Permission Letter: Need some suggestions

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
There are a few vacant lots that I'm wanting to detect on. I found out who owns the lots and I've drafted a letter to them asking them for permission to hunt in return for me cutting the grass, picking up trash, etc.

Can you read the letter and make any suggestions on changes?

THE LETTER
Dear Sir or Madam,

I understand that your company owns several vacant lots along XXXXXXX Street in Pensacola. At ZERO cost to you, would you be interested in having these lots maintained (i.e. grass/weeds mowed, trash/debris pick-up, etc.)?

I am trying to find places to take my young son metal detecting in our area with the potential of finding some nostalgic items. If you are interested in my proposal, I would be happy to enter into any verbal or written agreement giving me the responsibility of maintaining these lots in return for the privilege to metal detect on these properties. Any agreement we make can be nullified at your discretion. By profession, I’m a Systems Engineer working for a defense contractor at XXXXXX. Therefore, lot maintenance and any metal detecting would only be performed for a few hours on a weekend day.

Any holes that may be dug would be with respect to any vegetation that is present. All plugs of sod will be properly replaced when filling the small holes and the lots will always be returned to their proper state before we leave. In addition to the clean-up of these lots, any hazardous debris (such as glass, rusty iron, lead, etc) uncovered during our metal detecting will also be properly disposed of. As you may or may not know, this area was historically utilized as a primitive landfill before residential expansion began in this area during the 1920’s and 1930’s.

I’m a 6th generation Pensacolian and I am deeply rooted in our historic heritage and preservation of its relics. There are many items that I have found over the years, which are now displayed at the XXXXX Museum as well as the YYYYY Museum. Any finds of historic nature that I do recover will be discretely donated to these museums or can be donated in your name if you prefer.

I am particularly interested in metal detecting the lot located at the corner of XXXX St. and YYYY St.

You may contact me at my home, cell phone, or work phone (listed below) at your convenience.

Your consideration and response are greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,

XXXX YYYY

So there it is; truthfull but maybe a little wordy. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Pcola

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
SHERM,

The example letter you referred me to is certainly perfect for contacting a private owner and I will certainly retain it for future use. I felt that a more 'official' approach was needed in this current case because the owner of the lots in question is a large real estate investment corporation. I have a feeling that a single letter isn't even going to get anyone's attention so I'll probably have to follow-up with a visit to their office as well :icon_scratch:.

In either case, thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my post!!! :thumbsup:

Pcola

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exactly who at the large real estate investment corporation will give you a look, or a second look. i think your going to be blown off, there is a simple way to hunt these properties......i look for these properties, and then look for signs, if it smells right, good exit strategy, out of the open....and if it's all cool, they would already be hunted.....next.....then next....

this doesn't always work....and it may not be correct....but i wasn't ever there anyway..right!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
jorge, I was thinking along the same lines.

There are blighted old-town vacant lots in our "chinatown" district of my city. We're talking lots where the old saloons, brothels, markets, etc... have been long gone. Burned down, demo'd out, etc... since the 1950s and 60s. Currently they are just blighted litter strewn lots, with short-cut trails going through them. Winos sitting on milk-crates waiting for the mission soup-kitchen to open for the next meal, etc.... We just help ourselves and detected these. It never occured to me than that they were anything more than vacant lots.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would make it clear that a time limit is negotiated for maintaining the lots. Just a thought.

Burdie

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, you have to use common sense, if there might be a slight hint of a problem don't do it. one time i hunted a vacant lot, everything was cool except i was right across from a apartment managers office, i forgot how inflated a apartment managers ego is at times, i had to beat feet........no harm done, i just won't return.

you mentioned a kid or child with you, it also may not work well if they are present doing it my way....places like these might be best solo, or as you suggested through your Permission Letter, but remember you may work hard just for no finds.....i just can't see the large real estate investment corporation giving you a OK because liability

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Pcola Boy, Hello. skypilot02 here. I may be wrong, (I'm wrong a lot!! LOL!!) but my guess is that you want to do this with your child, and without him it just wouldn't be worth it. That's how I'd feel about it. That said, I would make sure to point out to the folks who own the property, that they would in no way be liable for any misfortune that may occur to you or yours, (Good Lord forbid!) on their land. If that isn't crystal clear to the owners, I think you may be shooting yourself in the foot. Great advise, Burdie! Maybe take care of it till you notify them you won't be coming back, because you need an "escape clause" as much as they do! Other than to add the obvious, it's easier to say "no" in a letter than face to face, your proposal sounds great!!! Great hunting and good luck!!! Hope you and your son get in and find many treasures, along with the time you spend together!!! Regards, Richard.

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have drafted and sent out about a dozen permission letters. Never even got a reply, even with a SASE enclosed. Phone calls work better but who do you call? A personal face-to-face with the person on the property works best but they may not own it.

So now I just do my poking around. No one has asked what I was doing and no one cared. I fill my holes and carry trash out so there is nothing to get concerned about.

Property owners are reluctant to give written detecting permission because of liability issues. Can't blame 'em. If you get hurt on their land they are not responsible if they aren't aware of it. Go. Do it. Apologize if necessary. Have fun.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
PcolaBoy, BuffaloBob has had the same experience I have it seems. If I can look a person in the eye, 11 out of 12 will give permission, but the one that doesn't usually is nice about it. One out of 50 will tell me just how dumb I am for even asking. On the phone odds drop to about 8 out of 12, and in the mail: 100 percent failure! The reason is simply that corporations have outer defences in place to deal with the "small things", and more than likely, your hopes will rest with a person who's most important task is opening mail all day and happens to have a trash can nearby. I admire you for trying to go about this the proper way, that is the way we all should be, chips fall where they may. However, I take it the company who owns this land is not in Pensacola, or you would address them face to face. If you can get a company number, by all means call it and find out what extention you get (but then hang up.); then, say for instance the number is 555-2361 ext107, simply dial 555-2361 extension207 and MOST of the time, you will have penetrated the outer line, so to speak. Then tell whoever answers that you are wanting to inquire about the property, (very slim to none you'll get the right person on the first try), they'll say "Oh, you gotta talk to Ms. Jones about that!" in which case you reply, " I must have reached the wrong ext.!" Would you mind putting me on the right one, please? And Viola, you have gotten to the ear that needs to hear you and you can plead your case to the "yes" person! You may have to dial a few experimental ext. numbers, but it usually works! Personally, if the place is dilapidated and run down, no "keep out" signs and such, even though I might feel guilty, I'd do it. Obviously, I wouldn't if I were told "NO", but it IS easier to ask forgiveness than permission in a case like that. I gotta go with Bill on this one. Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
Remember, some corporations DO NOT want anyone to find anything of historical importance. Out here in California, there are designated Native Americans that watch the construction companies just to make sure they are on the up and up. There would be no need for them " if " the corporations would do the right thing... In a perfect world ... LOL

PLL

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey pegleglooker, that's why old-town urban demolition sites (where some archie-monitors might be required to be present) are hunted after 5pm. Believe me, those inspectors cut out at 5pm, just like the workers :) A friend of mine owns a demolition company, so he can hunt any cotton-picken site of his that he wants. On one of their projects, the general contractor who had hired my friends demo. company, had also been required by the city to have an archie on site (or at least make a few checks to satisfy an EIR or something). This archie just *happened* to see my friend stopping to bottle hunt and detect, and tried to give my friend grief. Mind you, this was my friend's own job site! So we just made things simple, and came back after 5pm. Problem solved :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread