Ever Detect Old Saw Mills or Grist Mills?

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Did you find anything good?

I was at the local library looking through some history books of my town. I came across alot of information about the Saw Mills and Grist Mills that were around my area and it included a map. All of the Mills were built in the 1800's and the last Mill standing was torn down in 1952.

I would like to research some of the Mills further and find the exact locations on some of them to see if I can metal detect the area. I am just curious what I might find.

Sue

Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, Michiganians...... Correct me if I'm wrong. About 15 years ago I was told that all lumbercamps and former sawmill sites were off limits to TH'er's. Per State law, I was told this included private property..........NGE

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Where did you hear that?

I haven't heard that, ever. I hunt them quite often. There are literally thousands of lumbercamps, and many hundreds of old sawmill sites in Michigan. (I even got help from a couple of DNR employees finding the right trail to detect one.)

Mark

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
It was told to me by an off duty DNR guy in the Wolverine area, Do ya think I may have stumbled onto his site?....NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread