What are the Gold and Silver targets sounds?

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Upvote 0

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
generally the targets come in the same ranges on all machines. iron gold aluminum copper silver, but the size and shapes can move the targets around in the scale

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
On my Cz3d,

Silver will usually ring in as a high-tone... (top of the scale), But, if the target is really deep, ( 6" or more ) it might sound like iron (bottom of the scale).

Gold , what little I have found, rings in anywhere from "Nickel" to "Foil" with "Round pull-tabs & Square pull-tabs" in between the two...

You never can tell for sure until you dig it...
Your best bet when starting out is to probably dig everything and try to learn what your machine is telling you...
Hope that helps, a little anyway...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price of your detector will have not effect the sounds your detector makes regarding targets. On screens silver will read high on the scale and gold lower like was said. If you disc out pull tabs for instance, you will miss 90% of the gold rings.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Unfortunately gold and aluminum have the same conductivity per their size (ie.: low conductivity for small size portions). And thus the "sound" follows the "conductivity/size" slots. If anyone tells you that they can tell aluminum vs gold by "sound", hurry and rush them out to the nearest inner city blighted urban junky park, and turn them loose! See how many gold rings they can find, while passing aluminum foil wads, can slaw, tabs, etc... :-* :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Try this experiment: wave an entire aluminum can in front of your TID detector and see what it reads out as. Probably quarter, half, silver dollar, etc... right? (depending on how close you swing the target to the coil). Now snip out a fingernail sized snipped of that can and wave that in front of the coil, and you'll see that it might read down at nickel or tab, right? Now wad it up with pliars and see how it TID's, and you'll see that it doesn't read exactly where it did when it was flat, right? But WAIT! At no time did the object cease to be anything but aluminun! Just varying sizes and shapes, but the composition never changed. So too is it with gold verses aluminum verses copper, verses silver, etc... It's a combination of size and shape which also play into sound and TID.

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
:o :o :o........Guys, that's some GREAT info.I thought that it was my el-cheapo machine.I'm almost there to upgrade thanks to my "el-cheapo"!!I let my first machine pay for my "upgraded"one(minus gas and batteries, did I mention batteries?), :thumbsup:.Basically I will have a "free" 6-700 dollar machine if I choose to go that route, or I could put in out of pocket for a 'better' one. If there is such a thing :wink:
I did the can experiment thing on the aluminum can, the whole can came up on my machine as coins.Which on my machine is the money signal, start digging like a wild mad man,lol
I crushed it up, same high pitch sound.
Cut a small piece off, aluminum sound.
I then checked my 14 kt wedding band,aluminum/zinc signal.
Checked a 10kt ring I found, same signal.
I just wanted to know how the "pros" are getting their gold and silver finds,THANKS for sharing the info guys/gals !

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
A few years ago I went to a local ball park . I hunted the infield. I never like to dig pulltabs,but this day I was determed to dig them all. I dug 20 or better,but the same sound and target id on number 21 was a beautiful heavy 14kt mens wedding band. Same depth same sound same id. If you want gold you have to work for it. In the water I set my disc. as low as possable and dig all targets. Thats the key to finding gold. :thumbsup: Mike.

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
I never new this about the gold/silver signals.But hey, you never know unless you ask. Mine does not like wet sand at all !If it touches wet sand it screams like crazy. Dry sand, I think it will pick up china.... :D

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
usually a can has a good signal, but when you lift the coil, you still get a strong signal where a coin signal will drop off a lot faster

Duane B

Sep 24, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Fisher CZ5
Mike Silver-Gold is very correct - if you want gold you need to set the discrimination as low as it will go and dig everything!

Depending on the size, shape, and target orientation, gold will ID anywhere throughout the entire spectrum. If you have a good signal, small pieces of gold will sound like foil, medium pieces of gold will sound like a pull-tab, and large pieces of gold will sound like a zinc penny or higher. If you have a poor signal gold will sound like iron (remember that when you're searching above zero discrimination - you wont get a signal at all on tiny gold objects that are deep).

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thompy said:
usually a can has a good signal, but when you lift the coil, you still get a strong signal where a coin signal will drop off a lot faster

Excellent tip...one I use frequently.

Al

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Yea, I like the can tip ! I dont know how many times that sucker will beep, and I'm thinking this is it,onlt top find 5 or 6 beer cans buried in the sand.... >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread