Anyone use a kayak?

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Just wondering if anyone else besides me uses a kayak to get to where they want to go water detecting? I have a few places scouted out including a popular swimming snadbar, an old schooner yard, a boat launch, a boardwalk that goes into the ocean hundreds of feet and some of it got destroyed in a hurricane, and the pond right in front of my vacation house. Almost all these places are inaccesible by swimming or walking, most require a kayak or some other type of boat...Does anyone have any type of setup for sifter/scoop/kayak/anchor or w/e? I am working on a floating sifter that i will tow behind my kayak and also a homemade scoop and stuff. When i get to the place i wana detect in the water i just throw a small anchor in the water and unstrap my detector from the kayak and get to work. With my floating sifter attached to my kayak it wont float away on me while i detect. I only have a day or two left to make the rest of the stuff and get my gear together cause i leave in a day or two and ill be staying almost a week then coming back for a few more days, hopefully ill find some great new stuff with the cobra beach magnet ;D I gotta watch out though, the current is strong and theres drop-offs, but the places i have in mind are only 2 feet deep at the max.

Upvote 0

TOWcritter

Hey Jake.
I have 3 kayaks. An inflatable which only weighs 34 lbs. Very small package. Fits on the back seat of the Dakota. Great for getting to those remote put-ins. A 32lb. plastic rec. kayak. Top rack of the Dakota. Great for day paddling. And my pride and joy. A Chesapeake Light Craft CH-16. All wood, built from scratch, lofted from plans, modified with a day hatch, built like a rock! Enough room for a weeks camping trip with tent, detector, food etc. I'm just looking for the right island in the bay to test the whole setup. Soon....very soon....

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Awesome! What do you bring for a detector? I didnt even try with my tracker4, but now that i have an underwater detector who cares if it gets wet! I will post my floating sifter and stuff that i will tow behind my kayak. Btw-i have "plungo" kayaks i think ::) I still have to find my anchor i have laying around somewhere...

TOWcritter

Yea, it's a "pungo". Big open cockpit, good, stable yak. Nice fishing platform. Up near me there are a group of yak fishermen who are crazy. They go out in the big water and catch 40 and 50 pound rockfish in their kayaks. They let the fish drag them around for a while and then 3 of them gang up on the fish and pull it in. Wild to watch. I use a Whites MXT. Not waterproof. I have water-tight hatches, but I would still put it in something else first. I just haven't figured out what!

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thats right pungo! Unfortunatly i have the smaller one with the not so big cockpit, but im outgrowing it and i think my parents might buy me a new one soon ;D I will most likely use one of my parents bigger pungos...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO JAKE: I use a 17' Foldboat. Takes perhaps 1/2 hr to assemble and disassemble but is toughter than a IRS officer, I doubt that you can cut through the hull with an axe.. It is set up fo two peple with an open cockpit, but can be closed in with a snap cover for rough water.

I use the GARRETT SEA Hunter.

Jose de La MaNCHA ( i TILT WINDMILLS )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread