Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig it said:
OK so how is it I have read several posts about folks finding these things ?

If it is a metallic arrow head, then, yes your detector could find it. For non-metallic arrow heads (or other non-metallic items like fossils, etc.) you either scan the ground with your eyes or dig/sift dirt or stream/river gravel. A lot of the folks here seem to find them just walking along old streams and spotting them in the water.

HH!
TBGO

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or dig a hole and out pops a marble etc

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
It's ok, I asked the same question last year.

The only way to find an arrowhead is with your eyes and not with your detector. When you dig for a metal object also look for other things that might not be picked up with your detector, like an arrowhead.

Also, we were all new at this at 1 time. I have been detecting for not quite a year and still consider myself a newbie.

Sue

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I dig it said:
sarcasim is not what I was looking for
We're laughing with you, not at you.

Site selection comes first, you get to an old site very often by seeing evidence of some past occupation or usage. Broken bits of china or glass, pottery or nails. Those odd but deliberate shapes stand out in the presence of randomly shaped broken bits of other old objects.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I wasn't poking fun at you. sorry if it came across that way.
like it's already been said, when you go MD'ing, you always look at the ground and find unusual or out place objects. most of the sites we search are older. so the chances of finding arrow heads, marbles and the like increase

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I dig it said:
will my detector pick up arrow heads and non metal objects and if so what does it register ?

Like everyone has stated--only metal objects are detected.

However, I've found lots of non metal treasures while digging trash. This is why at certain locations I use a soil-sifter (screen) and carefully check my dug soil. I find tiny old bottles and lots of very old marbles this way.

In Michigan's Upper Peninsula they find lots of arrow points with metal detectors. This is because most are made of ancient hammered float copper.

Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SWR said:
One summer I was metal detecting a Seminole Indian War fort site and dug a period bottle right next to a musket ball. Although my metal detector did not detect the bottle, it was a pleasant coincidence. It also started a spin-off hobby of bottle collecting.

Shortly afterwards I purchased a two-box detector (Gemini III) that has the capability of being tuned (or detuned) to respond to changes in the soil. Works great for finding bottle dumps. You are not actually detecting the glass bottles, but the changes in the soil conditions.

That's a big secert you just gave away.

It sure beats the rod method.

Badger

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For arrow head hunt plow fields where old building was at one time. As you search for relics you scan the ground for them.good luck....mlayers

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SWR said:
Michigan Badger said:
SWR said:
One summer I was metal detecting a Seminole Indian War fort site and dug a period bottle right next to a musket ball. Although my metal detector did not detect the bottle, it was a pleasant coincidence. It also started a spin-off hobby of bottle collecting.

Shortly afterwards I purchased a two-box detector (Gemini III) that has the capability of being tuned (or detuned) to respond to changes in the soil. Works great for finding bottle dumps. You are not actually detecting the glass bottles, but the changes in the soil conditions.

That's a big secert you just gave away.

It sure beats the rod method.

Badger

The probe method works great for smaller applications. Probing 40 acres would be a bit problematic

Amen to that!

And the probe method really stinks in our super rocky soil. Most of the 1st foot is gravel and big rocks under that. Digging a privy must of been a lot of fun back then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread