How small of an object can your detector find?

B

BIG61AL

I found this tiny remnant of what I believe to be a child's toy ring. The edges have punch press marks. It is not magnetic. I had trouble finding this after I acquired the target. Got a solid penny signal. It is about the third the thickness of a penny. I am pleased that my detector can latch onto such a small target. How small of a target have you found?

Attachments

• small  remnent.JPG
    small remnent.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,177
Upvote 0

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I remember reading somewhere that the smallest bit of gold ever found with a metal
detector was a pinhead piece of gold in quartz found with a Compass AU 2000.
Supposedly it is on display in Reno, NV. Wish I could remember more, like coil size etc.
Rich

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually the Compass au52 was the one that was used. And tiny nugget was 4 1/2 inches inside the quartz. And yes the nugget was about the size of a pinhead. My Compass R&C commonly finds #8 lead shot at 6" in high iron soil. The eliptical coil will find it about an inch deeper though, if you are lucky enough to ever find one of those for sale.

So far, not even the Fisher GB2 can quite match the tiny nugget depth of the old Compass gold nugget hunters (au52, au2000, GoldScanner Pro, and Relic & Coin) in [high iron] soil, and neither can any other detector, including White's, Fisher, Tesoro and Minelabs. Sometimes people CLAIM they can, but that's just a lot of smoke and no fire - because they can only do it in "test beds", lightly mineralized soil that has been disturbed by moving it from one place to another.

I have done all the one-on-ones matching all kinds of detectors against the old Compasses, and so far in real life it's been all smoke and no fire. Compasses are STILL the kings of small item finders.

Remember folks, that according to ALL current and past detector engineers (myself included), it is nearly impossible to find something other than iron deeper in the ground than it does in the air, save for copper in very rare instances, or lead and bronze, brass, in even rarer cases.

Sometimes older is still better.

LL

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Well Larry, I own a 1989 Compass Gold Scanner Pro, a phenomenol detector
until it became unstable. Don't know who can fix it so it is setting aside. I was
able to detect a 4 gallon metal can 3 feet deep even with the coil a foot and a half
above the ground. Just dynamite on gold, coins and any other detector use. I
sure miss using it.
Rich

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Rich you can get it repaired at:

Keith Wills
East Texas Metal Detectors
903-734-7773

Keith is the man who beefed up the power in the Compass line and started a new trend for all other manufacturers. He increased Compass's depth to at least 11" (air test) on a coin. If it won't get 11" then it is an earlier model and Keith didn't do the re-engineering (upgrade) on it. Keith can boost the power of the older ones too. He is the man responsible for the extra depth capability circuitry on nearly every detector made since the early 80's. He is currently the best detector repairman available today.

LL

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Thank you Larry,
Will be great to get it running again, it was a real workhorse.
Today I was at the beach with my Garrett Infinium, found $1.58. Last night
that beach (Cabrillo Beach in Los Angeles) was crowded with people watching
fireworks so I figured I could pull out some loot. While I found $1.58 there was
a lady there picking up trash who found a $1 bill and a $10 bill a little later.
"Just another day in Paradise"
Thanks again,
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread