Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII???

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
I am new to metal detecting and bought my first unit towards the end of last year. Used it quite a bit just after I bought it, but put it away over the Winter months. This year I have not taken much time to use it, and now I have gotten the bug to get it out and start hunting. The unit I purchased was the Garrett CXIII, the unit I purchased was only used five times and put away in a closet. I got the detector with 10" coil, Garrett carying case, extension piece for us taller folks, digging tools pouches and a smaller pin point detector called a Bullseye II, which makes it easy to locate the treasure in your pile of dirt. Shortly before I put it away it was reacting a little funny. I sent the unit to Garrett and they found the coil was going bad. They replaced the 10" coil for me at no charge, which was very surprising and they completely recalibrated the unit. I was able to speak to the tech who worked on it and he said the CXIII was his most favorite unit that Garrett ever made and that mine was like new. He said the CXIII was ahead of it's time and still out performs newer models costing much more. KellyCo also gave me an incredible deal on a smaller 6" coil called a "hot head" they said to use it in heavy trash areas. I think they sold me the "hothead" for $40.00. Anyway I took it to Myrtle Beach this Summer and followed several yards before some other detectors and to their amazement and mine I was finding coins that they had not. One was using a Bounty Hunter unit and I can't remember the name of the other unit. Like I said I have gotten the fire again and want to get out in the woods and see what I can find. For those of you that are more expierenced, what is your opinion on this detector. I do believe that a cheap detector is better in the hands of somebody that knows how to use it than a Whites XLT is in the hands of a beginer like me. Although I have found the CXIII very user friendly. Thanks for your input.
Kevin

Upvote 0

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
the cx3 i would rate at the top of the list....only thing i have found comparable is the minelab explorer 2.......if i had it to do again i would have kept the garrett and bought the minelab anyway, instead of selling the garrett to purchase the other..........they are hard to beat in my book................gldhntr

OP
OP
K

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
Thanks for the reply. I hope to be able to get out in the woods at the begining of the week. I live on a piece of land that use to be a slave plantation so lots of relics!!!

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Explore 2 is the better machine the garret is a good machine but is limited in the areas you can use it compared to the EXPLORER. the garret would be a few years old now I should think.
SEEYA ;D Neilo

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
yes the ex-2 has a few one ups on the cx3 but for a very good detector, that is fairly easy to learn, i would go with the garrett.....it was way ahead of its time, and is still more advanced than many new detectors.......can be bought in very good condition for around $300.00 compared to buying a new ex-2 at about $1400.00........if you ever have problems with it simply shipping it to garrett will get it repaired as good as new , usually with no cost involved.....you can turn it into a two-box unit...with an 18 inch coil i have recovered objects to 3.5 feet, notch discrimination.............i am not downing the minelab as i like mine,,,, but not enough to sell my garrett and buy the minelab if i had it to do over again.........................gldhntr

g45_70

Mar 25, 2005
Kalispell, Montana
There's not a thing wrong with your detector, the beach you were on proved that! Just go slow with your machine following the conture of the land with your coil, overlap your coil swings amd you'll head home with plenty of booty.
Alot of the secret in detecting isen't so much what machine your useing, but rather how you use it and the habbits you acquire, good or bad. So head off into the pucker brush and have a good time!! ;D

OP
OP
K

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to get out in the woods this weekend. Rifle Deer season is quickly approaching and I don't like being in the woods during that time, except when I'm hunting ;D
But I have the huge grass area where the have the fair every year.
I will check back with my finds. I really enjoy this site!!!

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
I have the Garrett CX Plus and it is an excellent all-around machine, though not regarded by Garrett as their most advanced detector. Dislikes: the meter angle makes it hard to read when I'm holding the detector in the most comfortable position. The touch pads can't be activated if I have the meter cover on and I'm wearing gloves in the cold weather. Still, it is a very versatile machine and I'm keeping mine, even though my recently acquired Fisher Excel ID is getting most of my attention right now.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one for awhile. It is a great machine, but the ergonomics bothered me. The position of the hand becomes tiring quickly, holding your hand forward with the weight of the CXIII. The display has a lot of good info and though the recovery rate is slower, it is still adequate. The 1350 has a lot of the same functions using the S handle type. If you aren't bothered by the ergonomics, the CXIII is well built, and will give many years of good detection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread