What Probe do peope like??

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Hello All,

I have a "Automax Precision Pinpointer" that came with my DFX years ago when I bought it... used it a couple of times but didn't really like it... hard to carry... and does not seem that good.. what probe do people really use? I thought about hobby shopping this one... cutting it down to be smaller and easier to use.. but before I do that.. I was hoping for some advice. I am not interested in the inline probes... 5 bad disk already at 42!! So I try to swing as little weight as possible... I took the automax apart.. not much to it... so it would be easy to modify... what I was think was a belt mount for the controls and a coiled RF line to the sensor for use...

Thoughts??

MB

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The best one out there now would be the ...Garrett PRO-Pointer ... or the... Detector Pro Pistol Probe...but the pistol Probe is a little longer than i like the both have a holder you can put on your belt.............

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the automax, but have broken it 3 times. If you look at the probe, it is sealed in 2 places with an "O" ring. When it gets cold out they like to snap or come apart. I ordered a new on before Xmas and it to snapped. I told Kellyco that I believe that the probes have an inherently defective design and that went no where. I wrapped this one with fiberglass strips and fiberglass and no that baby is hard as a rock. It won't give me problems anymore. I also saw another member on here who had his tapped up. To sum it all up: I like the probe but I just don't think that it durable enough to work many hours in the field. Not all soil is friendly.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
MonkeyBoy said:
Hello All,

I have a "Automax Precision Pinpointer" that came with my DFX years ago when I bought it... used it a couple of times but didn't really like it... hard to carry... and does not seem that good.. what probe do people really use? I thought about hobby shopping this one... cutting it down to be smaller and easier to use.. but before I do that.. I was hoping for some advice. I am not interested in the inline probes... 5 bad disk already at 42!! So I try to swing as little weight as possible... I took the automax apart.. not much to it... so it would be easy to modify... what I was think was a belt mount for the controls and a coiled RF line to the sensor for use...

Thoughts??

MB
Don't buy junk like the Automax that breaks if i buy something that i have to repair or send back for another one it is junk.......... If you want one that is built like a tank and work's really good get the... Garrett Pro-Pointer.........

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If saving money is a concern, you could get the Cen-Tech probe on eBay for about $20 shipped. It only does 1" or so on coins, like the other under $100 probes. At least that is the case with mine.

Some of those between $100-200 have a little more range, like the Garrett Propointer or the Tesoro Treasuremate. HH, George (MN)

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Whites bullseye...and they should keep to making detectors because the pinpointer stinks. Better than feeling thru the dirt but not much better. Right after I got it, the battery wouldn't stay tight against the connections so I had to shove a piece of cardboard between the door for the battery and battery...then the switch went bad..fixed it...now the barrel is begging to wobble and give false signals...Think I will go with Garretts soon.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is what happened to my Whites bulleyes the off on switch broke and it gave a lot of false signals............

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
It all boils down to how much you want to spend. IMO, the Detector pro uniprobes or pocket probes are the best, but you pay for it. I owned a pistol probe for a day and sent it right back. Way too huge and not a very durable rubber button. It also has low volume and no vibrate. I also have a treasurmate that works well and has a lifetime warranty. But for the cheap money, The garrett is at the top of the list.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
My Sun Pro X-1, I never leave home without it........NGE

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Thanks for all the input everyone! Still not sure what I am going to get... generally pinpoiting is not too much of a problem. Out in the fields with the 12" I use a shovel ;-) and in trashy areas I use a 4 x 10.... but I decided to use it when I was hunting the other day and it really helped when I had a bunch of bullets I was digging and there were massive roots on top of half of them.. just the accuprobe (?) that came free with my DFX years ago... problem is.. it is now lying out in the woods someplace ;-)

MB

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a sunray probe for my last detector. I liked the fact that you didn't need batteries and it worked of your detector's settings but I wasn't impressed by it's depth but I have heard greater depths on different detectors though. I currently have a Pistol probe because sunray does not make a probe for my current machine. It gets great depth but it's bulky since it's a PI detector and the holster stinks.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=13pt]I don't like to spend a lot of money on pinpointers. I see then as small detectors that can only seek up to 2 inches and to spend $150 or so for them just isn't worth it to me.

With that in mind I use the Cen-Tech Pinpointer. It's only 15 bucks at HarborFreight. It comes with it's own case and battery. I toss out the battery as its a Chinese battery and I don't know how long it lasts. If I lose it or it breaks I just get another one. The $15 isn't going to break me.

Pinpointer 640x350.jpg

K

Kentucky Kache

Mat in MA said:
[size=13pt]I don't like to spend a lot of money on pinpointers. I see then as small detectors that can only seek up to 2 inches and to spend $150 or so for them just isn't worth it to me.

With that in mind I use the Cen-Tech Pinpointer. It's only 15 bucks at HarborFreight. It comes with it's own case and battery. I toss out the battery as its a Chinese battery and I don't know how long it lasts. If I lose it or it breaks I just get another one. The $15 isn't going to break me.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those Bounty Hunter ones.
I havent had it long but love it so far and its the only pinpointer ive tried..
It has saved me tons of digging time.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brass rod on a drilled orange golf ball

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread