Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver coil windings = larger electromagnetic field.

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
My question is that with silver winding, how would the detector react to a silver coin? Might be a stupid question but I thought I would ask anyway.

Sniper

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Silver is the best. That's why satellites cost so much. But I do wonder what a coil made with silver wire would cost. Also, it is a better conductor, but would it give a bigger field? :dontknow:

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
During WWII, in order for the scientists to enrich enough Uranium for the A-bomb they had to make the largest electromagnet ever built. It would be called a Calutron and they needed many tons of copper wiring which they claim was not available at the time due to war shortages. Instead of copper they went to the US Treasury and "borrowed" 14,700 TONS OF SILVER. 14,700 tons of silver is about 470,000,000 ounces that were taken from the US vaults, made into silver wire and "busbars", and installed into the greatest secret project in the history of the world. Let's call that "deep storage silver" because, theoretically, the calutrons could be removed and the silver melted back into bars. As a matter of fact, according to the program and government statements, that is what was done in 1954.

B

BIG61AL

Without knowing exactly how much copper is in a standard coil let just say 6 ounces. Six time the price of silver per ounce. That really does not sound like a lot more in actual cost. There may be technical features that would prevent it's use in a coil. Copper is harder and stronger than silver so it could have fatigue issues. One break and it becomes useless. I am pretty sure that the manufacturers have looked into using silver to get better depth. But as far as I can guess there are no silver coils being produced.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd have to agree with you Big61Al.

With the coil accessories they sell, the double D's, spider configurations, etc...and none are that cheap....I'm sure they must have experimented with silver knowing if they did perform that much better, we'd all buy them even for a couple hundred more than what we pay for the better coils now.

Or have they????

Wouldn't you be willing to spend maybe $300.00-$400.00 if you knew that coil would go another 5" in depth compared to any already on the market?...Without having a 15" coil?...just a standard 9"-10"?

Al

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
The magnetic fields are deep enough now, increasing the field wouldn't help. For example my MXT will read a trash can at 3 ft easy. That means the field is already 3ft. That's why we need small coils and have to turn down the gain in tot lots to get close to the equipment. With a large coil it's hard to get within 2 ft of the metal posts so again the field is reaching at least that distance. My VLF (MXT) won't read a dime at 3ft because it is not sensitive enough to read the dime. So the sensitivity is the limiting factor not the field. Rob

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rcasi44 said:
The magnetic fields are deep enough now, increasing the field wouldn't help. For example my MXT will read a trash can at 3 ft easy. That means the field is already 3ft. That's why we need small coils and have to turn down the gain in tot lots to get close to the equipment. With a large coil it's hard to get within 2 ft of the metal posts so again the field is reaching at least that distance. My VLF (MXT) won't read a dime at 3ft because it is not sensitive enough to read the dime. So the sensitivity is the limiting factor not the field. Rob

Good point...that's what's so great about this forum...varying points of view.

Another 5" deep, or a broader field does mean a wider field in general...and getting close to fences and whatnot....well...

If they could only make a coil with a one way field...straight down...now we're talking.

Al

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R-bass said:
Since silver is better than copper in conductivity then would silver be better in a coil in depth and sensitivity.
Think about it most silver coins give really good sound when you find. So what kind of gain would you get
with silver wire in a coil

Won't make any difference.

- Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread