly with someone else.

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the Bahamas and used a lot of different carriers. Had my Excal with me and a sand scoop that was a 2 piece thing. It always went through the x-ray but they never even looked into the bags. Make sure long before you go that the detector will really fit into your overhead luggage. You'd be surprised how long some of the rods are to make the total shaft. I had to search for a bag we had that would fit in the overhead and also allow the detector and scoop to fit. Good Luck...Jim

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I would ship it ahead if possible just to avoid any kind of hassles, I flew international with my CZ with no problems, but that was before 9/11.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made several trips the past 3 years and have always had it broken down and in my carry on luggage. No problems regardless of the airline

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
I travel all over the world with my machine. I always take it in my carryon. MAKE sure you take out the batteries. All batteries MUST be in your carryon in seperate package.

Les

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Went to the Bahamas ealier this year. I broke it down and checked it. They looked, left and inspection notice but didn't bother it. No worries.

Jason

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand the sand scoops and all, but what about the digging tools like treasure wise 3 in 1 or the old jimmie sierras dig it? will they allow those onto planes?

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigtim1973 said:
I can understand the sand scoops and all, but what about the digging tools like treasure wise 3 in 1 or the old jimmie sierras dig it? will they allow those onto planes?

I work for USAIRWAYS and I went to the beach and did not have a shovel (large regular ones I use on the beach)
Shovel cost me $13 so I did not want to dump it after 1 day of use on the beach.....
So what did I do ?
I went to k-mart bought a cheapo laundry bag and put the shovel in it tied it closed and then checked it through, back to my home.
nobody seems to have cared.
So from now on I will be checking my shovel at the front counter....

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It is my understanding that shovels, lesches, digging knives, etc. have to go as checked luggage not carry on. I'm traveling in mid-Jan. and am taking fresh batteries with me. They'll stay in the original packages as check in. Laptop and detectors will go as carry on.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I fly to Fla. 15 to 20 times a year, never any problems.......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread