Help needed how to catch a cheater!!!

D

Darla

Ok, I need everybodys help. Last night it happened again, it seems we have a bad egg that is a member of our local club. Once a month as a club members bring their finds to our meeting. Our club has a little competition on finds and we rack up points through out the year which help us reach the goal of detectorists of the year. As all of you know we work hard for our finds, I can't imagine somebody being so dishonest that they would buy their finds, coins, jewlrey and who knows what is next, just to rack up points and gain merit. From what I understand this has happened at a couple of clubs that this individual belongs to. Suddle hints have been given out but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I know that we can't let it continue, it is not fair to all the other club members that enjoy the hoby and work hard to bring their finds every month. If you club has had this problem before or if you have any suggestions on how to deal with this problem please give us your imput.

thanks, and happy detecting to all,

Darla :)

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Darla,
I would think there is not alot you can do about this type of personality.
"If" you can catch him somehow purchasing the items by asking a store owner if he bought these items there, then you could have a public vote at your club and basically kick him out of it.
If he buys on ebay, and you can find out his screen name (casual conversation should accomplish this), you can do a search on there to see exactly what he has bought off of ebay. It's very easy to do and you can do it for anyone if you know their ebay name.
Here's how Go to "search" at the top of the main page. Click this. When you get to the next page click on "by bidder". Type in his screen name, select "Include completed items? - Yes, and "No, only if high bidder".
All the items he purchased off of ebay will be right there before your eyes to print out and bring to your next club meeting. He'll be looking like this guy when confronted with the results of your search roll .
On the other hand if he is generally a nice guy other than this and you just want to expose him, but keep him in the club, you can ask your club president to address the idea that this is an "honor system" thing and that it has been noted by more than a few in your club that the finds appear "suspicious" or questionable for certain folks in the club. Don't mention any names and if questioned about it, stick to the "not naming names" game. If he is insulted and throws a fit, it will be obvious, and he will probably have to quit to "save face", like he didn't do it, but was highly offended by the insinuation. Hope these suggestions help. It's really sad when someone "needs" something as minor as this to validate their existence in the eyes of others. Competition can be ugly when people get wrapped up in it. I have had a similar problem in my club with a guy who always railroads over what others judge to be the "best find". It can be judged best find by all of us and he will say that since it is not "silver or gold", but costume jewelry, then it is not the best find and he will award the best find to one of his buddies who also has been in the club with him for a longer time than the "new" member who found the nicer item.
It's all personalities and with clubs, you are always going to run into folks who don't get along. Steer clear of the folks who rub you the wrong way and hang with those who treat you like a real person. Those other folks usually have serious character flaws you will never be able to do anything about anyway, and they usually move on when the going gets too hot to handle. 8)

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Maybe this person should have an "accident"...?

Just kidding... :twisted:

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is it that tipped you off? If you have solid evidence you can support a case against this member. Unfortunately, if you can't support a valid case, your club may have to announce that since suspicious incidents seem to be swaying the outcome of your contests, that all such contests will be temporarily (or even permanently) discontinued. Nobody likes to see this happen, but nobody should have to tolerate cheating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread