Snakes

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K., I will be doing some hunting near Fredricksburg, VA this June and have to admit that all this talk of snakes in the other post has kind of freaked me out. I used to go to my relatives house and wander out the back of their yard into the forest with no thoughts of snakes, but now you all have gotten me wondering about Copperheads and Water Moccasins.
Is VA a place that is known for these snakes and if so, what do you do if you get bit by one of these? I know what to do for a west coast rattlesnake, but I am not sure what to do for one of these snakes. Is there anti-venin, how much time do you have to make it to a hospital, etc. I don't want to be paranoid, just prepared if I run across such a snake.
Besides this I am looking forward to it. 8)

Upvote 0

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
I'm not going to give advice on first aid... I'm sure you know the best thing is to avoid the snakes, and to be able to identify them. Virginia isn't really a bad place for snakes. Rattlesnakes are fairly dangerous, but adults almost always survive their bites, the best thing about them is that they usually give warning. Cottonmouths/Water Moccasins are next in danger, but they mostly stick to water. Copperheads are extremely hard to see, but not really all that dangerous to an adult. I doubt if there are any rattlers in Fredricksburg, since they very uncommon even in the mountains.

Just don't put your hands on ledges or under rocks where you can't see!

Good luck! I want to see some pictures of Civil War stuff!!

This website may help:
gorp.away.com/gorp/health/snakefaq.htm

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in the Fredericksburg area. Copperheads are in this area and have a heck of a bite. My wife's co-worker was bit while clearing brush at her house in Spotsylvania County. She spent 3 weeks in the hospital. My neighbor here in Stafford County killed one in his back yard 3 years ago. If it is any consulation, I have never seen one around here during my many relic hunts....Yet There are not great numbers of them. Just keep your eyes open, They blend in

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys! Hope to find some really nice stuff, but anything would be cool to me. Last time out I found a minnie ball and a round lead ball, about 50 cal (don't know the name of these) plus some old blacksmith shop stuff in a clearing where they had mowed down all the trees. It's probably a mini mall by now!
I'll keep my eyes out. That's one good thing about detecting, most of the time you have your eyes on the ground already! 8)

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heading there this friday. Going to a spot that hopefully is inacessible to most. Also looking forward to digging up a tent hole behind my in-laws house that I noticed a year or two ago. Hopefully this is what it is and not just an old junk pile. I was at some other tent holes that were dug down 4-5 feet, so this is how I recognized that this is what this one might be. Doesn't appear anyone has even touched it yet (at least, not last time I was there). Should be fun. :o 8)

T

TimeDog

Snakes :o One day I was out detecting around the house and a woman from next door came yelling so I took of my headphone and she said there was a snake in her living room well I went over to her place with only bringing my digger in my hand and sure enough there was a little fellow about 2 and half foot long, well he looked at me and he started running along the floor heading for a bedroom so I took my digger and hit him with it (still in my hand) and in the end he was only cut 2/3rds cut through however after I took him outside, he soon died, however I guess I have to keep my digger a bit sharper ;)

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
I would not worry to much.... Think about this snakes are on the ground your concentration when detecting is where? on the ground. your coil is out in front of you and it will come in contact with that reptile before you..... The real problem is when you get a good hit under that snake and he won't move. Then what.

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Actually, my father got bitten by a rattlesnake the other day, not while MDing... He went to the hospital and they did some tests and gave him anti-inflammatory and pain medicine. They also wanted to keep him overnight for observation. He went home after a few hours instead. He went back the next day for some more blood tests and medicine. After that he returned home to rest. He said it hurt like hell for the first few hours, and that his hand is twice the normal size. Other than that, not that big of a deal.

OP
OP
coinshooter

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm back and should have entitled this BUGS! instead of SNAKES. Man o man, I am SOOOOO glad I don't live back in those humid climates. I have a new found respect for anyone who tries to do any hunting this time of year back in Virginia or any other states with humidity and lots of bugs. It seems like everything that flies or crawls out there is trying to eat you! I found that the bug spray was pretty good though.
I didn't do to well as a result of the humidity and all of the overgrowth which wasn't there before when I visited in the fall. Just found some square nails and a door lock plate. Too bad, I was really looking forward to finding all of that unsearched treasure. I still have a good feeling about the place I went, but at this point don't know if I will ever really get back there again :(

C

cs1969

1. Wear high leather boots if possible, the harder the leather the better. Or even rubber boots.
2. Don't put your hands where you can't see things.
3. Walk slowly and carefully. If you hear a rattler, freeze until you find it. Then back away slowly. If you can't find it, use a stick to move brush/grass behind you while you reverse your direction. Move carefully.
4. Don't panic. Increasing heart rate will increase circulation of the venom.
5. Yes there are anti-venom's for the various snakes. A small country hospital may not have them.

Good advice: carry a walking stick with a 6"-8" long flat end on the dirt end, kind of like an upside-down cane. The flat end can be used to hold down the snake if you find it and it's bitten you. If it hasn't bitten you, don't scare it, just walk away slowly.

If you get bit:
- Put a tourniquet between the bite and the heart. This usually means on the leg. Tie it tight, but don't cut off circulation completely. It will hurt but you will survive.
- Get to a phone fast and call 911. The less you walk the less venom will get to your body.
- Cutting and sucking out the venom really has no effect, studies have shown. It just leads to a higher infection rate.
- After calling 911, lay down, rest, and put ice on the area if possible to slow down circulation.

That's all I can think of.

W

W4UVV

You will not see any rattlesnakes in the non-mountainous areas of the state which includes Fredericksburg. The northernmost habitat of the water moccasin is Colonial Heights/Petersburg. However to the south and east it can be found in waterways, lakes, ponds, etc. Your snake problem, if any, will be copperheads. They are found all over the state. If bitten and medical attention is not sought immediately, you might die. It depends on the person. A friend's wife was bitten by one two years ago and her leg swelled almost twice its size and she spent a week in the hospital. If you do get bitten, try to make the wound bleed and visually id the snake if possible. Get to a hospital ER ASAP or call 911. Be advised that more cities and counties in Va. now charge for 911 ambulance calls typically in the $300-$400 range.

You do know about the deadly brown recluse spider and black widow spiders don't you. They are all over the state. If bitten you flesh will literally rot. Also, plan on taking some ticks home with you after being outside. You don't have to be in the woods to get a tick to latch on. If it is not removed carefully immediately you can get lyme disease. Usually the ticks that have a white mark on their back carry lyme disease. However you most dangerous experience probably will be driving or riding on I95 at Fredericksburg.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Yall are lucky this year I have stepped on two copper heads and on rattle snake. All I can say is thank God for the invention of snake leggins. Even though only one of the snakes actualy struck me. I would invest in snake leggins even if you do watch you might miss one, and leggins also save you shins from thorns cactus needles and other pointy things.

W

W4UVV

We don't have much cactus in Virginia. However a neighbor a few miles away did plant some. If some around here asked for snake leggings the person asked would have no idea what they were asking about.
The next best thing probably is a heavy high topped leather boot.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
I think you can order them from cabelas or bps. and hey if you use them once they were worth it.

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
Speaking of Fredricksburg, Va. I'm a retired engineer from General Motors ( Delco Chassis in Dayton, Oh.) back when my division was named Delco Moraine we had a plant in Fredricksburg everytime they wanted to do any ground work they had to call the Daughters of the Confederacy or some other group out to go through all the dirt that they had dug prior to its removal. Someday if you get the chance go into the lobby of the plant (I think its still there) and look at all the Civil War items they've found on the property. From what I understand they are still finding bodies as well, quite a place. HH Bob.B

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Snakes--a joke...

This reminds me of a good joke I will adjust to a metal detecting joke from what was a golf joke. Two buddies are out metal detecting and one gets bitten by a rattlesnake right on the end of his johnson as he's taking a piss. The other buddy, not knowing what to do, runs to a nearby doctor's office (conveniently located for the joke) and says, "Doctor, my friend was just bitten by a rattlesnake, what do I do." The doctor says, "Quick, you have to cut the area of the bite and suck out the venom." The friend goes running back to his buddy and says, "Sorry, the doctor said there's nothing we can do and you are going to die."

searcher

Oct 4, 2004
Hill Country TEXAS
Detector(s) used
White's. Old, yellow but still waterproof!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i do most of my mding in central texas. if it is alive it will bite, scratch, sting, poke, poison, or otherwise make ya uncomfortable. i've resorted to wearing high boots, leggings, long sleeve denim shirt, gloves, and a pistol. if i'm able, i take a dog. (good early warning) wild hogs like to run ya up trees, sit down on the ground and laugh at ya while sharpening their teeth and foaming at the mouth. fun stuff. coming across a partially buried mountain lion kill is also thrilling.
powdered sulfur is the key for chiggers, fleas and ticks. put it in an old sock and dust it on liberally.
the only thing that works on ground hornets is running FAST! most flying insects don't like garlic. garlic oil works best(ya wont have to worry about vampires either) and your mding buddy can find ya really easy, even up wind.

does anyone know about old rimfire cavalry ammo? there is no primer but the pin strike is in the middle.
looks about the size of a 45-70.
HH searcher

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
hey searcher where abouts in central texas are you? Im in Lampasas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread