Fisher 1266 or Whites Mxt for relics???

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I've used both.

I say MXT if you need a metered machine. However, as a former White's dealer, I never like the way the MXT sounded (actually made shivers run up my spine/put my teeth on edge) although it did a good job finding the relics.

The 1266 was ok, I felt it liked iron alot more than I wanted it too.

The Nautilus DMC IIb is also a good choice for your area. I dig plenty of everything with it. It is a heavy monster though unless you modify it.

All my opinion of course.

Burt

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT, hands down.
I have been a fan of the 1266-X since way back. It is a fine detector, and I like it. But it is basic stuff.

I prefer the techno-wizardry of the MXT. There is just so much more going on with, in a simple to use package, that it is the hands down winner in my book.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir the MXT is a nice choice and very easy to learn just turn a knob flick a switch and start hunting . I have been doing this for over 30 years and if i need a dictionary to use a detector they can keep it.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
littletwig and jim--have you used both machines?

I've used the XLT and the 1266--and still sold on the Fisher. I will give anybody a run for their money with it against any machine any day of the week.

:wink:

I don't think of the 1266 as "basic stuff" at all. And in terms of the beep dig machines, it was probably the most advanced non-meter machine on the market. In terms of electronics, perhaps. In terms of nuance--not so. I would be more than happy to demonstrate to anyone by using it to not only ID an item, but also judge depth and size of the item. That's what you get if you stick with one machine for close to 17 years.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've used the XLT and the 1266--and still sold on the Fisher. I will give anybody a run for their money with it against any machine any day of the week.

:wink:

I don't think of the 1266 as "basic stuff" at all. And in terms of the beep dig machines, it was probably the most advanced non-meter machine on the market. In terms of electronics, perhaps. In terms of nuance--not so. I would be more than happy to demonstrate to anyone by using it to not only ID an item, but also judge depth and size of the item. That's what you get if you stick with one machine for close to 17 years.

Regards,

Buckleboy
[/quote

I have owned and used many detectors.The one i actually found most of my relics with was the Tesoro Silver Sabre that had the white loop.The reason was no buttons to push just adjust for the ground and dig most everything.
Unfortunatly it wore out and that's when i started trying other things.My major problem in the past is with raising 5 kids and in constuction, times can get hard and you start looking for things to sell to put food on the table.I have done this with my machines and other hobby items,but I am at a time now that my hobbies need to be narrowed down to just what i can handle and enjoy it.
So when i get my Christmas bonus this year,if i get one :-\ I am buying a machine to keep and sticking with it.I like the analog settings and pretty sure it will be the MXT or the 1266X.I hear great reviews of the MXT and have always known that the 1266X is a great depth machine.Now all i have to do is keep my nose in the research and start mapping out the places to hit,once the beepers back in my hand.

Thanks Everyone for there thoughts and always welcome any advice on these machines.
Nova Treasure

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I never said the Fisher was a basic detector i was just saying that the MXT was a turn and go detector to me the MXT is a basic detector. I had one but went back to minelab and garrett never used the 1266 that is why i never said any thing about it. From what i hear the 1266 is a good detector. ==Jim_K==

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim_K said:
I never said the Fisher was a basic detector i was just saying that the MXT was a turn and go detector to me the MXT is a basic detector. I had one but went back to minelab and garrett never used the 1266 that is why i never said any thing about it. From what i hear the 1266 is a good detector. ==Jim_K==

Jim, I was replying to Dahut--as you'll see above.

I guess neither one of us should've replied to this thread, since neither of us have used both machines... :-\

Nova,

If you liked the silver sabre, send it to Tesoro! They'll fix it for FREE.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
BuckleBoy said:
Jim_K said:

Jim, I was replying to Dahut--as you'll see above.

I guess neither one of us should've replied to this thread, since neither of us have used both machines... :-\

Nova,

Best Wishes,

Buckles
I was bidding on a silver saber Umax on Ebay tonight but did not get it went to sleep and missed the end of the bid.......................................................==Jim_K==

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nova,

Best Wishes,

Buckles
[/quote]

Oh,I wish i still had it.I let my cousin have it when he was wanting to get into hunting :tard:.I had replaced it with a Xlt but it's part of the rest of the story.
I will be hunting again after the first of the year,I can always borrow a freinds xlt if i want to.
I got too much money tied up in these old cars,need to break some of it off,like that old half dollar ;D.
Nova Treasure

Nova Treasure

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
nova treasure said:
Nova,

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Oh,I wish i still had it.I let my cousin have it when he was wanting to get into hunting :tard:.I had replaced it with a Xlt but it's part of the rest of the story.
I will be hunting again after the first of the year,I can always borrow a freinds xlt if i want to.
I got too much money tied up in these old cars,need to break some of it off,like that old half dollar ;D.
Nova Treasure

Nova Treasure
[/quote]

You speak of old cars,are you selling some of them?What are they?
I have both machines and have enjoyed the XLT here as of lately.The 1266 is a good machine ,I like how it pinpoints and finds small objects deep.Get a Fisher if you can borrow an XLT any time.

HB

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey HB,I am hoping i don't have to sell my car? It is actually in project Stage right now.I have started from a empty shell and working toward resto/mod. If you like old cars and might be interested in what i am building,i'll send pm's about what i am doing to it .

Nova Treasure

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
nova treasure said:
Hey HB,I am hoping i don't have to sell my car? It is actually in project Stage right now.I have started from a empty shell and working toward resto/mod. If you like old cars and might be interested in what i am building,i'll send pm's about what i am doing to it .

Nova Treasure

Let me guess,you have a Nova project.I used to have one and wish I still did.Go ahead and send me a PM on what your doing.I have done quite a few restos.Currently trying to finish a 74 Bronco.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the topic...

I have had the pleasure of using both. I owned a 1266-X for years and have used the MXT. I no longer have the 1266-X, but I do own a 1236-X2 to this day. That is the sort of impression the older Fisher left on me. I simply could not be without something from that line. Make no mistake, I like the 1266-X

I'm not certain the MXT is going to be deeper than the 1266-X, since I have never done a side-by-side comparison. Until that happens, I reserve judgment on simple depth comparisons. I suspect they are at least in the same league, with raw depth ability possibly going to the Fisher. However, I stick by my contention that the MXT has more going on - which makes it a better relic detector.

Unlike the analog 1266-X, the MXT is all software. It is essentially a gold detector with programming changes which makes it suitable for other functions. It is simple to use by design, but there is nothing simple about it.

It has a twice higher frequency than the 1266-X, for starters. At 13.889khz, it is right at that frequency considered by most experts as optimum for a single freq VLF unit. Still a good frequency for coins, it also enhances response to lower conductivity targets… just the sort of thing you want when looking for brass, lead and pewter items.

It gives a nice two–tone audio when searching in the relic mode, too, which makes it more like an enhanced beep-dig model in that regard. Iron can be segregated and made to grunt out in a low tone with the MXT system.
After all, relic hunting is much like beach hunting. You’re going to dig it all, for the most part. I prefer to know the iron is there, as opposed to discriminating it out with pops and clicks, as on the 1266-X. Both work for ID'ing iron, but the dual tones are a nice bonus out in the relic field

It also offers an excellent ground tracking system, due to its gold field lineage. Much development went into the MXT's ground tracking system. It is said to be an entirely new process engine for the task and works fast, while remaining stable. In fact, the ground tracking settings are built into the discrimination logic.
This is something the 1266-X cannot touch. I suspect the 1266-X, with its fixed ground balance, made a name for itself as a sought after relic machine for one main reason:

“Relic hunting” invariably means Civil War relic hunting. And that is done, by and large, in the South. Below the Mason Dixon line, the soil mineralization is usually quite mild. There are a few places where the red clay can be harsh, but that is the exception. Most detectors work quite well over Southern soils, including the 1266-X.

Once away from the relic fields, the MXT is a nice, all around detector. That can be said for the 1266-X, too. But the MXT is a dandy coinshooter AND an excellent prospecting unit. The latter cannot be said of the Fisher.

They are both good and again, I like them both. I wouldn’t fault a person for having either. But the 1266-X is falling behind. After all, Fisher saw fit to improve on it with the 1270 for some reason.

The MXT is one of those times where advances in technology work in your favor. Don’t sell it short, just because it isn’t “old school.”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread