Is It Dead????

maggiemacpoe

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2003
Hi everybody,

I was just getting ready to go out detecting....Since it is raining out I had planned to avoid any yards that might have lurking electrical currents (just waiting to get me) and stick with a friend's farm fields. When I went to check the battery status on my Spectrum (my favorite detector, even though it is 15 years old and weighs a ton) nothing happened. I thought maybe the C cells were dead even though I put new ones in before detecting yesterday. I switched to the Nicad battery, still nothing, I don't think it needs to be recharged as I haven't used it since I recharged it a few days ago. I tried different C cells with no luck. My husband likes to keep me happy so he went up to the store and bought some more for me. (He really didn't need to though since they work just fine in a flashlight) As you can probably guess, the ones he got didn't do the trick either, Gosh Darn It!!!

I hate to send the poor thing out again. (The Spectrum not my husband)
The toggle switch snapped off in my hand back in March and I had to send it out to get it fixed.

I guess I will have to settle for the XLT today, with the Surfmaster as my back-up.

Has this ever happened to any of you guys. Your detector is working just fine one day and dead the next. (Nothing out of the ordinary happened, I walked to the farm, detected for 4-5 hours, walked home, hung it up in the garage in the same spot as always) If so what did you do, send it out or fix it yourself? I don't care about the cost of repairs, I just don't like the down time while it is away. I know there are so many other great detectors out there on the market today and I wouldn't mind having at least one of each, but I KNOW this machine, it has become a good friend and I really don't want to replace it even though it is getting old.

MaggieMacpoe

Upvote 0

IronMike

Nov 2, 2003
Sacramento California
Hi Maggie. Sorry to here about you favorite one. I know how it is to be attached to your machine. If you are sure that you are putting the batteries in right, (I say that because I did it once, put one in backwards, it won't work that way) make sure the wires are still attached to the battery rack. I do not know of a fuse anywhere in line to check. Good luck.
Micheal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions