#@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
#@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

Hit my favorite swim area this morning while on my ring quest.Right in the middle of the grassy walking path was a huge hole.Swept it & removed the zincoln from the pile of dirt and began filling the hole.Since it had rained the dirt was settled and I had to use sand from the beach to fill it.These people that don't fill give us all a bad rap and cause the establishment to shut down more detecting sites.Maybe detectors need a warning label like tobacco; "FILL YOUR HOLES"!!! The only good part of this venture was ring #4 for this year.DBULL

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: #@%*&!! AMATEURS!!!

:angry4: :angry4: It just burns me up when I see that!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't know if you would call them amateurs ??? I don't know what you would call it? Un-professional, lack of morals, attitude, lazy, don't care,..........

OP
OP
XL-PRO PRO

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used

I call them amateurs since their obvious target was in the pile of dirt & the ring was about 2' away from where they were digging to China!DBULL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Usually these hunters just don't know any better since they bought the detector off ebay or mail order where the dealer didn't tell them the right way to retreive a target. Some of the videos on You Tube make me sick with the guy digging a hole for the coin. If they offered a bounty on these guys we'd all get rich.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

or the way some of the you tube diggers swing the angled trench tool like a pick as if hey was digging a ditch not a piece of history or a maybe valuable coin i cringe every time i see that and some of those guys are reulars on tnet

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Next time get us a picture of the whole, AND the ring!
Good work!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was a beginner once myself, and only learned proper digging technique from a fellow digger who took me under his wing. I think the manufacturers should make an effort to put this information in each detectors manual, both the paper copies and the online information also. Proper technique needs to be taught at every opportunity, or we will all soon be outlaws.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea I don't know what i would call them either. But you would thing any moron would know to fill his hole in after they was done.....Matt

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is a CW battle site that i hunt sometimes. Its legal to hunt there and is public property.
Almost everytime I go there I find a few unfilled holes.
Ive yet to see anyone else hunting there but they obviously are and need a training course or something. ;D

B

BIG61AL

I was at a park and this guy walks up to me and I'm thinking "great, what does this guy want". He tells me that a woman called the cops on a guy detecting in this park. He said the guy had a full sized shovel and was leaving giant holes. He saw I had a small digger and was filling the my little holes and said I should be OK. Can you imagine a full sized shovel in a park!

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The only good thing is that a large percentage of these morons probably don't stay in the hobby long...at least I hope not. I'm thinking and hoping that they would get frustrated since they obviously haven't taken the time to properly educate themselves.

TBGO

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

XL-PRO PRO said:
Maybe detectors need a warning label like tobacco; "FILL YOUR HOLES"!!!

Excellent idea: put the warning right on the coil.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OPUS1 said:
Being green myself, and would never use a full sized shovel or leave holes in our charished playground. What are the proper tools for uncovering potential findings.

1) Dirt lots, open field moderate hard earth.
2) Parks grassy areas
3) Bounty Hunter quick draw II, is this MD ok for a beginner?

Thanks OPUS1

Here's a link that talks about digging in the grass...

http://www.prostockdetectors.com/recovery.html

HH!
TBGO

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If this irresponsible digging continues with all of the newbies coming into the hobby.....the local governments are going to start banning detecting.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree alot of newbies need educating as far as filling in their holes, There are also waaaay too many out there that also just don;t care and that is a sin.
On another note....raccoons and skunks will also flip over your plugs and make it look like you never filled your holes in, so some benefit of doubt may be needed. I had an experience with raccoons,,was hunting a private yard and dug about 40 holes and then left for the day. Next day I arrived and it looked like a mine field where all my plugs were flipped over and the raccoons had dug for grubs. The owner came out while I was standing there and looked at me and said I am glad I watched you fill all your holes back in carefully otherwise I would not have been happy at the site that greeted me this morning. I now tell every landowner that I do fill my holes in but that the raccoons can flip the plugs over and if that happens to just call me and I will return to fix them if need be.

OP
OP
XL-PRO PRO

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used

This is why certain areas require permits(in my case TVA).However,standing in a park full of unfilled holes holding a detector is sort of like being at a murder scene holding a gun!What do you think an officer is going to believe?Rather than deal with the scrutiny of the officers or the general public I try to fill others holes or move to different site.I mostly think a lot of newbies don't realize the consequences of their actions.DBULL

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

XL-PRO PRO said:
This is why certain areas require permits(in my case TVA).However,standing in a park full of unfilled holes holding a detector is sort of like being at a murder scene holding a gun!What do you think an officer is going to believe?Rather than deal with the scrutiny of the officers or the general public I try to fill others holes or move to different site.I mostly think a lot of newbies don't realize the consequences of their actions.DBULL

Well hopefully someone sees you taking the time and making the effort to clean up someone elses mess.... :thumbsup: The newbies that don;t know any better can;t be blamed so much until someone shows them the proper way. The ones that REALLY infuriate me are the ones that do know better but could care less.... :angry4: :angry5:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions