Gravel Parking Lot

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
OK, found a 100 year old building , was a school house, then a church, now antique store which is closing. The ground surrounding the main building has a gravel surface. Sadly, very little exposed ground but some grassy strips near perimeter of property. My question is concerning the gravel covered areas. They used small, gray colored stone gravel which has probably been there for at least 20 years, Pretty hard packed but from what I saw tonite (it was dark) it may not be deep.

Can I detect this area and actually get signals? Is the potential mineral content of the gravel an issue. I have no idea at this time how far I would have to dig down to get to dirt.

Any one have experience detecting an old gravel parking lot?

Optic

Upvote 0

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kind of stones you've described sounds a lot like the gravel used for the loose, top layering of new asphalt streets and parking lots. It's used to protect the asphalt from setting up too fast from the sunshing. Sometimes, that gravel is used to overcoat a graveled parking lot to fill in the potholes with its small size.

The one sure way to check that gravel for "hotrock" status is to get some and scan it, or scan an area with your detector. I don't think it will be a problem.

If you decide to detect the spot, you'll need a small pick/ax to chip through the hardpack. It won't take a bunch of full armed swings to do it. Just use small swings, as you would hammer brads with a Carpenter's hammer. Chip around the target area, not directly ON the target. Then, scoop out the debris.
It'll take more time, but is definitely doable.

Good luck and good hunting. :thumbsup:

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you use a pick axe make sure you protect your eyes.

I've detected stone lots before and after digging a few I end up just taking the shallow targets.

Also imagine where the people park their cars. As they approach their car to get in at what point do you think they get into their pockets to get out their keys and search those areas.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed that you're in Maryland. During the winter, was the snow in that lot ever scrapped out to the sides; into those grass strips? Wellllll........there you go; for starters. ;D

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like your typical limestone...shouldn't affect your detector at all.

I've detected a parking lot...didn't know it was one until I dug down a few inches in a lawn area and discovered it underneith. Then I started finding coins in the gravel layer.

Turns out what had been the parking area became a grassy area for a shelter and the parking area was moved. Pays to do a little research. :thumbsup:

But...be prepared for some beat up looking coins. Most of the ones I found were badly scratched from the gravel.

Al

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
The pennies I've found in crushed limestone gravel are usually pretty deteriorated. I figure it's from the lime acting on them; does that sound reasonable?

HH,
Relic

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
You will not have any problem finding coins . Problem is digging . Gravel packs hard . past a couple of inches digging will be tough !!!!!!!!!! ???

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't take much to eat a zinc coin...yea, limestone will eat at it...and aluminum...but probably not enough to make the pull tabs disappear. At least not in our lifetime.

Al

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I guess I would try it... but probably only dig the quarter signals.... which would be either quarters or silver... gravel sux to dig in... just my opinion

Randy

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love gravel and dirt parking lots. My first gold diamond ring came from one. You can do well in one, especially a bar parking lot. The larger the better. You may not be able to dig all the signals, but even if you are limited to a couple of inches, it is worth it. I never pass up the easy pickings a little competition of a parking lot.

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
Born2Dtect said:
I love gravel and dirt parking lots.

I think that, in the interest of conserving petroleum resources, paving parking lots should be illegal. Think of all that additional acreage available to hunt!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Relic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread