post pics??

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
If you are hosting your photos yourself or uploading them to a 3rd party sharing site, the file size issue might not be too large. However, the images themselves might. You want to limit the width of your pictures to about 640 wide. That way the full image will display on the screen without the reader needing to pan back and forth. Also, sometimes, using larger pictures, bumps the margins of the text area of a message making it really difficult to read posts as you have to pan back and forth. So, keeping the size down keeps things so that people using smaller displays, like 1040 or 800 wide, can see a full screen and only have to scroll down. Also, when you have resized your images, check your photo editing software for Resizing...., then, save your resized images as a separate file. That way you can go back to an original or larger picture later if you want. I usually save my edited photos, then resize them and add a -640, or maybe -NET to signify that it is a file for posting on the net, at the end of the file name before .jpg. Ie., mdfinds050829-640.jpg or 050829finds-home-NET.jpg . While saving the file as a .jpg or JPEG format, you should be prompted to select an image quality (Compression). I usually pic a middle quality. There is no need to save pictures used for the net as Excellent or Best quality. The lower resolution of the screen doesn't require that kind of quality. So, by saving some size via a middle quality or compression, you are also helping reduce bandwidth use as well as making things a litle easier on people with older computers or who might be using dialup. Larger 1.3 meg files can slow down someones computer and take some time to load. Most of my pictures end up under 100k. The largest I think was 115k.

This picture,

050711-DiecastCars-640.jpg

is 640x426 and came in at 99k.

Here is a post that I filed last week. On the same subject. It is a sort of Tutorial that I worked up.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,19172.msg124284.html#msg124284

If that is too much to read or maybe overly involved, try doing a search on the group. I put Photos Post in the search box and a couple posts came up. You might be able to find a couple other more concise posts by doing a search.

larryg

Jan 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here`s my problem I`ve never posted any pictures on any site before. So tell me where I`m going to goof up . go to this quick reply spot, type in message, then go to upper right on tool bar, click on,insert image.that will take me to insert image from URL file . O.K.then what ?do I type in the file # on my photos I want to post?or how do I just select certain photos?I don`t want to down load my whole photo album, to much to boreing and would not pertain.just tell me where to go for help on this problem.thanks larryg.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do i go about posting some pics on here. I started a topic and went to add attachment and it was ok but my pics are 1.3 mb each, is that too big for this site, and if so how do is there any way to make them smaller.

If you have Windows, there is an app for win7 and xp on microsoft site to resize pictures. It ends up being an option when you right click on the pic icon after the app is installed.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my way... easy. Take a pic. Put it on the desktop. Open it using paint. Use the resize function in paint to make it 20 to 25. Then Save As.. (name it and make it a .jpg). When naming it, put it back on the desktop. After starting your text, click Go Advanced. Click the Insert Image above the text box. A box will appear. Make sure from computer is shaded blue. Click the BROWSE box. Make sure you are browsing the desktop. scroll to pic. Double click it. (it will appear in browse box.) Click Upload Files. scroll down to submit button and click. DONE. Hope I haven't missed a step. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread