Has anyone visited a local dealer for his expertise and then ordered mail order?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I worked at a shop that stocked only treasure hunting equipment, we would have "customers" come in to learn about the detectors. They would pump me for information on settings, accessories, etc and then not do any purchase. This is OK, it is their choice. If I met them later somewhere they would mention that they bought their new detector mail order and ended up paying a couple dollars more in many cases, but they got a bunch of free stuff. What bothered me is while talking to them I couldn't help the person that was going to buy. This what you get by not having enough staff. Course the next hour there wasn't a soul to be seen on the sidewalk let alone ring the lil ding-dong bell above the door and all we had to do is dust shelves. For this they paid me real money......

On another note we would have customers come in and needed help with what ever detector they bought. Trouble was they didn't buy it from us the boss said so we were not supposed to help these poor newbies.

"Let them go to where they bought it", the boss said. I didn't like this policy, but what do you think? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
S

seger98

I understand the feelings your boss had, The wife & I once owned a sporting goods store, we were across the street from a gas staion that also sold live bait, you would see people go in and buy live bait (not alot of people) but then they would come and ask if we had fishing licenses, I said why didn't you get it across the street where you just bought live bait. I'd get then, they don't sell them over there! Gee, I guess I'm all sold out!

So it's like don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Now I wouldn't go into a shop looking for info and buy somewhere else, I would do the research myself & then buy from where I got the best deal.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first started detecting I went and talked to Bill Alexander in his little shop on I-45 South on the way to Galveston. I got the information I needed and bought a couple of machines from him over a period of time. Once I crossed the line from "newb" to "kind of know what I'm doing" I started conducting my own research on the web using manufacturer's sites and forums. I would then find the best price/deal and buy online.

I would not milk a dealer for info and then buy somewhere else. However, I do not see a problem going into a dealer and, if asked if I needed help, saying "No thanks, I'm just looking" in order to look at and, perhaps, handle a few machines I was thinking of buying. I haven't had occasion to do that, but it could happen.

Hell, if they can get me into the store I would probably end up buying something anyway...maybe not a detector, but something...impulsive person that I am.

HH!
TBGO

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
It may depend on the shop. Me, I would not buy anywhere but my local shop. I say local, about 1.5 hours round trip but it's worth it. Take away the shipping you pay on-line and he is very competitive and cheaper on many things. He sells and stocks a complete line of Whites, Minelab, Garrett, Tesoro and Fisher. He doesn't even have a web site but has been in business so long he does a hugh mail order business. Anyway, maybe I am just fortunate to have this shop in my area.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one is going to get a local dealer to answer their questions and assist them in narrowing down which machine is for them, then the only correct thing to do is buy from that dealer.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Just a weakness I have, if I'm gonna pick somebody's brain, I'll return the favor with business if possible.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Just a weakness I have, if I'm gonna pick somebody's brain, I'll return the favor with business if possible.

I consider that a strength.

I do think it's fair to get information, shop around, and see if local dealer will match the best price you find.

The local dealer should make this known to the shopper, not try to stick to msrp.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use to sell detectors and sold alot of them.I only quit because i moved out in the Country and it would have been tougher for business.
I was glad to have a small time business that offered info and the machines for this Great hobby. It wasn't about the profit,so much.it was more about the hobby and the conversation.

I wanted to add my experience and offer assistance for what they needed.I actually recommended for them to shop around if need be and get the best deal for them. I think every buyer needs options and not pressured into a Sale, no matter how there buying,weather it's local sale or mail order.

I think everyone should visit a local dealer and see if they can benefit your needs for many different reasons.

Nova Treasure

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Mr. Peabody said:
I am dummy, I do all things bass ackwards. I get info offline then buy from dealer. :icon_scratch:
No, you got it right!

In the old days, a store or business owner was respected as the "authority" on what they were selling and people rarely went elsewhere because what would be the point? They would get service, all the info they needed, a product they could see and touch, and a quality assurance. The world has changed so much that the average consumer has been "trained" to think of price. Loyalty isn't considered anymore, just who has the better price. Wal-mart and other distributors of Chinese crap have been instrumental in creating this mentality. My point? People are more insensitive to the morality of good business. They will use you for info and then go somewhere else that offers what appears to be more for your dollar. I've seen it in many instances. Both my wife and I are self-employed with our own little businesses. We know that we have to show people why they should buy our stuff and not some cheap crap. SANDMAN, in your situation, I somewhat disagree with your boss and think that if these people came in with someone else product, obviously that someone else failed to show them how to work it. If you show them, then it will sink in that they should buy from you and tell their friends as well. Good customer service is hard to find nowadays. Thanks for your post. I liked the idea it presented.
Dave.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do prefer to look up things from actual owners of what ever MD I am considering.
But sometimes I will take a look at my local dealer and ask him out a bit, not so in detail as most info I often get from actual owners.

I do mostly always buy from foreign sources as our local dealer adds another 50% to the price (approx) and for that little service I need and want from him I really don't think it is a good deal.. He still remains more expensive after trying to negotiate the price.

And I DO save quite a bit on doing it this way. :thumbsup:

On the other hand I buy much other stuff from him i.e. accessories, prospecting gear.. and so on.. :thumbsup:

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
............. ....in your situation, I somewhat disagree with your boss and think that if these people came in with someone else product, obviously that someone else failed to show them how to work it. If you show them, then it will sink in that they should buy from you and tell their friends as well. Good customer service is hard to find nowadays. .........
Dave.

Good point, Dave. :thumbsup:

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I have bought all of my detectors from local dealers. My most recent purchase (MXT) was bought from a shop 80 miles from my home (no local dealers left anymore), but I was more than willing to drive and buy from a dealer.

Sporting goods stores (pro shops) is a very good comparison. It is amazing how many people buy thei rhunting and fishing gear from big box stores and then go to a pro shop for service. I believe the pro shop or specialty store should charge for this service since the purchaser did not buy from them originally.

Good topic.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great thread Sandman.

I think this is a case of basic ethics.

Personally, I don't do this sort of thing in anything. I don't pump anybody for info so I can go elsewhere and get it cheaper.

If I have one of our cars checked by the guy who has fixed all our cars for years, I don't steal his work and fix it myself (in the case of an easy fix). And too I think he knows this and that's why he tells me everything right up front.

I know lots of people take their cars in for a free repair estimate and they never have any intention of giving the job to the repair shop. All they want is for them to do the hard work while they save the money.

I say if you want to save money do your own hard work.

I buy most of my detectors used from other respected forum members. If my buddy and a stranger have the machine I want (equal in all respects) but the stranger is more knowledgeable and teaches me a lot I'll buy from him and pass on the buddy's offer.

That to me is just being ethical.

You made a great point, Sandman!

MB

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive shopped online and at with local dealers.
With online sales, Ive found that well you are a number a faceless source of income.
With a local dealer you develop a relationship,toss a few jokes around,etc
I went to a local dealer for an 1 item I saw advertised on line for 12 dollars.
After looking around and not seeing what i wanted i asked"hey you have these?"
"Sure only got 4 left"
"Um,how much for all 4"
"Ahhhhhh,20 bucks sound good?"
:o
"SOLD" (do the math)
It doesn't hurt to spend a few 1,000 dollars either over the course of 9 months.
Think you'll get that kind of interaction on line ? NOPE
They see, they know you, they value you and your patronage :thumbsup:

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Sandman, you did the correct thing. If the guy who asked a bunch of questions buys from another place, it is his loss because you know your stuff and you did NOT steer him wrong. If your boss wants you to lie to a customer or not help him, your boss is wrong. Everyone who comes into a store IS a potential buyer...if not now,then in the future.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I've been detecting since 1976 and buy mostly online. When I first started, I bought my first 3 machines from Jim Alexander from Alexander Enterprises in South Houston, Jim was first rate and always helped out. I haven't gone back since he retired a few years back. Believed he moved to East Texas. HH John

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I try to buy local. I like to help out the businesses in the area. I've owned a business and it's hard work to make a profit.

Jason

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I talked to an ex-dealer who said "don't do it" with regards to selling detectors. He said that you will turn something you
really enjoy to something you will learn to hate.

Yes -he got people in his shop looking to buy from mail order. Yes -he got these mail order buyers come back to try to learn how to operate the detector. Yes- he even got people who had a malfunctioning detector bought elsewhere and wanted him to help him fix it. Gee as if all metal detector store owners are "saints" and just do this out of the love they have for detecting

Yes the local metal detecting club wanted member discounts for his detectors. Yes the local metal detecting club wanted him to "donate" items for an upcoming event. Yes even metal detecting clubs OUT OF STATE wanted him to help sponsor their events. He received dozens of requests like this every summer.

So it is easy for me to side with the shop owners who do want to assume responsibility for items bought outside his shop.

Considering the vast graveyard of earlier metal detector shops that have gone under, WHY SELL DETECTORS?

You probably would have the same rate of business survival as you would opening up a Scotch Tape store. ;D ;D ;D ;D

George

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought my first detector at my local MD shop plus the basic digging tools as well as gold panning stuff. The owner and staff were all experts and I also bought how-to books from them. And about everything I learned about MD'ing I learned from books.

After joining some online sites (like this one) I read many comments and stories and MD'ing and why different coils or detectors were more suited to specific searching. Before upgrading my second detector I did some online store searches for the popular brands. I found similar model detectors with either attractive bonus offers, free shipping and or lower prices. Bought my second detector out-of-State and with the savings bought a nice pinpointer.

My current detector is used. Got a good deal on it and also found two different coils also reasonably priced.

Maybe a specific type MD doesn't make any difference to you but I have some specific types I want to do. And if your local guy sells a particular brand(s) he will know a lot about each one that he sells. IF there is a superior MD by a manufacturer he doesn't represent you may not hear about it from him. As far as I can tell most any detector will work and you can be successful using it.

I understand that supporting your local shop is important and crucial to their success. But when $200+ can be saved by shopping online, that's serious money. One out-of-State dealer I've worked with has actual hunts for purchasers of his equipment. That's a nice feature. If you can get actual hands-on learning from your local guy, then I say do it. Just my $.02... 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread