Is this a cistern or flooded cellar hole?

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I was told this thing i found in my woods could be a cistern for the town or something...At first i thought a flooded cellar hole, but then i noticed that even when it was really dry there was water in it still ???? So im thiking a cistern, isnt that when they built a small pool-like thingy around a natural spring?? An help would be a huge help to finding out the history of my woods :)? I think im getting closer, putting together the clues can be hard after 200 years of change to the landscape and such.? I think the huge rock wall i found out there was from the cemetary across the street which was founded in 1852, so the rocks must have been dumped by the cemetary back then when digging plots out.

Attachments

• cistern1.JPG
    cistern1.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 654
  • cistern2.JPG
    cistern2.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Well OK I've read all the guesses on what the hole might be and I have got to add my1/2 cents worth.
Around here we use to build cow dips that ranchers from nearby farms would use by filling them with water and pest killer then run the cows through it one at a time. The ends of the pit sloped down so they could Walk in and right out. they were about the same size you say your well is.
However the cow dips were about 5ft deep.So maybe yours just filled in.

Reading your post reminded me of the one my dad used when he was younger and I realize I have never hunted around it. It also has rock sides and a close water supply.

Well there is my 1/2-1/3 or no cents at all.

But I know where I'll be hunting this weekend....The cow pit...

Y'all have a greatday.

Red

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for the cow pit idea! I wouldnt think a cow could climb into this thing then get back out, but im no expert on cows, actually I don't know anything abou them ::)

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
they moo and give milk...the brown ones give chocolate milk....i am an expert on that.......gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread