Common Vdi for gold rings

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It depends on the size and karot of the gold ring. The larger the ring, the higher the TID #.

Small thin ladies solitaires can read down into the VERY low foil area. Large men's college class rings can read up as high as zinc pennies. And everywhere in-between.

It's sort of like aluminum: If you took an aluminum round tab, it might read at 25, right? But if you took an entire aluminum can, it would read up at penny/dime/quarter, right? But each item is still aluminum composition. Only the amount has changed. It's the same for gold rings.

And oddly 24k rings (some asian cultures make their gold jewelry this pure) will read up higher yet. Ie.: even a small 24k dainty ring will read up at penny/dime range. This is because the alloys used to make gold into 14 or 18k, lower the TID.

If you were strictly editing out just round or sqaure tabs (in a narrow notch), odds are you didn't pass up too many gold rings. There've been ring enhancement programs, where persons took hundreds of gold rings to test where they TID at. It turns out that only a small percentage come in at "exactly" nickel, or "exactly" tab. This assumes you've a machine with a wide range of TID numbers (like the XLT, etc...). If you had a machine with only 4 or 5 quadrants (like the CZ6), then those lump a larger segment of TIDs into each zone. In that case, more gold rings would share the quadrant of "nickel". But on the XLT, where an air-tested nickel comes in at 21, you would find only a small # of rings also come in at exactly that #. Like if you had a pile of 100 random gold rings from a jewelry store, only a small percentage would hit right on that #.

Most women's gold rings come in at various places in the foil range (00 to the high teens on the XLT) and most men's gold rings come in a nickel-ish to square-tab-ish.

OP
OP
jag1022

jag1022

Nov 23, 2008
Socorro, NM
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II sl
Thanks. I guess I should start digging those lower signals up.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything from 1 to 50. My thin white gold ring reads 3, my heavy gold ring reads 47.

- Carl

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TBGO...great chart!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread