Which Minelab?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
from what I've read the only difference between the pro and the etrac, is the etrac has a usb port to be able to download programs from your computer, rather than input manually

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well Sniff that's not exactly accurate. Minelab has reprogrammed the machine and it works quite a bit different from an SE. One of the things I think I would like would be having the smart find screen and the digital screen all in one like with the E-Trac. Lost Treasure did a field test on the machines and they stated that the E-trac is NOT an SE in a new wrapper...

Which makes my decision even more difficult. :-\

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I didn't realize that ME, I watched TC use his and he explained a little about the smart find screen.
if it's that much of an upgrade I can understand your dilemma.
good luck and let me know what happens

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comparing the two machines is like comparing apples and radiators. There are sooo many differences it would take a book to illustrate them. There is one that does that. IMO the significant differences noticeable to a new user is the ET can almost be a turn on and go hunt. Then when you want to get more sophisticated and increase chances of deeper goodies in iron infested areas, dial it in with some of the suggestions on the forums. The SE Pro and the ET comes 'standard' with the new 10.5 coil that is a must have. If you get a used machine with the old 'standard' coil, you might as well take it off and trash it. Then you have to get somebodies coil to attach. Lots of good ones made by ML and other folks that work. The original, if you cut off the cord, makes a reasonable paper weight. However, if you are thinking ML and SE or ET, you will be so far ahead to get Andy Sabich's new book on the Explorer series and the ET. It is 188 pages packed with detailed explanations, drawings, and information collected from master detectors all over the world. It cover both machines and explains the differences with zero bias expressed between one machine or the other. If you bought this book next week and studied it (not just read it), by the time your purchase date arrives in January, you will know what to get and how to operate it. You can make a decision based on your research knowedge rather than opinion. Regards...Jim

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Jim

I was trying to get exactly that, People's opinions. I know the author of that book is an authority in the field of detecting but what I am after is the opinion of everyday people that use the machines and what they like or do not like about them.

I have already ordered the book and I will be reading it and studying it before I make a purchase. To me a $1500.00 purchase is a MAJOR deal and I would NEVER spend that much without doing some research first.

I do appreciate your feedback on this though.

Walter is Hilarious!

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walter is my hero! My wife thinks Jeff Dunham modeled Walter after seeing a picture of me on a wanted poster. :icon_profileright: Jim

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey ME, your still doing good finds with the good old Explorer so why trade it in? I do good finds with mine also. :thumbsup:

I see no reason quite yet, you know that machine well it seems so why change? :thumbsup:

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Well....since you asked.....get a GT. It's not on your list; but you won't have to be an astrophysicist to use it. No computer program; no fiddling with the settings....just get out and DETECT. ;D

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Tabfinder said:
Well....since you asked.....get a GT. It's not on your list; but you won't have to be an astrophysicist to use it. No computer program; no fiddling with the settings....just get out and DETECT. ;D
. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:..Tabfinder ......Is right on there..........

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would just keep the Explorer II. the SE is essentially the same thing with minor differences. while i haven't had a chance to see the E-Track in action, i kinda bet its not that much better than the explorer series detectors. just my 2 cents. :wink:

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
OK to answer a few questions as to why.

I have NEVER owned a brand new detector. I want one. I work hard and I think since I work hard and can save the money I should get one. I know it is not a NEED but a want but if I can make the money and use it to buy a BRAND NEW one why not?

It's just like people who buy new cars every two years. They don't need a new car they just want one.

I was just trying to figure out if the E-trac was that much better than an SE Pro.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ME, I think if I where you I'd ask the UK guys, they have some tough conditions (some of 'em anyways) and should be able to answer that question way better then me. :thumbsup:

Ever heard of minelabowners forum? Try and ask that there, many there are way better qualified to answer that there then me. :wink:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
mastereagle22 said:

I have NEVER owned a brand new detector. I want one. I work hard and I think since I work hard and can save the money I should get one. I know it is not a NEED but a want but if I can make the money and use it to buy a BRAND NEW one why not?

It's just like people who buy new cars every two years. They don't need a new car they just want one.

I was just trying to figure out if the E-trac was that much better than an SE Pro.

ahhhh thats a bit different. hell why not splurge on the new E-Track if thats what its all about! :wink: thats the new flagship machine for minelab. if your going to get a new machine to treat yourself, why not do it up right! ;D

NHDUG

Nov 24, 2008
Mid southern NH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS,Minelab Excaliber 800, Ace 250, Minelab X-Terra 70, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
If Money was not an issue, and I already had an Explorer II, I would definitely buy an E-trac. Buying a SE Pro is no diff. then the II except for the New SE Pro 11" coil(not 10.5 Walter >:( ) Just to see if it can read right thru iron patches like they say it can......cause that's is where the leftovers are in this well detected land of parks and cellar holes. I actually voted to keep the Ex. II but if money is not an issue...go for the E-Trac. Learn it and forget about the Explorer while using it....cause it works differently....from what I read.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
go for the gold with the all new and improved E-Trac you won't regret it.
sounds like a commercial, doesn't it ?

get what you want ME, and have a ball

Sniffer

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mastereagle22 said:

ME,

Back in October I went on a club hunt. Many of us had Explorers. One guy had a brand new Etrac. He had _some_ experience in the field, but not a huge amount, and almost none with his new Etrac.

IMO, the quality of his finds exceeded everyone elses over the 3 day hunt. He dug silver in an area many of us had already hunted. He dug old copper in an area where no one else found much of anything. Call it luck or give the Etrac credit... or both... :wink:

DCMatt

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey ME,
I bought a brand new Quattro last year. I've heard so many people bad mouth Qs, it had me wondering if I had been a little slow when I decided. I have added a 5" coil, and now a new procoil. My finds, especially silver, jumped dramatically as I learned to use it.

So, for what it is worth I think you obviously are not a novice hunter. Other than your choice in hunting partners, you know what you are doing. I think you would make an E-Trac just sing! If you are going to go for the gusto and get a new machine for the difference in cost from what I've seen the E-trac would make you a happy camper. Don't quote me on this, but I think you could actually program and save a "zipperpull" program!

But, most important, you would drive GG absolutely nuts!

Good Luck,
mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread