land and water detector

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well if you are loking into an underwater detector that can be used on land I would look at the Excalibur by Minelab.
It has tone discrimination and is a VLF machine and as such it should do well on land if you can handle the weight. (there are shafts that can help, after market shafts)

Hope this helps,
Eu :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When you say you want one that can search at water, do you mean actually IN the water? As in snorkling, diving, or in any other way routinely submerging/dunking the machine? Because if you only meant beach detecting (but not actually wading out and submerging), then any land machine would work (assuming it's not one that "doesn't like" wet salt). There a lot of great land machines that also work well for casual beach hunting. The coil of all them is waterproof, if you were to wander in and out of the ebbing surf as it laps at your feet.

The Excaliber is expensive, and takes some getting used to. You can't swap coil sizes (as it is hard-wired). The long drawn out "booongggs" might drive you batty at first. It lacks the target-separation that you might want at some junky iron-ridden land sites, but yes, *could* be used on land.

But if you happen to like the characteristics, sounds, TID (screens/graphs, etc..) of various land machines, you are not prohibited from taking it to the beach (even the wet beach), as long as you don't intend to submerge the box. Heck, I've even taken various Whites and Garret coin/land machines to the beach in rip-roaring winter storm erosion times, where rain is hammering me, waves are hitting me full frontal, etc... I just wrapped the box in plastic real well before heading out. If you did a LOT of storm hunting, or deep wading, then yes, a fully waterproof machine is simpler. But for just casual beach hunting, you don't necessarily need a waterproof machine.

PS: by noting the exception in my first paragraph: "As long as it's one that doesn't like wet salt", that applies to certain land/coin machines like various 2-filters that don't do well in heavy minerals (but have great application for other things), and some cheapie machines that are just lame from the get-go. Most 4-filter machines & multi-frequency machines do just fine in minerals and salt.

PPS: If the beaches where you intend to hunt are gunpowder grey or black-ish, then you could be at a rare beach where the minerals are so bad, that only a pulse will cut it. I don't think that's applicable to anything on the gulf though. Your beaches, as I understand it, are nice white low-mineral beaches, so you don't need to limit yourself to a pulse with no ability to reject nails & iron. Of course there are other pros & cons to the pulse vs discriminator debate (size targets they can hone in on, depth, etc..), but just limiting the topic to ability to do a certain sand type or not, is all I'm addressing here :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally the Excal is the detector of choice for water and beach use and is managable if hip mounted. Water detectors are allways heavier because of the need to be waterproof and for tough conditions. As Tom said, the Excal is expensive however.

For land like parks and tot lots and some beach and water use maybe a Tesoro Tiger Shark would be more in line with your hunting. Coils can be changed, but not headphones. This is where true land detectors that can be hip mounted come into play. You can change coils and headphones with these. The Tiger Shark also has a saltwater mode and if your beaches aren't covered with black sand it will do fine.

Take Care,
Sandman

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always thought of the ..Minelab Excalibur and the Sovereign as almost a turn on and hunt detectors i run both....... Jim

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
titanicgirl I would recommend the Excalibur. You can pick one up used in the price range of $480 to $600. I tried several water machines before getting the Excal. I lost money buying and selling until I settled with a Minelab, which was the one everyone recommended from the start. (Just a side note, each person will recommend their favorite). The Excal is really easy to use.

The county where you and I live really doesn't allow metal detecting at the beaches and a big no no at the parks. There are a few that do but they have a designated spot and time frame. Most of us head south.

cobhunter

Greenie
Dec 14, 2008
If staying above 25 feet underwater (waterproof to 25 ft depth), then consider the White's Beach Hunter 300. Approx $800 new. Dual VLF frequencies and a nice big 12-inch coil. The three indicator lights (one ea. for iron, gold and coin) really make it a no-brainer.

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
I live in Pinellas county and have had no trouble detecting on the beach and city parks - just state parks are are not allowed. Clearwater beach - Howard park (beach only) - Craig park - Hudson beach - Green Key beach - Sunset beach
I don't know of any beaches that are off limits around here.
Bill

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinellas County is great on their rules, Pasco County is another game. NPR and Pasco Parks usually have a seperate sign with big capital letters with No Metal Detecting Allowed. The beaches in Pasco that allow detecting have strict time frames and areas where one can hunt. That's why most of us make the drive south. Mumszie wrote someone at the Pasco County govt building to find out about the rules. The response she got was how they had restricted it because of individuals that kept digging up water pipes in the parks and busting them or something of that nature.

State parks usually don't allow hunting, some allow on the beach, one just has to ask if they will or won't allow at the front gate.

I have always wondered if the parks in downtown Clearwater will allow metal detecting. I saw an older couple with Whites detectors at a park in downtown Clearwater. Does anyone know if you can or can't?????

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
I didn't know that about Pasco - thanks for the heads up Potter.
I have never had any prob's at Clearwater beach or have I ever seen and signs.
Bill

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Poorman, nice Snook in the pictue. My dream to catch one, maybe one day....

Clearwater Beach and all of the beaches I've been to in Pinellas have been great for hunting. As far as I know there are no restrictions there. I would be heart broken to know there were.

I wish I could find out if the parks in downtown Clearwater are off limits to hunting.

OP
OP
K*E*L*L*Y

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll find out about the parks in Clearwater!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
J-potter, I'd be careful about inquiring at kiosks at park entrances. I've heard of cases where parks were routinely detected, and no one ever cared, until the day that someone asks at a kiosk (or city hall, or wherever), and get's told "no". What's funny in those cases, is, as I say, some of those same parks never had a problem. Ie.: it never occured to any other hobbyists there, that it was anything that even needed "asking" in the first place. So no one ever had a problem. All I can figure is, if you ask, they will just take the easy answer (assume you're a geek with a shovel) and say "no". Or morph something they *think* applies (like "don't disturb the vegetation" or cultural heritage stuff), and say "no", when if fact, they'd never have ever given it a second thought, if just passing a lone md'r in the park.

I think it's best to look up the rules ones-self. If there is nothing specific on the issue (silent on the issue, md'ing not addresesed by name), then just go. Rules are usually available on park's dept. websites (where you can do a key-word search), or written on the sign at the park entrance, or on a pass-out flyer you can pick up at a kiosk.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom. I wish it was that way here. I check the website of the park first or of the county or city. Most information is found there. The problem is when one gets to the park and then there is the big sign by itself that says No Metal Detecting Allowed. We went to one place that was posted and I just happened to say something to one of the park workers. He gave us permission to hunt.

I agree with you about being quiet but here in Florida they have become very strict with laws. There are many laws that us common folks don't even know exists. There have been arrests for trespassing and fines passed out for common people not knowing they were breaking a law. The state parks in Florida are very strict on their policies and one wouldn't want to lose their vehicle and equipment for not knowing (this may be a rumor or it may be truthful). If you look at the page for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission there are plenty of individuals arrested for even simple offenses like picking up certain types of seashells in areas where you aren't allowed to. My favorites to read are the ones arrested for BWIs. Some were taken in just for possession, not even drinking.

A friend of mine that posts here also and myself went to a site a few months ago. We got permission before going and thank God we did. When we were leaving there were sheriff's deputies waiting beside my vehicle. He asked if we had permission, we showed him we did. He then told us we were lucky that we did because he could have arrested us for trespassing.

There were a few guys last year arrested for walking in an area looking for surface artifacts. They were not only charged with trespassing but also with some other state archaeological laws. Florida has strict rules that you are not allowed legally to pick up anything over 50 years old. I guess it's illegal to pick up Wheat Cents.....

Several parks in Florida give you a license to hunt there. Basically they get to go over the rules with you. Fort Desoto park is one that gives you a license that doesn't expire.

I take my son along when I'm not sure if it is allowed or not. The area where I live is Florida has signs in all the parks stating no Metal Detecting Allowed. When we asked why we were told of people digging down so far that they broke pipes. Thank God we have never had any problems. But we only hit areas that don't have signs.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Jpotter, in every one of the examples you give, they are all cases where someone could've found out those "rules" without having to ask a live person (and risk a "no" when no such rule actually existed). Read through your own post, and you will see what I mean.

Like when you cite an instance of showing up at a park and seeing a "no metal detecting" sign. Then merely fullfills my suggestion to "check for rules", right? or when you say: "There have been arrests for trespassing and fines passed out for common people not knowing they were breaking a law." What does that have to do with what I'm saying? Those people could simply have researched ahead of time, as I suggest, on their own, and presto, problem solved. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say that, in response to my suggestion that persons do their own research (instead of asking, as if it was for "permission" at a park kiosk). Same with your indian artifacts examples, license and permit examples, etc... All the same line of thought: In each case, presumably this was info. someone could've gotten somewhere, thus not running afowl of anything.

I'm just saying don't ask at a kiosk or a city hall "can I metal detect here?", because you may just get a "no", as if you were asking their permission. Would you ask permission to fly a kite? whistle dixie? etc....

Some people have tried to solve this "easy answer" dilemna by phrasing the question to a bureaucrat in the following way: "Is there any rule that PROHIBITS metal detecting?" This way of phrasing it, on the surface, appears to put the onus of burden on them to show chapter and verse of an actual written rule, right? But I've heard of how even that can back-fire: Once again, you can get some desk-bound bureaucrat (who might otherwise never have cared or noticed) to point out something they *think* applies, like "don't disturb the vegetation", or "call PG&E before you do any digging", etc... And if you debate them guess who's going to win? Another time I heard someone carefully phrasing the question thinking they put the burden of proof on the desk-clerk, got this reaction: The lady looked through her books and pamphlets several times, and could find nothing at all specific to metal detecting. So she excuses herself to a back office to talk to a superior. She comes back out and tells the guy "No, nothing about metal detecting, but we would prefer you not do that anyhow". When the inquirer objects "but why?" all she would say was that the park commissioner said so. Later this hunter found out that members of his local club (he was a newbie who didn't know any better) detect there all the time, and never heard so much a "boo".

So I guess metal detecting is kind of like nose-picking: If you ask enough people if you can do it, someone will eventually tell you "no". But if you just discreetly pick your nose, no one notices. Remember, I'm not saying to violate any rules, I'm just advising to check the rules on your own, lest you merely get a rule invented (to address your "pressing issue"), where none existed before.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just saying don't ask at a kiosk or a city hall "can I metal detect here?", because you may just get a "no", as if you were asking their permission. Would you ask permission to fly a kite? whistle dixie? etc....

Sometimes it is best to just go ahead and do it and if questioned, claim you didn't know and move on. Don't try to bring trouble to yourself.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I'm just saying don't ask at a kiosk or a city hall "can I metal detect here?", because you may just get a "no", as if you were asking their permission.  Would you ask permission to fly a kite?  whistle dixie? etc....   

Sometimes it is best to just go ahead and do it and if questioned, claim you didn't know and move on.  Don't try to bring trouble to yourself.

City and state governments are pushing more and more that ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law, especially here in Florida.  There have been several that have posted here on the Tnet that they had to pay a $200 or $300 fine using the excuse that they didn't know metal detecting was not allowed.  One even posted that there was no sign there.

But the thing that is starting to bother me is that I posted something that has to do with a part of Florida where the original poster Titanicgirl and I live.  Something that most would not know unless they live in our area. 

No offense to you sandman because I respect you a lot (and this chew out is not directed to you).  If you read up the line you will see that this @ took if further then what he should have, a legend in his own mind.  I only answered his stupid post which I shouldn't have.  Several members have sent me pms because they can't understand what he wrote either.  It's called a lack of understanding on our parts because most of us are just too stupid because we ask permission to fly kites.  But wow, I'm an engineer and an accountant, I guess I'm stupid.

OP
OP
K*E*L*L*Y

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jpotter said:
Sandman said:

Sometimes it is best to just go ahead and do it and if questioned, claim you didn't know and move on. Don't try to bring trouble to yourself.

City and state governments are pushing more and more that ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law, especially here in Florida. There have been several that have posted here on the Tnet that they had to pay a $200 or $300 fine using the excuse that they didn't know metal detecting was not allowed. One even posted that there was no sign there.

But the thing that is starting to bother me is that I posted something that has to do with a part of Florida where the original poster Titanicgirl and I live. Something that most would not know unless they live in our area.

No offense to you sandman because I respect you a lot (and this chew out is not directed to you). If you read up the line you will see that this @ took if further then what he should have, a legend in his own mind. I only answered his stupid post which I shouldn't have. Several members have sent me pms because they can't understand what he wrote either. It's called a lack of understanding on our parts because most of us are just too stupid because we ask permission to fly kites. But wow, I'm an engineer and an accountant, I guess I'm stupid.

thanks "jpotter" for your help anyways! i find it helpful! so thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread