Question about cleaning with electolysis

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
I made a simple electolysis sytem like this one: http://www.mycoincollecting.com/collecting/cleaning-coins-electrolysis.html

It seemed like it was working. There was bubbling on the item being cleaned (an old lock). I left it alone for about an hour and when I returned.........no bubbling. The item was not cleaned. I attached another item and there was no bubbling on that one either. I confirmed the power source. What could be the problem. The container is a 12x9 plastic container. Any info would be great. Thanks.

J

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ray gives a good answer so far. My experience with this method is you have to stop after a certain amount of time, like ....... it can't go beyond a certain amount of corrosion coming to the surface, without first cleaning that crud off, and "starting over". Also the contact points, as Roy says, have to be re-cleaned, even though they may appear clean, the process of this method seems to disolve the contact points themselves, to the point where you need to stop it all, break off the end of the disolved stainless steel spoon (which will disolve to the touch, it seems) and start over. Seems like a big chore, but consider that: 1) stainless steel spoons and forks 2) salt water, 3) electricity from the A/C adapter & outlet, are bascially free :) You will occasionlly also need to trim back the insulator plastic from the wire leading to the various aligator clamps and re-start, since they too will get corroded in the salt water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread