What dose everyone use to keep up with or track there finds?

quest

Greenie
Dec 5, 2008
Madison County, AL
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brain works pretty well for this.

Willy

I don't. It would make me feel too much like Scrooge McDuck. I do it for fun 'n profit, so what's valuable is spent wisely (you know.. booze, hookers, fast cars; yeah right) and the rest goes into the pile. Gotta go through the pile though since it turns out some of the stuff is Civil War era and there might be a couple of platinum slugs in there. ..Willy.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Zip lock bags and buckets...

A million years ago I used to think I could track it and categorize it and keep ledgers and notes like my father did - he included place, date, time of day, weather, temperature, and probably a few more things. I figured out that I enjoyed the hunt, not the book keeping - so I don't track any of it...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Think I got some of the rustier finds in the shed. Some of the shiny ones in the basement. Maybe.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good memory. ;D

Nah I don't really keep track on them all either. :thumbsup:

Willy

I just like being outdoors, exploring and finding stuff. Couldn't just sit around all day, weeks on end , just starin' at the trees like a Granola Head (Mother Gaia is just sooo bee-yootiful; let's do some more 'shrooms and commune with the wild rutabagas), have to DO something and finding treasure is just the ticket. ..Willy.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Never did keep track if it was real good sold it and forgot about it. If it was no good to the junk pile. If it was nice Jewelry my wife or kids wanted i would give it to them. Keep track of the things i find ..Forget it...no thanks

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Quest, I'm a newbie, too, and I've thought about this. I do want to track my finds (know it's not for everyone), more for historic value than anything.

I like my computer, and want to have something I can easily update, can create my own layout and do reports with. So I'm planning to create a database in FileMaker Pro -- a fantastic, cross-platform program that's not too expensive (about $200, and you can use it for tons of stuff). Compared to most database programs with as much power, it's got a fairly low learning curve, and if that's still too much, you can buy its lower-powered cousin, Bento (which costs about $90). That would be enough to do this kinda thing. Learn more at filemaker.com.

You could do the same thing with Microsoft Excel, if you were so inclined. Most people already have Excel. You'd just be more limited in your reporting and layout capabilities, but that's not really a big deal for most folks.

If anyone has any interest in getting a copy of my FMPro template once I have it finished, I'll be happy to share.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Others here DO record their finds... here are some other links to check out...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,206636.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,208139.0.html

The second one also has links to inexpensive programs for recording finds...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,132322.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,156351.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,166480.0.html

There are probebly a few other posts but thats a good start for additional reading for you. Remember - everytime you write down what you found it's proof you came into possession of it. I would think I might not write down the really valuable stuff! :wink:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Got a couple old Access databases but on days when I'd come home with pouches full of clad and silver, IH wheats and mems, just did not want to turn it into some kind of business or work. Fine for me for a year or two but again, file maintenance is not what I want to spend my drool time doing.

So I just throw them in their respective piles, old, new, shiny, yellow shiny, junk, special junk.

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
I use photography & a scrapbook method. It's something to do when it's nasty & cold outside.

Here's an example:

1orphan.jpg

I write a paragraph & include a pic of the site ( if possible ) and show finds found there. Also, I'll add anything interesting or funny that may have happened. I started it in 1991, it's 168 pages long & I wish I started it when I started detecting in 1980. It would be 300+ pages by now.

Here's another:

bsa008.jpg

OK, one more......

00000.jpg

If you take a camera with you & update it soon afterwards the hunt, you can make avery accurate scrapbook. I have 166 more pages I could post, but that can take a while to do & for everyone to read!
Anyway......

Like I said............it's something to do when it's not suitable for hunting.
Good luck..........see ya mark

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
A digital camera, with the date showing on each photo.
If I find anything good, silver coins, Injuns, etc., I just make sure to take a few photos of it before midnight!
(When the date on the camera changes).
Put them on my computer, and keep them in a monthly file.
Then at the end of the year I just burn the 12 monthly files to a CD.
Done.

I guess if I didn't have the digital camera, I'd just make sure I put any good coins in 2x2's, and label them, before I forgot when and where I found them.

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey, these are great - thanks for sharing, Mark! Really like the idea of the camera record. One nice thing about my FMPro database is that you can drop in a photo and label it right in the dB, and print it out with reports, so I could kinda kill two birds with one stone. I think your MD journal would make a cool book.

Wildheart

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
wildheart said:
Hey, these are great - thanks for sharing, Mark! Really like the idea of the camera record. One nice thing about my FMPro database is that you can drop in a photo and label it right in the dB, and print it out with reports, so I could kinda kill two birds with one stone. I think your MD journal would make a cool book.

Wildheart

Thanks wildheart.

IM000668b.JPG

I started this book back in 1991 & as you can see it's pretty thick. ( 165 pages on 8 X 11 " photobook paper. ) I've been spending evenings lately transferring the whole book ...pictures & dialog over to the 12 X 12" regular sized scrapbooks. It's going to take a while. I've spend the last 3 evenings on the book & I'm only up to page 52 in the old book. It's coming along real well. I've even forgotten about some of the stories I've written about in the book that happened years ago. It's been good to reminisce while redoing it.
I may post some of the pages here when I get done in a week or two from now.
You're right, when non-detecting people see the book, they are awestruck that soooo much stuff can be found in the ground.
Good luck with however you keep records............see ya mark

OP
OP
Q

quest

Greenie
Dec 5, 2008
Madison County, AL
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been interesting to see what and how everyone dose this.
I'm still not sure how or what I'm going to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread