New to the forum and hobby with a fue questions on coils

brian f

Nov 27, 2008
I have had my MXT300 for about a month now and have two good outing with it. first time out I found a few clad pennies, dime and a kea and old drill YA
My second time out I found GOLD!!!!! A ring and necklaces some pennies , 4 dimes, 3 nickels and 1 quoter YA YA

My first question is how do I now if the sandy soil where I live is mineralized? I live in Oakley California near the delta of San Francisco. Perhaps this is why the zink pennies are so corroded and the dimes and nickels I have found are so black??? Any comments would be of great help.

The BIG QUESTION I have is what coil should I get? I have the Super 12 that came with my MXT300 and i get all Kinds of mixed reading with it? ( this may be the soil type I have or just me lol). I also bought the Eclipse DD (6x10) White has the 99.95 offer with new MXT300 and I am not shear which one to get? I plane on doing some prospecting in the Sierras and coin shooting where I live and have it down to 1 of 3 coils. The D2 10" DD coil , Eclipse Shooter DD (4x6), and Eclipse 5.3?

I am not shear if i should get the D2 10" DD coil because it is such a great deal than buy the other coil or not? I have read a lot of good things about the Eclipse 5.3 and the 6" EXcelerator Search Coil

Any help you could give would be very great full.

Thank you Brian

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Welcome to the forum.

If I were you I would get either the litle 4X6 or the Eclipse 5.3 to search all the trashy areas. Your mixed readings may just be coming from to many targets under the coil at one time and a smaller coil will handle that. If you are ground balanced you need not worry about extra minerals in your soil.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman's advice is right on. For most park, fairground, etc. hunting you'll do better with a smaller coil. Another option that I like on my MXT is the 6X10DD. It covers a reasonable amount of ground, but due to the detection pattern it slips thru the trash better than the 9.5 or the 12". However, for seriously trashy areas, the 4X6 is hard to beat and the 5.3 is very good.
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions